4.8 Here we go again!

PatroklosPatroklos Posts: 530
edited April 2015 in The Commons

I downloaded 4.8, I do not have 4.7 & 4.8 to choose from as I read elsewhere in the forums, only 4.8. Is that normal?

Looked at Iray, should be intuitive to someone to takes photographs.

Watched Sickleyield's tutorial - Iray Uber shaders are not where they should be, do I have to buy something else?

Just for the hell of it pressed "render" on a setting that produced a pretty good render on 3delight in 1hr 45min.

After 2 hours it had hit 1% (on a 4 month old iMac 5k with 32gb ram). No, it doesn't have an Nvidia card. I guess its about shaders & lighting.

So can any kind person please tell me where the Iray Uber shaders are to be found?

Is there anything else I should watch for?

Thanks

Post edited by Patroklos on

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Patroklos said:
    I downloaded 4.8, I do not have 4.7 & 4.8 to choose from as I read elsewhere in the forums, only 4.8. Is that normal?

Looked at Iray, should be intuitive to someone to takes photographs.

Watched Sickleyield's tutorial - Iray Uber shaders are not where they should be, do I have to buy something else?

Just for the hell of it pressed "render" on a setting that produced a pretty good render on 3delight in 1hr 45min.

After 2 hours it had hit 1% (on a 4 month old iMac 5k with 32gb ram). No, it doesn't have an Nvidia card. I guess its about shaders & lighting.

So can any kind person please tell me where the Iray Uber shaders are to be found?

Is there anything else I should watch for?

Thanks

Did you install them?

There's an Iray content pack that needs to be installed, too. It should how up in the DIM...

• PatroklosPatroklos Posts: 530
    edited December 1969

Thanks for that, I did not see the hidden downloads, I will give it a go

• PatroklosPatroklos Posts: 530
    edited December 1969

Having got over that hurdle, I would like to check;-

1. that Iray is potentially better than 3delight in getting photorealistic renders?

2. that my machine, a Mac 5k, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, with AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2048 MB (NOT NVidia) will run Iray at a reasonable speed? (up to 2 hours to get a good quality render from a moderately complex scene is acceptable)

3. Assuming that the answer to both the above is YES, is there a step by step, get you started guide, that does not assume prior knowledge, or leave bits out?

Thanks again.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,982
    edited May 2015

Patroklos said:
    Having got over that hurdle, I would like to check;-

1. that Iray is potentially better than 3delight in getting photorealistic renders?

2. that my machine, a Mac 5k, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, with AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2048 MB (NOT NVidia) will run Iray at a reasonable speed? (up to 2 hours to get a good quality render from a moderately complex scene is acceptable)

3. Assuming that the answer to both the above is YES, is there a step by step, get you started guide, that does not assume prior knowledge, or leave bits out?

Thanks again.

1. Iray is a renderer which imitates light as it happens in nature, while 3Delight has a slightly different approach. That said, yes, a lot of senes benefit from Iray in terms of photorealism.
    However, most content you buy here is created for 3Delight, as far as the shaders are concerned. That means that when you use it with Iray, it might or might not give you the result as shown in the promotional renders.

2. You have an AMD Radeon card. If you want to utilize GPU rendering, you will need an NVidia card. For CPU only renders, it will take longer, but is perfectly doable. There's a thread where you can download a test scene and compare your renderings with others:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53771/
    Rendering times depend on what is in your scene and what kind of lighting you use; also, the size of your image is important. I'd suggest you try the test scene and see where you stand. :)

3. For starters, I'd suggest you give these video-tutorials a try:
    http://www.daz3d.com/help/help-daz-3d-video-tutorials/
    They are 3delight, but they should give you a good introduction about how to use DS.
    Sickleyield has made a great tutorial on how to use Iray:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5FZ5gS9v50&feature=youtu.be

Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • 3djoji3djoji Posts: 1,075
    edited December 1969

in the advance preset of the rendering, you can switch the engine : Iray or 3dLight (as before) or Scripted 3Dlight. Iray is not an obligation!

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

IRay is ONLY available in DS4.8 Beta.

You can still use 3Delight in 4.8 or IRay if you wish, the choice is yours.

Is that what you mean?