Convert Face Group Names to Surface Names?

Well just as the title implies, I'm trying to Batch convert Face Group names to Surface Names...

Seeing as how some programs dont read .mtl files. something like this surely has to exist.

Does anybody know of any programs that will do this? or just any general advice on this

Post edited by TimingisEverything on

Comments

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

I would like to see if this is possible in DS, too. I made several copies of windows on a building I am making (can't use instancing in this case) and they all imported with the material names messed up... each .obj renamed the materials something like "paintedmetal:window01", etc. and I just want to change them all at once

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    I would like to see if this is possible in DS, too. I made several copies of windows on a building I am making (can't use instancing in this case) and they all imported with the material names messed up... each .obj renamed the materials something like "paintedmetal:window01", etc. and I just want to change them all at once

The easiest way I have found is to do it in the modeller before importing into Studio. And even then, sometimes Blender (what I mostly use) insists on assigning them numerical instances, unless I go in and remove all the materials and reassign just one material to all of them. I haven't found a way to do them all at once...individually, one at a time, yeah.

You could also do it in UVMapper (the free version works), too.

Maybe Richard knows (he always seems to come up with these type of fixes...)?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,434
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:

What options did you set for material names in the OBJ export dialogue? (I think it has some, I know it does for groups - Iray is rendering at the moment so I can't check.)