New PC - How to transfer Daz3D products I bought

Hello. I bought an entirely new PC, and I was able to transfer my content library, but for whatever reason, I just can't get the file paths right for transferring my Smart Content, things I bought from the Daz3D store.

I'd rather copy them to an external harddrive and move it that way than using DIM to redownload. Can anyone make this easy for me to understand? I feel like I'm just not getting it, thank you.

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,262

Put the content wherever you want it to be, then go to Edit -> Preferences, select the Content tab, and click on the Content Directory Manager. Expand Daz Studio Formats, then either edit the existing directory by selecting that directory and click directory edit, or select Daz Studio Formats itself and click directory add. Whichever you choose to do, point it to the "library" folder wherever you put it.

• DefaultNameDefaultName Posts: 368

Gordig said:

Put the content wherever you want it to be, then go to Edit -> Preferences, select the Content tab, and click on the Content Directory Manager. Expand Daz Studio Formats, then either edit the existing directory by selecting that directory and click directory edit, or select Daz Studio Formats itself and click directory add. Whichever you choose to do, point it to the "library" folder wherever you put it.

Where does Daz put the files in case I buy more products in the future? I'd rather just put my files wherever the new files get downloaded to in DIM. I don't know much and just want to do a simple transfer... 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,262

DefaultName said:

Gordig said:

Where does Daz put the files in case I buy more products in the future? I'd rather just put my files wherever the new files get downloaded to in DIM. I don't know much and just want to do a simple transfer... 

You'll want to change DIM's file paths as well, so that files download to and install on your external drive. 

• DefaultNameDefaultName Posts: 368

Gordig said:

DefaultName said:

Gordig said:

You'll want to change DIM's file paths as well, so that files download to and install on your external drive. 

I don't understand. I tried moving files into Public Documents into the Daz3D folders with no success. It sounds like I just have to redownload with DIM again ._. 

• Gordig said:

DefaultName said:

Gordig said:

Gordig's suggestion is good.  Move all of your DAZ content to the external drive, plug it into your new machine, then point DAZ to it.  Avoid storing content on the C: drive, especially in your profile (c:\Users\username\...).  Reasons:

1. DAZ Content directories get very large.  If you fill up your C: drive, you may not be able to boot your machine.

2. If you have to reload your OS, you can eliminate any possibility of clobbering your DAZ Content, by disconnecting the content drive.

3. Making backups is easier.  Managing directory permissions is easier.

4. Sharing DAZ content with other login accounts on your machine and with other machines is a lot simpler.