Render stuck at x iterations

I am rendering a scene that I think is exceeding the total vram of 12 Gb, the cpu fallback is NOT enable.

The problem is that daz is not telling me at the beggining: "Hey, you can't render this scene on gpu because there is not enought vram for this scene", the render start and it looks like the gpu is working at full speed but after like X iterations (like 4360 iterations), the render just stops keep iterate and it's stuck. 

This is a problem because if I am doing a render queue, I must watch every half an hour if the render is still going or it is stuck.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,809

Are you sure it's actually stuck (GPU was shwoiung activity and now isn't) rather than simply having a particular iteration take a long time? Unfortuantely the memory footprint is not constant, so it can't know at the beginning that it will run out of memory later on.

• mangiomcmangiomc Posts: 15

Richard Haseltine said:

Are you sure it's actually stuck (GPU was shwoiung activity and now isn't) rather than simply having a particular iteration take a long time? Unfortuantely the memory footprint is not constant, so it can't know at the beginning that it will run out of memory later on.

The Gpu after tot iterations show very low activity(same for cpu), like 35% gpu usage, temps 56 C°. In fact the pc is like it's done with the render, but it's not done, it's still at 95%.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,809

And the GPU was at 100% before that? 35% sounds high for not rendering, but low for rendering.

Richard Haseltine said:

And the GPU was at 100% before that? 35% sounds high for not rendering, but low for rendering.

Yes the gpu was 100%.

I think one possible scenario:

1)The Vram of the GPU is 12 Gb (let's assume that it is all available)

2) The Daz scene is 13 Gb so Daz try to compress the scene in order to fit. So the scene is now 11,8 Gb and full loaded on the Vram.

3) During the render, some program that is running  (or the scene itself)  require some Vram and take 500 Mb.

4) Now there is no more 11,8 Gb of the scene on the vram but only 11,3 Gb. So Daz is trying to render but is missing some part of the scene and doesn't know what to do.

5) The render is stuck in that infinite loop.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,451

mangiomc said:

Wrong assumption, the maximum VRAM available for Iray rendering is about 3GB's lower, since W10, DS and the scene make their own reservations.

Download GPU-Z and you can monitor what's going on
    https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

edited May 2022

PerttiA said:

mangiomc said:

Wrong assumption, the maximum VRAM available for Iray rendering is about 3GB's lower, since W10, DS and the scene make their own reservations.

I know that it is not all avalible.

That's the point of using an assumption. The numbers weren't the point, so I wrote them in an easy way to make the steps better understood.

Post edited by mangiomc on

PerttiA said:

mangiomc said:

However I was using GPU-Z and there was 100% gpu usage and 11,9 Gb of memory used out of 12 gb total vram of the gpu 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,451

mangiomc said:

PerttiA said:

mangiomc said:

However I was using GPU-Z and there was 100% gpu usage and 11,9 Gb of memory used out of 12 gb total vram of the gpu 

GPU-Z measures the overall usage, which includes the baseloads by OS, DS and the scene

If you restart your computer, do not open any other program than GPU-Z, you will see the baseload by the OS, if you then open DS, you see how much DS on it's own will add to the VRAM usage and after you have loaded the scene, you will see how much the scene added.
    Rendering in Iray also needs a "Working Space" which is 1.7-1.9GB's if there's space enough, if there isn't and the "working Space" is left with less than a gigabyte, the rendering speed will be slower, and at some point there is not enough "working space" and the rendering will drop to CPU (if allowed)