April 2022 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Open Render Challenge

DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,783

New User's Challenge - April 2022

Sponsored by DAZ 3D

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest render challenge.

As with the previous months, we are breaking down each month into 2 different challenges. A Beginner Challenge and then also an Intermediate Challenge.

So which "Challenge" should you choose?

Follow the Beginner Challenge if you are:

• New to the New User Challenges
  • New to Daz Studio
  • Newer to 3D Rendering in General

Follow the Intermediate Challenge if you have:

• Participated in the New User Challenge for awhile
  • Know the basics of Daz Studio and would like to learn more in depth topics
  • Been using 3D Rendering Applications for awhile and feel comfortable with learning Intermediate Topics

*Please don't forget to note in your post with your render whether the image is for the beginner or intermediate challenge, and to also mention which of your new skill set(s) you used in creating your image!*

"Open Render Challenge"

The Open Render Challenge is also referred to as a "free" month, where you can concentrate on using and combining the skills you learned in the past few challenges.

If you would like to review the previous topics and information you can find the topics/threads here:

We will be checking in as will the rest of the Community Volunteers to try and help with anything you all may need.

For a list of the current challenge rules, please see this thread: Challenge Rules

Closing Date: April 30th, 2022

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on

Comments

• Daedalus-7Daedalus-7 Posts: 198
    edited April 2022

Let me see if I can get things started :)

This is my first entry for the April Challange. Rendered in Daz Studio 4.20 Iray. 

Queen of Snakes

Post edited by Daedalus-7 on
  • perlkperlk Posts: 840

That looks awesome, @Daedalus-7 !

@perlk Thanks! I am trying to get good at these portraits things. Or maybe I am just too lazy for more complex scenes :)

• Arch Magus

First crack at an entry for intermediate. Have tried two different versions, one with just the magus and another with the two fools who angered her in the first place wink. Would like to hear feedback on which is better, or any other suggestions for improvement.

Arch Magus.png
    1667 x 2000 - 6M
    Arch Magus2.png
    1667 x 2000 - 6M

@aprilshowers2065 - I think a combination of the two would be awesome - if it were my render, I'd remove the guy in the front of the second one but leave the one in the background. I like the idea that she is retaliating but I think the guy in front, while cool with the DOF, hides the awesome lighting.

edited April 2022

Fantasy Fire Hazard

I've been messing around with this intermediate entry for days now (seems like weeks), trying to get bloom filters to work the way I want. I want a halo just around my flames similar to this: https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/candle-flame-1115248.jpg

I thought I could do it with a bloom filter but at a high level, it makes the entire image fuzzy, a little less it just makes it look slightly brighter, and without it just looks even brighter. Help!

Bloom Filter Threshold 2:

Bloom filter threshold 10:

No bloom:

Values between 2 and 10 have little to no difference other than light amount. What am I missing?

april2022-challenge-1.png
    1200 x 675 - 1M
    april2022-challenge-2.png
    1200 x 675 - 1M
    april2022-challenge-3.png
    1200 x 675 - 1M
    Post edited by perlk on
  • sueyasueya Posts: 824

Here's my entry for the intermediate category.- Yoga class. Constructive Feedback welcome.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

@sueya  the posing looks already very good, some small parts need a bit more adjustment to make full contact with the ground.  I like the overall light but for the person in front the light it a bit too outblown in her face, maybe you can change that

@perlk I usually have the bloom filter threshold really hight (the standart is 2000) I set it to 9000 so only the light that rally have lumious power create a bloom effect (this might need adjusting your light sources luminance). In order to give the fire and candles only the halo you will have to make the Bloom filter radius rather small, 0.1 or even below. from these setting I would start to experiment which the brightnes scale, start with something around 0.2. You them might want to adjust the radius again.

If these settings make your image too bright or dark, go to tone mapping to adjust crush blacks and burn highlights. maybe you can as well adjust the shutter speed

aprilshowers2065 said:

Arch Magus

First crack at an entry for intermediate. Have tried two different versions, one with just the magus and another with the two fools who angered her in the first place wink. Would like to hear feedback on which is better, or any other suggestions for improvement.

I like the one with another person in front, gives more of a story but maybe move him a bit more to the side 

@Daedalus-7  Some ideas I had when I look at your image, I liek the pose of the snake already but I think you can get the lady to be more in response to that pose I think  she coud curve back a little more so that her head is mor over her hips maybe even a tilt in the head. or maybe move closer to her with the camera

Linwelly said:

@perlk I usually have the bloom filter threshold really hight (the standart is 2000) I set it to 9000 so only the light that rally have lumious power create a bloom effect (this might need adjusting your light sources luminance). In order to give the fire and candles only the halo you will have to make the Bloom filter radius rather small, 0.1 or even below. from these setting I would start to experiment which the brightnes scale, start with something around 0.2. You them might want to adjust the radius again.

If these settings make your image too bright or dark, go to tone mapping to adjust crush blacks and burn highlights. maybe you can as well adjust the shutter speed

You are amazing. Thank you. I had no idea what those other settings did laugh

edited April 2022

@Linwelly Thanks for the tips, I'll try these out!

EDIT: Here is the modified version.The head move certainly gave more attitude and the zoom in was helpful. yes

This is my first entry for the April Challange. Rendered in Daz Studio 4.20 Iray. 

Queen of Snakes

Post edited by Daedalus-7 on
    edited April 2022

Fantasy Fire Hazard

I think I like it now, and I think I have figured out how to make those flames "bloom" thanks to @Linwelly !

Entry into the intermediate challenge. No postwork except to add the signature.

Click https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/f5/a872d4e42b416c0193d5b84e53055c.png for bigger.

april2022-challenge-final.png
    2500 x 1406 - 6M
    Post edited by perlk on
  • FettbemmeFettbemme Posts: 78
    edited April 2022

Industrie-Stadtbau

Stadtbau.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    03.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by Fettbemme on
  • aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 699
    edited April 2022

Thanks @perlk and @Linwelly for the suggestions! I scooched the guy at the front over to the left and down a little and adjusted his arm slightly to show more of the lighting

Arch Magus.png
    1750 x 2000 - 6M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on
  • Alias52Alias52 Posts: 283
    edited April 2022

That makes a big difference. It is a really effective image. Great work.

Post edited by Alias52 on

Love it, @aprilshowers2065 !

• Thank you very much! laugh

• sueyasueya Posts: 824

This is the second version of my image. I have toned down the lighting and managed to get more reflection. Constructive feedback welcome

@sueya I think it looks much better. Are the lady in purple's knees meant to touch the mat? If not, her left hand looks like it is floating. 

edited April 2022

Zeit und Raum

Zeit_und_Raum.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    edited April 2022

Mercy In The Core

Intermediate

Wow! It's been a while since I had the time/inclination to have a play here. I have definitely missed it, though relearning so many things was a nightmare!

Mercy in the Core F.jpg
    1800 x 1473 - 2M
    edited April 2022

@Fettbemme I liked the look of the city, but the textures look a little too clean and almost plastic. Have you thought about adding an atmospheric sky/dust/fog to add to it? I really like the camera angle on your second one. The colour effect is great too. What did you use for this?

@Sueya - I realy like the lighting in this later version, but would echo the question about pose (Though If I was trying to do that myself, I would suffer similar issues!)

@perlk Fantastic job with the lighting there. I love the warmth of the scene and that flopped pose is done very well.

edited April 2022

Alias52 said:

@Fettbemme I liked the look of the city, but the textures look a little too clean and almost plastic. Have you thought about adding an atmospheric sky/dust/fog to add to it? I really like the camera angle on your second one. The colour effect is great too. What did you use for this?

I try VDB Cloud

good Idea (?)

In Pixio Foto Editor for the Young Man

Genesis 8 

https://www.daz3d.com/space-uniform-for-genesis-8-males

05.jpg
    1280 x 675 - 386K

I have not personally used the VDB cloud (it is in my wishlist, though!) It is certainly worth a play with that. I have also used things like Atmospheric Smoke Camera which can give a hazy effect and is much less demanding on your system. Other things like SickleYields fogs and mists eg:  Fast Fog Iray are also something I like to use. Most fog and mist packages have the ability to rotate planes to get a horizontal band of cloudiness too. Others may have much better suggestions for which package to use but I look forward to seeing what you can get done with that.

• DarkSoulDarkSoul Posts: 21
    edited April 2022

VERY much still a work in progress.
    My Dungeons & Dragons charachter
    Title: Lilith the Fallen Aasimar Pact of the Tome Warlock

Intermediate challenge

Post edited by DarkSoul on

Alias52 said:

I have not personally used the VDB cloud (it is in my wishlist, though!) It is certainly worth a play with that. I have also used things like Atmospheric Smoke Camera which can give a hazy effect and is much less demanding on your system. Other things like SickleYields fogs and mists eg:  Fast Fog Iray are also something I like to use. Most fog and mist packages have the ability to rotate planes to get a horizontal band of cloudiness too. Others may have much better suggestions for which package to use but I look forward to seeing what you can get done with that.

with VDB Clouds

is so OK I think