May 2022 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Using Props and Push Modifiers/Deformers

2»

Comments

• charlescharles Posts: 775
    edited May 2022

Back from other stuff. back now looking at all this great new art!

A suggestion for those using beds or cusioned chairs or any of that, that don't want them looking like they are made out of static concrete.

A simple thing to do is create a new D-former on the say the bed, or sheet. Then scale down the base node to about twice the size of the character and arrange the horizontal line to level with the bed (it's the red circles). Then go into the dformer modifer node and push down on it in the Z direction. This will give you a dip in the geometry which looks like the character is pushing down it from their weight. You then maybe realign the character in the z direciton a bit, overlap a bit of the skin into the bedding geometry so they are not hovering on top of it.

Good luck!

If you want more adfanced beddding you can use dfoce sheets like from the European Apartment asset, which is great. and remove the bedding and just the mattress, do the same thing as above on the mattress. Allgn the deviot bedspread or duvet just above mattress, hide characters and perform dforce to it. You can angle it in ways to give it ripples and such for more realism.

Post edited by charles on
  • Alias52Alias52 Posts: 283

Who's Next?

Intermediate

A couple of tweaks. Ready to play some more.

Who's Next f.jpg
    2700 x 3600 - 2M

@Shimrian. Love the colours in the new image. The mushroom deformer works well. I like the beam of light you added and prefer the tighter focus on the fairy.

@vpzammit. Absolutely crazy dream. I like the random elements. Maybe make the plush toy head grip a little tighter, allowing some more deforming.

@katywhite. Great idea. Is the character pulling on the nose? The hand placement looks a little off if that is the case. I love her expression!!!

@aprilshowers2065. It's a great dynamic scene. I agree with charles' comment that the bed needs a little more deforming, as it looks a little flat at the moment.

• aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 694
    edited May 2022

Thanks for the advice @charles and @Alias52! I've added a deformer, in addition to the smoothing modifier, to the mattress to make it a bit less flat.

The Great Pillow Fight3.png
    1667 x 2000 - 6M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on

Already makes a difference. The character lowered into the dip on the mattress looks much better.

• VexillusVexillus Posts: 28
    edited May 2022

Thanks for the feedback @Alias52! I have tried to make the deformation more visible / pronounced while trying to preserve the concept of the hand only subtly grasping the plush toy. (I really like the pose with the long bony fingers in the position they are in and would rather not lose that in favour of an actual grasp). What do you think of this? (The change is very subtle). Speaking for myself, I prefer the original but feedback would be much appreciated.

By the way, "Who's Next?" looks amazing.

Edit: The picture in this specific post is NOT the entry. The entry is attached in my previous post.

May competition - Weird Dream (Mode B).jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 6M
    Post edited by Vexillus on

Thank you. Yes, the fingers are very interesting. While some extra deforming might work in places, I have to agree that I also slightly prefer the original. Much more subtle effect.

• katywhitekatywhite Posts: 409

Alias52 said:

@Shimrian. Love the colours in the new image. The mushroom deformer works well. I like the beam of light you added and prefer the tighter focus on the fairy.

@vpzammit. Absolutely crazy dream. I like the random elements. Maybe make the plush toy head grip a little tighter, allowing some more deforming.

@katywhite. Great idea. Is the character pulling on the nose? The hand placement looks a little off if that is the case. I love her expression!!!

@aprilshowers2065. It's a great dynamic scene. I agree with charles' comment that the bed needs a little more deforming, as it looks a little flat at the moment.

Yes she is pulling on the nose :) I'll see if I can do anything about the hand placement - bit busy this month so might not have time.

• HLEET_3DHLEET_3D Posts: 172
    edited May 2022

Title : The beauty and the Beast (The Ocean Version) 
    Beginner challenge  : Action / Using Props

hleet_3D_0069.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 4M
    Post edited by HLEET_3D on
  • aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 694
    edited June 2022

Tweaked the pillow in the dog's mouth slightly

The Great Pillow Fight4.png
    1667 x 2000 - 6M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,778

This challenge is now closed. See you soon in June Challenge

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,783
    edited June 2022

May 2022

Showcased Participants for the May Using Props Challenge

Composition by HLEET_3D

Showcased Participants for the May Push Modifiers and Deformers Challenge (Group 1)

Composition by vpzammit

Composition by tommyskypilot 

Showcased Participants for the May Push Modifiers and Deformers Challenge (Group 2)

Composition by Alias52 

Composition by aprilshowers2065

Composition by Shimrian

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
  • HLEET_3DHLEET_3D Posts: 172

Thanks and congrats to other participants :)

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,783

Congratulations to all those who were spotlighted this month and thank you to everyone who participated!

You may notice something a bit different this month. We had a lot of entries into the Intermediate Challenge (Almost everyone). So in an attempt to spotlight more of the Intermediate entries, I decided to add some additional Intermediate Spotlights. Honestly, I could have easily chosen every single image in this challenge to spotlight as they were all that good!. In the end we decided to sort of look at the Intermediate entries in two groups. One group being intermediate and the other group who showed a lot of advanced techniques either while using the deformers specifically or combined with other skills to create an entire vision. 

We had a very tough time choosing and so I wanted everyone who participated to know you should ALL be very proud of the amazing artwork you did this month heartheartheart If you weren't chosen, please know that you're work was still seen and appreciated and we could tell how much every single one of you put into this heart

• Wow, thank you so much! Congrats to the other winners!

• tommyskypilottommyskypilot Posts: 120
    edited June 2022

Thanks and congratulations to all, some very inspiring work by everyone!

Thanks for your efforts @DAZ_ann0314, that had to be a difficult task!

Post edited by tommyskypilot on

Thank you very much. Great job everyone!

• ShimrianShimrian Posts: 454

Thanks and congratulations everyone! I leaned a lot from this contest and thanks to everyone for their suggestions and feedback. It really helps!

• VexillusVexillus Posts: 28
    Thank you and congrats to everyone!
  • katywhitekatywhite Posts: 409

Congrats everyone!