Looking for Genesis hair..totally lost.

TeofaTeofa Posts: 823
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hello, I'm very new to this. I really don't know all the acronyms for products, it is overwhelming a4 v4 v5 etc.

I looked at the hair list. I have no clue what most of it is or what the initials, abbreviations are. I apologize.

All I would like is to be pointed at Genesis female hair. All my searches come up pretty empty.

I have the basic DAZ4 free package.

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

If you go to the Content Library tab, DAZ Studio Formats > My Library > People > Genesis > Hair, you will see all of the hair that comes with DS4, and will fit to Genesis.

If you mean searching for hair in the store, then anything with a 4 or a 3 in it is for Generation 4 or Generation 3 figures respectively. The abbreviations are A4 (Aiko 4), V4 (Victoria 4), M4 (Michael 4), and there are others too, but generally where it does not mention Genesis specifically, then it is not designed for Genesis.

Some hair for V4 etc, can be made to fit Genesis by placing it in the viewport on the head of Genesis, adjusting it, and perhaps a little scaling, and then 'parenting' the item in place, so that it moves with the figure. Most hair that you buy will 'Fit To' the figure it was made for with no problems.

I will have a look in the strore for you, and post a link here if I can get the search to work properly.

edited December 1969

I quick look in the store found these, I went to Shop > Hair > Genesis, and there are 77 items:
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/hair?compat_figures=28

On the product page you will see this kind of thing for most items which gives a bit more info:

What's Included & Features

•Full and Feathered Hair (DSF):
    ◦Automatically fits any Genesis character
    ◦Movement morphs
    •1 texture & 1 transparency map
    •DAZ Studio MAT pose file

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited August 2012

A stands for Aiko (and number is for generation), V is for Victoria, M is for Michael, H is for Hiro, S is for Stephanie, and so on.

Here's a list of Genesis-compatible hair.

Edit: Oh crud, slowpoked! :lol:

Edit 2: AND, Victoria 5 and Michael 5 are "Genesis", so keep that in mind.

Post edited by Skiriki on
  • TeofaTeofa Posts: 823
    edited December 1969

Ok, thank you very much. V5 = Genesis helps, that is the info I was looking for.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Moved to The New Users Help forum, as it is not an offer of a freebie

edited August 2012

Well. I was trying to find Genesis freebie hair. Perhaps I should have been more clear. Or posted in the correct place.

Basically I cannot seem to find out just what is compatible with Genesis and what is not. I find tons of stuff for V4, V4.2, etc.

Very few items on search, anywhere, for Genesis. I just started this, and Im not quite sure I'm willing to toss out piles of cash for things yet, as it is the morphing bundle is priority for me as a purchase.

Post edited by Teofa on
    edited December 1969

The 'FreePository' is a place for posting links to freebies that YOU are giving away, not a place to ask for freebies.

There is a thread at the top of the freebie forum here : http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/57/ and it is for asking for freebies as opposed to offering them.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited August 2012

There's not a lot of free Genesis-compatible hair out there, at least in my experience. If you join the Platinum Club for a month ($30) you can grab a bunch of hair (and other things) at $1.99 each, so if you have a budget of $50-$100 or more that could be a good way to go.

Keep in mind that hair that hair that was not made for Genesis CAN be used with Genesis--it just may take a little manual adjusting to get it to fit properly. Or sometimes a lot of manual adjusting...but it's a good skill to learn because it greatly expands the variety of free and paid hair products you can use with Genesis once you know how. I'm actually working on a tutorial* that explains how to do this sort of thing, and will post the tutorial when it's done (or at least done enough to be useful) but one method, briefly explained, is as follows:

Start with Genesis in the default position and pose. f you have the V4 and M4 Shapes for Genesis it may be helpful to dial up the shape corresponding to the figure that the hair was designed to work with...but that's optional. Load the hair. Chances are, it'll load too high or too low, but otherwise will be in the right position. Select the hair and go to the Parameters tab. Zoom in so you can see what's going on. Adjust the y-position slider until the hair is in the right vertical position. You may need to adjust some other sliders as well--scale (or one or more of x-scale, y-scale, and z-scale) is a common one, especially if you've already reshaped your Genesis.

When it's looking as close to perfect as you can get it, take a look at any morph fit sliders in the Parameters tab, and/or pose sliders in the Posing tab, to fine-tun the fit. Finally you'll want to parent the hair to the Genesis figure's head. There are several ways to do this--you can go to the Scene tab, and drag-and-drop the hair to the head (you'll have to expand out Genesis by clicking the triangle next to it), or right-click the hair in the main viewing pane and select Change Parent. Make sure "Parent in Place" is selected. Now that your hair is parented, you should be able to move Genesis around and the hair will follow it!

Hope this is helpful, and feel free to ask if you have any more questions about it.

*I probably should add a disclaimer to this... I may be writing a tutorial, but please don't mistake me for some kind of expert! Much of what I know on the subject, I learned quite recently from others on this very forum. The main reason I'm doing the tutorial is because I wanted to consolidate all this information in a single place. The tutorial will show up in the New User forum within a couple of weeks or so.

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited December 1969

Thank you Scott. :). Im on a mission to recreate the character I played in Star Wars Galaxies for 8 years. Guess I will have to wait for the budget to catch up.

I am going to experiment with fitting the Aiko hair I have just to see if I can.

• SlormSlorm Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

I also have a question about the version numbers. I have some old V4.1 bundles which I got for Poser a long time back. Will these work in Daz 3D 4.5 or am I better of just buying a V4.2 set instead?

edited August 2012

standfast said:
    Well. I was trying to find Genesis freebie hair. Perhaps I should have been more clear. Or posted in the correct place.

Basically I cannot seem to find out just what is compatible with Genesis and what is not. I find tons of stuff for V4, V4.2, etc.

Very few items on search, anywhere, for Genesis. I just started this, and Im not quite sure I'm willing to toss out piles of cash for things yet, as it is the morphing bundle is priority for me as a purchase.

Have you checked Kerya's free hair list, to see if there is anything there that you can use. If anyone woluld know where there was any free hair for genesis it is Kerya.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/447/

I also have a question about the version numbers. I have some old V4.1 bundles which I got for Poser a long time back. Will these work in Daz 3D 4.5 or am I better of just buying a V4.2 set instead?

Did you mean to post this query in a different thread? or are you talking about hair in bundles ?
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Did you mean to post this query in a different thread? or are you talking about hair in bundles ?

Sorry for not being clear, my question is linked mainly to the OP's first query on versions rather than the second part on hair. However the Victoria Pro 4.1 bundle included Cynx hair and textures so probably still relevant. I'll repost if you feel its off topic

edited August 2012

BTW I forgot that this had been copied over fromt the old Forums, for the benefit of new users.

It is somewhat frivolous in parts, but nonetheless contains a lot of information about what terms and acronyms used in the 3D world all mean.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/46/

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Hope this is helpful, and feel free to ask if you have any more questions about it.

*I probably should add a disclaimer to this... I may be writing a tutorial, but please don't mistake me for some kind of expert! Much of what I know on the subject, I learned quite recently from others on this very forum. The main reason I'm doing the tutorial is because I wanted to consolidate all this information in a single place. The tutorial will show up in the New User forum within a couple of weeks or so.

Yes, very helpful. My girl thanks you for her new hair. :)

thanks.png
    285 x 343 - 167K
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Wow, that looks great! Nice work. :)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Slorm said:
    chohole said:

Sorry for not being clear, my question is linked mainly to the OP's first query on versions rather than the second part on hair. However the Victoria Pro 4.1 bundle included Cynx hair and textures so probably still relevant. I'll repost if you feel its off topic

If you go to your Itemized Order History and reset the bundle you'll get updated versions of everything.

edited December 1969

Brilliant, thanks for that I'll give it a go