Including a Geometry Shell with a product (or a primitive)

3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470

I've got a figure that I made and am going to sell. I want it to load with a geometry shell already applied to it. (DS Only product, of course)

It is a custom modelled/rigged/Wm'd figure...am I able to do this? It doesn't seem to save as a Figure that way. Would have to save it as a scene? If so, is that allowed to be sold in that manner?

Post edited by 3dOutlaw on

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

From a purely IP view...if it's all yours, there should be no reason not to be able to do it, as far as owning the rights to the geometry.

Now, whether or not Studio has the ability to do it, other than as a scene or scene subset, I'd like to know, too.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,434
    edited December 1969

Some of the creature add-ons use Geometry Shells to blend surfaces - I think the Lilith serpent tail is an example. Use a Scene Subset to save the assembly (I'm not sure, off-hand, if a Wearables preset would work too).

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 1969

Scene Subset it is, thanks!

as a follow-up question...what about including a primitive? (i.e. create a new primitive, re-size and change color, set position, and include it as a wearable) Any issues there?

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,477
    edited December 1969

This a question you really have to ask DAZ the company. It's their IP, even the primitives that are generated in Studio, belong to them.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 1969

To be honest, I thought about it, and it was probably a dumb question, as I have to assume its fine. If not, then any primitive that someone made and modified in DS, Carrara, Hex, etc. would be under similar restrictions, which would be ridiculous...

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,434
    edited December 1969

Yes, as far as I am aware primitives may be used for distributable models.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,938
    edited December 1969

I used Poser primitives in a scene I put on sharecg and was told by others who downloaded, while it looked for and did not find them it then after choosing do not look proceeded to add DAZ primitives instead
    so this suggests cubes and spheres at least have some universally recognized geometry by Poser and DAZ
    lots of software inserts cubes for unfound stuff including DAZ as placeholders.
    Blender even starts with a cube, sculptris a sphere, it is assumed you model from a primitive, box modeling is just that.
    Many simply build entire sets from primitives.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Yes, as far as I am aware primitives may be used for distributable models.

Aren't the primitives actually generated by a script?

Because if they weren't, other than size, the geometry would be pretty much unchangeable...and you can pick number of sides/segments to start out with a varying number of faces.

I haven't made anything to distribute that uses them, but who knows, someday I might...and it would be nice to know for sure what their status is.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,938
    edited December 1969

Well my pz3 scene which was simply using animated Poser primitives suggest that they are indeed a script as DAZ knew what to put there after not finding the Poser runtime.