Renders Like This In Studio

Fragg1960Fragg1960 Posts: 354
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I have a pretty good idea how to do this, but I'm just wondering if there are other ways. I use renders as drawing reference and I'd love to be able to render out of Studio in a style like the picture I attached. I like the starkness of the image and that render style really helps to visually break down the shadows/features.

I figure I can do it using Visual Style Shaders (light grey preset) as a starting point and then play with the various settings until I get something like it. Are there other ways to get that stark sculpted look?

BD3.jpg
541 x 1072 - 112K

Comments

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Using either the Advanced Lights by Ageofarmour or the Uber Environment you can do the ambient occlusion with an extra light for shadows.

Make youself a shader preset from a primative with the shade of grey you want to use and then apply it to all the surfaces of the models you use instead of doing it manually

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

I use http://www.daz3d.com/sculptural-genesis-ultra-fun-kit for things like that. It only comes out right on Genesis 1 though because of it's special UV map.

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

With DS 4.8 beta and Iray

Select all objects. Apply DAZ Default Matte shader. Rip off all the diffuse and specular maps. Apply a grey diffuse (I used mid grey (128,128,128)) and adjust specular strength and glossiness

Rendered with Default sunsky and adjusted a few values in tone mapping

greysculptIray.JPG
    1134 x 927 - 112K
  • VhardamisVhardamis Posts: 576
    edited December 1969

Khory has a neat set of clay shaders too that would work for this:

https://www.daz3d.com/artist-studio-poses-and-shader-presets

it only says G2F cause of the poses and faces, the shaders can be applied to anything.The second pop up has some nice french grey through silver grey shaders that should give you the look you want.

• Fragg1960Fragg1960 Posts: 354
    edited December 1969

Thanks a lot guys. Got some playing around to do with the ideas you gave me. Guidance was much appreciated.

• Fragg1960Fragg1960 Posts: 354
    edited April 2015

Went with Khory's clay shaders (because I'm lazy and I'm on Studio 4.7 and can't use IRay). Rendered exactly as I wanted. Thanks again.

Post edited by Fragg1960 on
  • VhardamisVhardamis Posts: 576
    edited December 1969

Fragg1960 said:
    Went with Khory's clay shaders (because I'm lazy and I'm on Studio 4.7 and can't use IRay). Rendered exactly as I wanted. Thanks again.

Don't think of it as lazy think of it as improving your workflow speed and output productivity!

If i can find a short cut on a repetitive task that makes it take less time and give consistent results I call that working smarter not harder (phrase from my gram) :lol:

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Vhardamis, that is a great point that I think a lot of people miss. Kind of cuts to the heart of the issue related to using content made by other artists in one's art vs creating everything from scratch also.