Is there anyway to make a symmetrical morph using Hexagon?

Is there anyway to make a symmetrical morph using Hexagon?

Any use of the symmetry tool does not product an animatable morph in D/S. {squishes it and flips the clothing}

Comments

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,429

I can't test anything on my current system, as Hexagon is incompatible with it, but I've used the symmetry tool successfully in the past. An alternative method might be possible by sculpting half, and then using Morph Loader Pro's "Morph Mirroring" options when bringing the morph back into DS.

• Thank you for replying. I've used the symmetry tool quite often but it's not helpful for these pose morphs I'm trying to make. In D/S the garment flips {because that's how Hexagon is making the symmetry apparently}.

Tried "all" the morph mirroring options in D/S, no joy there either.

So I'm hoping that there's some additional feature or trick that I've missed.

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited March 2022

Just an idea, not tried it. Could you do the one side at a time (taking a note of the changes)  then use DS dials to have a move left, move right and move both sides. Using New Properties and ERC Freeze - I'm looking at it as a pair of curtains coming together and wind morphs.

I'll have a look at the problem this end and see if I can figure something out using symmetry, as you know I don't make clothes so I'll probably mess things up :)

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • Wee Dangerous John said:

Just an idea, not tried it. Could you do the one side at a time (taking a note of the changes)  then use DS dials to have a move left, move right and move both sides. Using New Properties and ERC Freeze - I'm looking at it as a pair of curtains coming together and wind morphs.

I'll have a look at the problem this end and see if I can figure something out using symmetry, as you know I don't make clothes so I'll probably mess things up :)

These pose morphs are more complicated ... need left/right swap done. Character figure is Bugga Boo. Poses have the arms intersecting the body. Clothing has large long sleeves. So I used dForce and a lot of work in Hexagon to make "pose morphs" for the clothing.

I've tried for the swap sides, didn't work. I mean I can the Hexagon symmetry to make a full morph of the gown BUT said morph cannot be used for animations at all. It squishes the gown together and draws it out to place to make the pose. Fine if one is only rendering stills of just that pose with no other adjustments - but that's not the quality of pose morphs I normally release.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 7,986
    edited March 2022

Here's an image of the clothing I want to be able to make a symmetrical morph of - without it squishing in the middle and flipping side to side.

the gown seeking mirror morphs.png
    1000 x 1000 - 459K
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 871
    edited March 2022

Lol your bugaboo & pose is cute.

So did you get this figured out?

Have made many symm and a-symm-morphs  for years now, and must admit, without a video, am somewhat unclear still what this means: "without it squishing in the middle and flipping side to side."
    Can guess, but maybe am wrong.

IMO, from the image, you can't make a symm-morph for that.  Symm only works "properly" for default pose where L&R are same. Or am I misunderstanding your intent?
    For that pose, you would be limited to maybe using custom selection sets, morph flipping maybe (depending what u want) and be left with making asymm morphs.

Not sure if you have? but MarvDesigner and that particular outfit would symm so fast.  Probably total less than 2 minutes once avatar is imported.

Post edited by Saxa -- SD on
  • Saxa -- SD said:

Lol your bugaboo & pose is cute.

So did you get this figured out?

Have made many symm and a-symm-morphs  for years now, and must admit, without a video, am somewhat unclear still what this means: "without it squishing in the middle and flipping side to side."
    Can guess, but maybe am wrong.

IMO, from the image, you can't make a symm-morph for that. [true] Symm only works "properly" for default pose where L&R are same. Or am I misunderstanding your intent?
    For that pose, you would be limited to maybe using custom selection sets, morph flipping maybe (depending what u want) and be left with making asymm morphs.

Not sure if you have? but MarvDesigner and that particular outfit would symm so fast.  Probably total less than 2 minutes once avatar is imported.

Lol, nope. 

"without it squishing in the middle...."  Hexagon makes the symmetry by reversing the sides 'the painful way.' Flattens it, then expands it reversing everything. Now for modeling .obj files, this is fine. For everything else it may be fine. But for clothing morphs, no. And the why is because the mesh has been physically reversed, when D/S is applying the morph, it too is squishing/flattening the clothing and then reversing everything. End result looks good, but this cannot be animated. For stills, not generally an issue.

Bugga Boo is an extreme character figure obviously. Available for Bugga Boo is a nice set of poses. There is the pose A and then the symmetrical pose B. Why the stores are not flooded with long skirts and big long sleeves is because these are a heck of a lot of work most people would not waste their time with IMHO. I guess I like challenges in life ;-)

No I do not have MarvDesigner. I've been using D/S's dForce for simulations. Then bring that into Hexagon to polish the morph and send it back to D/S to make the morph in the clothing. I understand what it was doing, was hoping there might be a way to make use of the finished A morphs to make more quickly the B morphs. As things stand right now, if this gets released it'll be going out the instructions that if they want the B pose, take a render of the A pose and flip it in an image editor.

There is a good reason why most clothing ends before the arms begin, big gap, then long armbands.

It also doesn't help the clothing morph process if the pose of the figure has its own mesh intersecting. So sims being run for Bugga Boo have to be run from the default for Bugga Boo "A" pose. Then in Hexagon I can assure everybody it is not a 2 minutes job to polish the morph. But she's so cute ...

• Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 871
    edited March 2022

Aha lol, i think I get what you are after.

my short version to more in depth below:
    You could tilt bugaboo (L or R) so fabric drapes further away from figure in that one-sided asymm pose, follow numbered steps below (which you prbly know most or all), and then the resulting morph would fit better when step 4 is done.  But then it would require another sim. Oh joy.

Also, if memory serves me right you also have to flip Bugaboo pose in DS first for step 3 to work properly. Critcial in fact i think now.  This would tie into wierd flips etc. Remember that. (Been a while since i did this).

more in depth (again, most or all u prbly know, but posting here for completeness):
    To re-state (to make sure i got this), u are making a-symm morphs for Pose A (asymm) and trying to use those one-sided morphs to make a 2-sided symm-morph for Pose B (symm).

The only way to do this with mixed results would be to:
    (1) make 2 selection sets: Left vs Right
    (2) attenuate via these
    (3) And, the side you did not work on, you have to flip it in the morph loader with -x or x (the reverse) (and if memory serves me right FLIP the pose too first before making this 2nd morph in DS or won't work)
    note: this works pretty good for body, but guess "unknown or mixed" results for clothing that has to drape without poke-through.
    (4) then if you like result in 3, make a new 3rd morph combining again L&R changes

By the way, not sure if I was clear enough, but the MarvDesigner taking 2minutes - that's simm And obj back to DS for new morph.
    Seriously may be so worth while to save up batch of clothes and get MD for 1 month?
    IMO, Hex remains awesome with it's instant bridge but in this case is a very slow tool for clothes, though it has really some good uses for some MD clothing prep.
    Cos lol, clothing designs are all over the place.

Anyway, good luck with your advanced Hex adventures  smiley

And she is soo cuteheart

Post edited by Saxa -- SD on
  • Saxa -- SD said:

Aha lol, i think I get what you are after.

my short version to more in depth below:
    You could tilt bugaboo (L or R) so fabric drapes further away from figure in that one-sided asymm pose, follow numbered steps below (which you prbly know most or all), and then the resulting morph would fit better when step 4 is done.  But then it would require another sim. Oh joy.

Also, if memory serves me right you also have to flip Bugaboo pose in DS first for step 3 to work properly. Critcial in fact i think now.  This would tie into wierd flips etc. Remember that. (Been a while since i did this).

more in depth (again, most or all u prbly know, but posting here for completeness):
    To re-state (to make sure i got this), u are making a-symm morphs for Pose A (asymm) and trying to use those one-sided morphs to make a 2-sided symm-morph for Pose B (symm).

The only way to do this with mixed results would be to:
    (1) make 2 selection sets: Left vs Right
    (2) attenuate via these
    (3) And, the side you did not work on, you have to flip it in the morph loader with -x or x (the reverse) (and if memory serves me right FLIP the pose too first before making this 2nd morph in DS or won't work)
    note: this works pretty good for body, but guess "unknown or mixed" results for clothing that has to drape without poke-through.
    (4) then if you like result in 3, make a new 3rd morph combining again L&R changes

By the way, not sure if I was clear enough, but the MarvDesigner taking 2minutes - that's simm And obj back to DS for new morph.
    Seriously may be so worth while to save up batch of clothes and get MD for 1 month?
    IMO, Hex remains awesome with it's instant bridge but in this case is a very slow tool for clothes, though it has really some good uses for some MD clothing prep.
    Cos lol, clothing designs are all over the place.

Anyway, good luck with your advanced Hex adventures  smiley

And she is soo cuteheart

Thank you, I think I get you're saying. I had tried some swapping features in D/S and ended up with 2 sides doing the same thing. Maybe some more trials with those features will prove helpful.

I'm getting to the stage of possibly releasing the gown "as is" sometime next week along with the head scarf. Then please, feel free to test it out in MD.