Hololens

ogimusogimus Posts: 39
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I have been keeping an eye on the development of Windows 10, there are many signs that Microsoft has been working to pull it's head out of it's butt starting from the top with the new CEO whom is responsible for the changes. Windows 10 being a free upgrade for one, horizontal compatibility across platforms, project continuum etc.

But the reason for this post relates to this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-hololens-hands-on,29027.html

In this article from tomshardware the writer was in a hands on demo for Hololens. Read it yourself to see the chocolaty goodness of it but to cut to the chase AutoDesk, according to the article is already onboard to support it with plugins for AutoCAD and Maya. Not just for 3D printing capabilities but for real time 3D rendering and development.

So I hope and wonder if there is any chance that DAZ is considering it as well. Imagine being able to see your artistic creation in actual 3D and the ability to a move around the space and make adjustments in virtual format.

I see this as a whole new level of usability and accessibility for 3D artwork and I hope DAZ will continue to work to stay ahead of the competition with support for hololens.

Comments

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

It's quite an exciting technology. You could potentially bring Victoria 6 into your living room and have a more 'natural' posing system as you grab individual limbs and make fine adjustments which are otherwise more difficult to do using a mouse. Perhaps more interestingly, you could use Hololens' scanning to recreate your own living space in 3D and bring your creations to life.

I'm trying not to ride the hype machine too much, since there's no telling just how much of this will actually make it into the final product, assuming a product is ever released (remember Google Glass?). But I think it's a very bold step forward from Microsoft, and I'm watching it's progress with great interest.

• The Blurst of TimesThe Blurst of Times Posts: 2,410
    edited December 1969

Did anyone see the Hololens thing and NOT think about Daz or Poser?

That was almost the first thing I thought about.
    Holy cow... just imagine having a virtual scale model of Victoria or Michael that you can pose with your hands. That's mind-blowing.

Of course, there's a hell of a lot of steps between here and there, as discussed already. The potential is friggin amazing like it was for Microsoft's Kinect (which kind of went nowhere, although its technology is embedded in Hololens).

Oculus sounded like cool stuff, but with Microsoft running Hololens, you actually might have more to do with it besides content consumption.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Been following this myself. If you notice on one of the slides or movies there is a break down of the human body and I swear that's either Michael 5 or 6 being used there. This is incredible stuff and I really really hope that MS makes this affordable. I'm also very excited about the free upgrade to Windows 10 which I'm very much looking forward to. I get updates emailed to me. Been enticing some of my MAC friends with this news and they too are just as excited to say the least.

• ogimusogimus Posts: 39
    edited December 1969

Everything I have seen regarding Windows 10 is encouraging from the ability to customize the UI to resemble Windows 7 or 8 depending on what you want to the universal applications that are reported to work on a phone, tablet or PC. They are going to enable developers to easily convert apps from the Android or IOS ecosystems to work with Windows phone and continuum will customize the UI to work with which monitors you use. This is the big one as this would allow a Windows phone to replace or work as a desktop for people with limited resources.

But the free upgrade and hololens are the best parts, both are strong indicators that the Ballmer era is over for Microsoft.

I think since they have been made into the underdog recently that they have decided to come out fighting and fight hard against their competitors. Sort of like the quote from Yamamoto after Pearl harbor, the one about waking up the sleeping giant.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Yea, also interested in the new browser. They CLAIM that it too will have a wide range of add on support like Firefox. I really hope they go for themes too... I really like how my Firefox works and looks.

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,334
    edited May 2015

- Imagine you have a live size Genesis x figure standing in your living room.

Instead of using mouse and sliders to pose the figure you are able to grab each bone to move and rotate it in position.

- Imagine you can scale any scene to the size that you want so you can place props by moving them to the place you want with your own hands.

- Imagine a DAZ dragon flying trough your room in random animation cylces to keep you company.

- Imagine adding details to textures by painting directly on a hologram of any 3d model

- - -

compare:
    http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us

Microsoft HoloLens - Transform your world with holograms
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aThCr0PsyuA

Microsoft HoloLens: A Close Look at the Hardware
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaTyeDtht-8

Official HoloLens youtube channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT2rZIAL-zNqeK1OmLLUa6g

- - -

Let's hope that DAZ Studio users will be among the first who can make use of those new creative technologies.

- - -

Post edited by linvanchene on