weight mapped items

BeaBea Posts: 743
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Is there an easy way to convert a poser weight mapped item to one that will work in DS?

One of my friends has produced a gorgeous clothing item for Star! but she worked only in Poser because she is new to clothing creation so although you can load it into DS4.6 with lots of messages about errors it will not work fully in DS.

I just wondered if there was a way in DS to get rid of the Poser weight mapping for the Poser Star figure and make it work on the DS Star figure?

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited April 2015

Bea said:
    I just wondered if there was a way in DS to get rid of the Poser weight mapping for the Poser Star figure and make it work on the DS Star figure?

Some can work well enough by just going to Edit > Figure > Rigging and converting to Triax Weight mapping.

Some need to be completely re-rigged.

There's also some that just won't load.

Most need some sort of adjustment afterwards.

With clothing, it's probably easiest to load it, export it as an obj, bring that obj back in and rig from scratch.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited May 2015

Bea said:
    Is there an easy way to convert a poser weight mapped item to one that will work in DS?

One of my friends has produced a gorgeous clothing item for Star! but she worked only in Poser because she is new to clothing creation so although you can load it into DS4.6 with lots of messages about errors it will not work fully in DS.

hey bea, star doesn't have any projection templates yet. Things that will fit close to the body work reasonably well without but skirts are more hit and miss depending on the style. It should be a case of just going to parameters and using the fit to option which will pop up Autofit as there are no templates just click okay. For close fitting items this should work. If you are talking about the new fifties dress that may require a bit of adjustment using the weight brush. Then save it as a support asset.

You could also convert to triax and then use the transfer utility this will give more control but is a bit more complex than Autofit. I converted Jan's dress for dawn using Autofit to ds and then used the weight map brush in smoothing mode to fine tune it but had projection templates for it.

Post edited by Pendraia on
  • BeaBea Posts: 743
    edited December 1969

Thanks Pendraia, its the Star Pupil and most things will load after a long time and work well) but not the skirt :( :( I could not find where to actually convert from weight mapping to triax

where do you get projection templates?

edited May 2015

Bea said:
    Thanks Pendraia, its the Star Pupil and most things will load after a long time and work well) but not the skirt :( :( I could not find where to actually convert from weight mapping to triax

where do you get projection templates?

There currently aren't any. Littlefox did indicate over at RDNA that she was going to make some for her. Dawn's were initially made by Dvl-Lvd and eventually Hivewire released some official ones. So unless someone makes some for Star we will have to wait for Littlefox to do it. I've looked at a couple of times but it's above my skill level as I'm still learning to weight map effectively.

To convert Poser weight mapping to DS weight mapping

1. Select the item in the scene tab
    2. I normally right click on the triangle with lines(top right hand side to get the menu up but you can also right click on the tab label to get the same menu up.
    3. Edit/rigging/convert rigging to weight mapping
    4. It should have triax already selected just click okay.

Then click on the transfer utility to get the dialogue box for that up.
    Click Star in the source and your item in target. Should be able to leave the other boxes as default.

Click on show options make sure that transfer morphs is also clicked. I will often tick add smoothing modifier as it will give you collision and you don't have to have any smoothing dialed in if you don't want it.

Click okay

Go to file/save as/support asset/figure\prop assets.

A dialogue box will pop up. The first one sets the content type and this will show on the icon. For clothing it should be follower/wardrobe/your item iirc.

Second one sets the category it will show up under the default menu as well as where it shows up in the Daz format section.

Third is compatibility and I think refers to the set it belongs to but not totally sure...

Fourth is the figure it is compatible for.

Hope this helps...sing out if you need more info.

Edited to add: even if the other stuff will load I would transfer them to DS weightmapping as they will load quicker and work better. I have done this and then saved with the Lil witch outfit from rendo. I haven't seen the pupil one I will have to check it out. I'm holding on to my cash at the moment as I'm waiting for baby Luna...lol I keep getting tempted by star stuff though. I like your new texture but I'm going to have to get human surface shader 2 before I buy it.

Post edited by Pendraia on
    edited December 1969

Thanks :) You only need that for the hair, the clothing textures will work without that :) :) But I like the way the hair looks using that shader.

I will try this and see how it goes.

edited December 1969

Bea said:
    Thanks :) You only need that for the hair, the clothing textures will work without that :) :) But I like the way the hair looks using that shader.

No worries...I still have to get the outfit yet. It's on my list with some other stuff unfortunately with the us dollar so high against the australian it's reduced what I can buy. Wish it was back at $1 for $1 again.
    edited May 2015

Pendraia said:
    Bea said:

No worries...I still have to get the outfit yet. It's on my list with some other stuff unfortunately with the us dollar so high against the australian it's reduced what I can buy. Wish it was back at $1 for $1 again.

tell me about it :)

Let me know when you get the outfit and I will arrange for you to have my textures :)

Post edited by Bea on
    edited December 1969

Bea said:
    Pendraia said:
    Bea said:

tell me about it :)

Let me know when you get the outfit and I will arrange for you to have my textures :) thanks Bea! : ) That's very kind...