Switching the top to bottom?

AngelicArtworkAngelicArtwork Posts: 22
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

I have looked and didn't see this question, if it's here somewhere and I missed it just pointing to the thread would suffice.

But here's my question.

I flipped an object in Hex and I want it to understand that the bottom is now the top. If it weren't for also inverting the movements it wouldn't be a big deal but when I am moving smoothly from one object to the other it starts getting awkward and a bit cumbersome.

I made a shoe sole for the right foot and to use the same sole on the left (so that they would be the exact same) I flipped the sole to make it fit the left foot. Hex still thinks the bottom of the left sole is the top of it. Is there some way to change this?

Comments

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited May 2015

Can you please post an image of what you are trying to do, I think you need the Symmetry tool but I'm not quite sure.

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • AngelicArtworkAngelicArtwork Posts: 22
    edited December 1969

I took sole one, copied it and pasted it in. I flipped it over so that it would fit the shape of the foot. Hex still thinks the top of the sole is the part that's on the floor instead of under the foot. It's making adjusting things like rotating etc move the wrong way. So when I fast extrude then attempt to rotate the next area for making straps it's all going the wrong way. So I have to completely adjust what I am doing to the opposite of what I want it to do.

Example, when I used symmetry and free tessalate to add a new edge for a strap it put it on the bottom of sole 2 instead of the top where the strap would come out. Hex still views the copy as being upright instead of flipped. I need Hex to understand that the top is the top and not the bottom of sole 2

Image1.jpg
    1910 x 1015 - 207K
  • LegalizeAdulthoodLegalizeAdulthood Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

Hexagon supports symmetry when modeling. Have you tried using that? Then you don't need to duplicate all your work manually, just work on one half and let Hexagon supply the other side through symmetry.

edited May 2015

AngelicArtwork, I think I'm getting confused when you say you flipped the sole. Are you using the Symmetry tool (the Vertex Modeling tool, not the properties one) to flip the sole or are you just rotating it.

The Symmetry route is the way I think you want to go as it will give you a mirrored version of the original.

symmetry.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 204K
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

AngelicArtwork, I think I'm getting confused when you say you flipped the sole. Are you using the Symmetry tool (the Vertex Modeling tool, not the properties one) to flip the sole or are you just rotating it.

The Symmetry route is the way I think you want to go as it will give you a mirrored version of the original.

I'll confirm that yes this is the way to make mirrored items.

edited December 1969

How? Since you can't create 2 items at one time using symmetry? I just tried it. I create a cube and only THEN can I use symmetry. What I want is to duplicate the sole and mirror it. Like in PS and PSP you can mirror an image...I want the same sole redone into a second one but it has to be flipped upside down to fit the left foot.

I don't understand how you can use symmetry to make 2 items. I want 2 different OBJ's not 1. If I use Symmetry in HEX it adjusts the other side of the 1 object I created. If I put in 2 obj's it does both of them but because I mirrored the sole it puts everything on the bottom of the second sole because that's what Hex thinks is the top. That's what I want to change

edited May 2015

Ok, I started the sandal on the right then needed to make a sole for the left foot. See Image 1 I copied the sandal see image 2 and I turned it over see image 3. I removed the straps from the sole in Image 3 and what was the bottom now needs to be the top as the bottom was the side with the straps.

Since I can't just put it on the left foot from the right as they don't fit both feet. Yes, I tried symmetry, I can use it to edit the same sandal, but it doesn't create a second one when I start with the cube. So I need to scrap what's now several weeks worth of work (I've redone this shoe about 10 times) and start all over again? Because hex can't be made to understand that I made the bottom the top? That's what I am gathering from all this.

Sandal3.jpg
    1064 x 661 - 67K
    Sandal2.jpg
    1064 x 661 - 67K
    Sandal1.jpg
    1064 x 661 - 44K
    Post edited by AngelicArtwork on
    edited May 2015

I could technically leave it thinking it's the bottom etc except that Hex has started putting the manipulator waaaay off to the side since it's crazy and thinks it's not the correct side, and when I attempt to manipulate edges and vertices it's auto locating the ones on the bottom no matter how hard I try to get it to locate the ones on what is now the top of the left sole

Sandal4.jpg
    1064 x 661 - 63K
    edited May 2015

There are 6 sides to a cube. With Symmetry turned on, the blue plane showing on the inner most side of the one shoe, click, 2nd shoe appears. Rotate it around abit to be under the foot but the work is done.

002.png
    914 x 454 - 67K
    001.png
    1366 x 725 - 202K
    Post edited by patience55 on
    edited December 1969

I found the Invert selection while remaking the sandals Pretty sure that will do what I wanted to do. Just select the item and click invert before I flip it. Will look at it. And no, that didn't work with the symmetry it added to the current cube like I said. It did it when I created a full rectangle because it's using symmetry on the obj I am working on not on the figure they are going on, it's drawing a line down the middle of the working object not the scene.

I am not sure how you guys are getting it to work like that. I am assuming that my Hex isn't working properly anyway since it freezes, crashes, won't let me select faces etc if I group items, I have to save it, close it out and reload it to work properly. I am guessing that hex isn't really worth the trouble at this point. I opted for Hex because Pegasus isn't working on my PC, Blender is harder to work with when I haven't modeled anything in years, and I had Maya through Autodesk but they no longer allow the free for anything other than a trial. So, at this point Hex was my only option. I was basically trying to use a simpler program to reaquaint myself with shortcuts etc

edited December 1969

I found the Invert selection while remaking the sandals Pretty sure that will do what I wanted to do. Just select the item and click invert before I flip it. Will look at it. And no, that didn't work with the symmetry it added to the current cube like I said. It did it when I created a full rectangle because it's using symmetry on the obj I am working on not on the figure they are going on, it's drawing a line down the middle of the working object not the scene.

I am not sure how you guys are getting it to work like that. I am assuming that my Hex isn't working properly anyway since it freezes, crashes, won't let me select faces etc if I group items, I have to save it, close it out and reload it to work properly. I am guessing that hex isn't really worth the trouble at this point. I opted for Hex because Pegasus isn't working on my PC, Blender is harder to work with when I haven't modeled anything in years, and I had Maya through Autodesk but they no longer allow the free for anything other than a trial. So, at this point Hex was my only option. I was basically trying to use a simpler program to reaquaint myself with shortcuts etc

I added a couple of pics to my post.

edited December 1969

Another little option that is helpful to switch between at times:

manipulator_choices.png
    673 x 363 - 71K
    edited May 2015

Oh see? I thought you guys were all talking about the symmetry axis stuff on the right side. Like I said I haven't used anything in YEARS. I get it now. I may reopen the other sandal I have and play with it, I reworked this pair and just copied the rectangle of the base sandal and am working on both at the same time making them as close to the same as I can. That might work better lol. Thanks Patience for pointing out the tool :) I had bought hex tuts ages ago from EZBrush but I no longer have the password to look at them since it was in my fried external and it's been so long I didn't figure emailing him would do any good. Which is why this is being such a pita apparently, but I learn better by figuring out things anyway instead of tuts but this was getting pretty frustrating esp since hex was being such a pita just on it's own.

edited December 1969

To do work with "grouped" items, first assign each group its own Shading Domain then weld them together as one. Then copy/delete/paste each Shading Domain to make the groups separate again.

It takes awhile to learn, and one is always learning with any modeling program ...

If you're modeling the shoes to be eventually loaded into D/S as "one clothing item" then exporting out the pair of shoes will work.
    If you're wanting them to the loaded individually in D/S, then hide or delete one when exporting the other one. Then either show or Edit > undo 'til the missing shoe appears and repeat the process for the other shoe.

Another tip is to load the .obj file into D/S now and then and make sure it's all looking good there too. Easier to fix issues at the start than at the end.

edited December 1969

There it is. Yeah I've taken the OBJ into poser a couple of times and clearly I am not done but I wanted to have a look and now I can go ahead and finish the right one and THEN use symmetry to make the left shoe

Sandal1.jpg
    1280 x 828 - 80K
    edited December 1969

Oh see? I thought you guys were all talking about the symmetry axis stuff on the right side. Like I said I haven't used anything in YEARS. I get it now. I may reopen the other sandal I have and play with it, I reworked this pair and just copied the rectangle of the base sandal and am working on both at the same time making them as close to the same as I can. That might work better lol. Thanks Patience for pointing out the tool :) I had bought hex tuts ages ago from EZBrush but I no longer have the password to look at them since it was in my fried external and it's been so long I didn't figure emailing him would do any good. Which is why this is being such a pita apparently, but I learn better by figuring out things anyway instead of tuts but this was getting pretty frustrating esp since hex was being such a pita just on it's own.

You're welcome. i was wondering lol ... okay, now we're on the same page :-)

I've found since the recent [Feb] updates for the video cards were applied [okay last month], Hexagon has been behaving a lot better.
    Have the number of "undos" set pretty high BUT save often 'cause it runs out of memory. That for some reason also helps stability.
    And turn off the Dynamic Geometry on the right tab way down near the bottom of Hexagon's window unless you're actually using it.

edited December 1969

There it is. Yeah I've taken the OBJ into poser a couple of times and clearly I am not done but I wanted to have a look and now I can go ahead and finish the right one and THEN use symmetry to make the left shoe

Yeah! Yes that's the idea :-)

edited December 1969

I did like my re-re-re-re done sandal lol so I am working with the right of the ones I just started. I'll have a look, I know I need to raise the number of undo's because atm I think it's around 4 and that's not nearly enough when I have to remove edges and vertices and close off faces to fix my mesh. I'll look at the other stuff. I just updated my graphics card drivers but Hex is still freezing for no apparent reason. I've gotten where i save after doing almost anything because of the crashes :S

edited December 1969

You guys have been busy, glad to see you've got things sorted. Can I just add a little note about Symmetry (the mirror one), take a note of the X,Y,Z co-ords of the original object because you can use it (add/remove - "minus") to position the mirrored copy in the correct position.

edited December 1969

That's a good tip.

Also "incre save" between "for sure it works" and "gee I like that hope it works" changes "just in case" ;-)

Way up top under Tools is a utility to merge dots ... good idea after adding line tessellations as for some quirky reason Hexie likes to unweld lines in unusual places. If lines are unwelded, when returning to faces, touch anything and it crashes.

edited December 1969

Patience, you mean the Average Weld tool, that's another one I wish they'd fix - I find myself scrolling up the "distance" (Properties Tab) one or two points then back to the original setting for it to work properly.

edited December 1969

Patience, you mean the Average Weld tool, that's another one I wish they'd fix - I find myself scrolling up the "distance" (Properties Tab) one or two points then back to the original setting for it to work properly.

um, no I don't.

I mean the words that say "merge duplicated points" found under Tools > utilities.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the info Patience, I've never used that tool - Its a good day, I learnt something new :)

edited December 1969

You're welcome. HU though, it "usually" works. Today on one of the models I was working on, for some reason it only welded some of the dots. No apparent reason for the problem.

edited December 1969

So then another question...I don't know if it was Pegasus or Hex and if it wasn't hex CAN hex do this. I want to make a circle with the line tool clone the circle move it below the first ring and then connect the 2 is there a faster way than welding every single vertex? The tut I remember (how I don't know if it was hex or Pegasus lol) you click the vertex on the first one, then select the matching ones all the way down your "stack" of circles and connect them all creating faces on the ring and connecting them together

edited December 1969

NVM lol I found it

edited December 1969

NVM lol I found it -

Did you find the Ruled Sufface tool, there are other ways of joining lines (and faces) but this is the one I use the most.

edited December 1969

NVM lol I found it -

Did you find the Ruled Sufface tool, there are other ways of joining lines (and faces) but this is the one I use the most.

I would have to look at Hex. I spent nearly the last 2 weeks trying to get a usable UVMap from the sandals and can't seem to "cut" them right so I've taken a break this last couple of days. I've nearly given up on the stupid UVMap :S

edited May 2015

If you want you can upload the HXN file somewhere and PM me the link and I'll have a look at it for you.

Still have to make the straps but this is how I would unfold the sole -

Add seam

unfold_flipflop-01.jpg
    1673 x 1000 - 220K
    edited December 1969

Pin here, this is roughly in the center just in from the outer edges -

unfold_flipflop-02.jpg
    1673 x 1000 - 202K