What focal length should I use when I create characters in daz?

Sorry for my bad English. Hi! I'm wondering what focal length I should use if I'm creating a character, because my lens needs to be very close to the face (almost the entire screen is full of faces), I've tried 125mm, and with this lens I usually feel that the character doesn't problem, but when I use 75mm to view the character at *half-length distance*, the face is distorted and looks unnatural.

Comments

• tfistfis Posts: 129

Why not moving the camera?

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,692

If you are doing portraits of the face, 90-95mm seems to be quite popular in DAZ Studio (the value I've seen quoted a lot). It provides little to no distortion, with a pleasing result.  The typical range in the "real world" is 70mm to 135mm. It often depends on the subject, and the distance available between the subject and the camera. As you increase the value past 80-90 mm you also increase compression which gives a look many people prefer. If you like the results from 125mm, then that's within the typical portrait range and should provide great results.

• DH6602636-DH6602636- Posts: 22

tfis said:

Why not moving the camera?

hello ^^
    Yes I moved the camera and I used the 125mm for head sculpting at close range and the 75mm for upper body photography with facial distortion, I now realize that the likely cause is that I used the 125mm to sculpt the face with the narrower width, which caused the head to look like a stickman when I used 75mm.

• DH6602636-DH6602636- Posts: 22

DustRider said:

If you are doing portraits of the face, 90-95mm seems to be quite popular in DAZ Studio (the value I've seen quoted a lot). It provides little to no distortion, with a pleasing result.  The typical range in the "real world" is 70mm to 135mm. It often depends on the subject, and the distance available between the subject and the camera. As you increase the value past 80-90 mm you also increase compression which gives a look many people prefer. If you like the results from 125mm, then that's within the typical portrait range and should provide great results.

hello ^^
    I tried 90-95mm, yes! This seems to allow me to shape the face better, I think now that I know what caused the face deformation before, yes like you said, because of the increase compression which makes me think that the head width looks normal at 125mm , but looks like a stickman when using 75mm for upper body photography, thanks for the tip! :D

• In photography, for portraiture, we use an average of 100mm. So it doesnt create that amusement park mirror effect of concave and convex. If you add a nice depth of field, it works pretty well.