Been a long time away, but now I have a couple of questions.

I realize tha Carrara is not being currently developed, but I will keep using my favorite program (since Ray Dream Studio) as long as I can get it to work.

#1 Ok, if anyone knows....I am currently putting bones in a character....what I am wondering is is there an easy way to move several joints at once, such as a hand grasping, or am I stuck moving the bones individually?

#2 If I decided to buy an item, such as a dinosaur, from the daz store, would it work in Carrara, would I need to build a new skeleton.....could I make it work?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,796

shift select the bones to rotate them alll

DAZ Studio a great Carrara Plugin you can use edit-rigging-convert to blended weight

save as scene subset

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,189

McGuiver said:

#2 If I decided to buy an item, such as a dinosaur, from the daz store, would it work in Carrara, would I need to build a new skeleton.....could I make it work?

Not sure if this is what you're asking, but when I buy a figure from DAZ in Poser format, it works fine in Carrara.  I'm talking primarily about M4, V4 and similar, which work with my collection of mocaps, including Carrara clips which are mostly converted aniMate imports.  I gave up long ago trying to use the Genesis figures (or any DS content), although many here seem to have them working in Carrara.

• McGuiverMcGuiver Posts: 219

Wendy,

so it sounds like I can't make the bone movements into something "like" a morph target, where I would have a dial named grasp that would move all the fingers and thumb into a grasp at once.

i will use your suggestion of shift selecting. Thanks!

Steve,

What I gather is that if they are imported in Poser format, they will retain their bones and morphs in Carrara?

edited April 2022

McGuiver said:

Wendy,

so it sounds like I can't make the bone movements into something "like" a morph target, where I would have a dial named grasp that would move all the fingers and thumb into a grasp at once.

Steve,

What I gather is that if they are imported in Poser format, they will retain their bones and morphs in Carrara?

depending on the figure, some have pose controls, if it is your own rigged figure you can create NLA clips with just those bones ticked to reuse 

to use NLA you need to create an animation group for your figure

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Wendy,

I forgot all about using NLA for an animation group....will give it a shot......see what happens when you don't use the software, and get old & senile.laugh

Thank You.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,189

McGuiver said:

Steve,

I guess that's correct.  I don't worry about the details, just that the Poser format figures work with my mocaps in Carrara.  Here's an example with several Poser format figures, all done in Carrara with Poser mocaps:

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

welcome back @McGuiver

!!! you've been gone a while,

Carrara is still as good as ever.

edited April 2022

Steve,

Thanks for the information. My grandson loves Dinosaurs, but I don't really want to have to model them for him. wink

Post edited by McGuiver on
    edited April 2022

Andrew,

Yeah, haven't been playing much in Carrara lately. I have been building a show car for the last 12-years & still not done!surprise

Just had a hernia surgery, so I need to relax and let myself heal.

So Carrara is part of my relaxation & healing.

I have looked through your art, and I must say it is outstanding!  I love the style.smiley & great imagination!

Post edited by McGuiver on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

McGuiver said:

Andrew,

Yeah, haven't been playing much in Carrara lately. I have been building a show car for the last 12-years & still not done!surprise

Just had a hernia surgery, so I need to relax and let myself heal.

So Carrara is part of my relaxation & healing.

I have looked through your art, and I must say it is outstanding!  I love the style.smiley & great imagination!

Thank you ;). Good luck with the healing! I’m scared of doctors at the best of times ! 

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795

McGuiver said:

the older dinosaurs in the store work fine in Carrara, I haven't tried the newest models as they will probably have problems in load times and morphs ect... but the old ones are no problem and you can also get good ones over at Renderosity if need be wink 

yes, I have not tried the dinosaurs but Herschal Hoffmeyer's creatures I have do work after conversion to blended weight, hence my comment.

Of course the ones made for Poser such as by Dinoraul DR work fine as is.

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

welcome back, heal quickly we hope.

perhaps take a look at fabian's ERC resources (tuts/samples) over on sharecg.com.

If I understand your original question, you're trying to bind multiple bone motions to one bone/controller, or similar?

if not, the ERC stuff may still be interesting, but listening to Wendy is probably the smartest path, heh.

best,

--ms

Thanks for the help & kind thoughts everone!

As far as surgeries, the hernia was my first....very nervous going in, pain wouldn't have been that bad, but still had a cough from a previous cold.

Coughing with any surgery isn't a good thing (painful & possible damage)....my advice would be to keep your body core strong, so you won't get a hernia!

Been a week....doing well now. will get myself back in shape when I get all healed. (5-more weeks) wink

Got to watch & discuss dinosaurs with my grandson this evening! wink

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 520

McGuiver said:

Wendy,

Steve,

You could use Fenrics ERC,  there is also a tutorial for ERC hand controller.