Can not save Workspace Layout

I have installed DAZ on a new PC.  When I open it I have tried to configure it to a customized layout I like, arranging the tabs and view ports where I want them.

I have changed it several times now and it does not save the layout.

Each time I open DAZ it defaults to City Lights Lite.  I cannot find my saved layout.

What do I need to do to fix this issue?

Thanks.

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,051

There's a known issue with custom layout saving in the latest General release. It's been fixed in the latest beta.

There's a workaround in this post: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7336421/#Comment_7336421

• leo04leo04 Posts: 318

Leana said:

There's a known issue with custom layout saving in the latest General release. It's been fixed in the latest beta.

There's a work around in this post: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7336421/#Comment_7336421

Thank you I will try this, Not sure how to make the files tho.

1. If you are on Windows open a file browser (Windows key plus E), then in its address bar type
    2. %AppData%/daz 3d/studio4/
    3. At the top of the Window click View and in the ribbon bar make sure that File Name Extensions is checked
    4. Right-click>New>Text Document and enter the name of one of the needed files, including the .dsx extension instead of txt
    5. Continue to right-click to create and name the rest of the files
  • I've been torturing my brain over this since I got a new computer last week and posted multiple request for a clear way to handle the layout situation and I'm still baffled. I'm in the AppData folder but point 4 and 5 of this list vaguely reference files that I need or the rest of them...

I tried reinslaling and I'm pretty sure that I'm on the latest beta. I just installed it this morning and nothing different there so... what do I have to do after step 3 if I have saved the layout like it tell me to in the manuals and it appears in "user layouts" in Appdata/roaming/daz3d/studio4/userlayouts?

• ok I think I got it sorted out... thanks.

• Richard, when you say one of the needed files, are you talking about the filename you saved the layout as? I created a layout called Really.dsa 

I created a text file called Really.dsx

I can load the Really layout, but nothing happens.

I have never saved a layout before (I assume the custom setting means the current settings on the screen) and it does tell me it successfully saved the file and generates a file.

I didn't see any other files related to the Really layout. Are they in some other folder or are hidden files? I do have the name extensions checked.

I did note that the startup Daz file is a .dse but I don't know if that neccessarily makes a difference?

I really want to just avoid loading the dForce companion seperately everytime I launch Daz. Apparently there is no Beta version of dForce companion so I can't use the Public Build.

Screenshot 2022-03-26 233521.jpg
    694 x 435 - 37K
    Screenshot 2022-03-26 233644.jpg
    724 x 777 - 61K
  • TDBAGZTDBAGZ Posts: 163

OMG FIX THIS

• Hexdrake21 said:

Richard, when you say one of the needed files, are you talking about the filename you saved the layout as? I created a layout called Really.dsa 

I have never saved a layout before (I assume the custom setting means the current settings on the screen) and it does tell me it successfully saved the file and generates a file.

I didn't see any other files related to the Really layout. Are they in some other folder or are hidden files? I do have the name extensions checked.

I did note that the startup Daz file is a .dse but I don't know if that neccessarily makes a difference?

I really want to just avoid loading the dForce companion seperately everytime I launch Daz. Apparently there is no Beta version of dForce companion so I can't use the Public Build.

There are several files for the layout: My workspace resets every time I reopen Daz. - Daz 3D Forums

• TDBAGZ said:

OMG FIX THIS

It seems to be fixed in the current Public Build, once that has been thoroughly tested the General Release should be updated. If you try the Public Build that might help the process along.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,260

Hexdrake21 said:

Richard, when you say one of the needed files, are you talking about the filename you saved the layout as? I created a layout called Really.dsa 

If you installed any plugins before the first Studio beta, you need to just re-install them and they will get installed for both. The only exceptions are those that are tied directly to the Studio version, but those are separate products.

• TsubaTsuba Posts: 78
    edited March 2022

I managed to save my custom layout but now loading it makes the main toolbar disappear. I tried window>workspace>customize and the toobar tab is empty. How can I create a new or add one or anything ?

Edit : I customized a toolbar under a default workspace, then exported it. Now I can import the toolbar in my custom layout, but it still won't show up. I hope they know about this bug too.

Post edited by Tsuba on
  • HyeVltg3HyeVltg3 Posts: 75
    edited March 2022

Leana said:

There's a workaround in this post: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7336421/#Comment_7336421

Thanks for this! 

Finally fixed this issue, I thought for the LONGEST time that 4.20 was just unstable and was crashing at Exit so my layout changes wasn't saving.

For anyone that wants to do this an easy PowerShell method (Windows 10): please close Daz before proceeding

Step-1

• Navigate to the Daz 3D AppData Roaming folder (Windows10- C:\Users\<yourwindowsprofilename>\AppData\Roaming\Daz 3D\Studio4\>Here<
      • AppData may be a hidden folder so to View hidden files and folders you need to: OpenFile Explorer > View tab > tick "Hidden Items" checkbox
      • If your path is not the same ("\Studio4\") - stop here, this may not help you.

​​Step-2

• Follow the below to open Powershell so that it is already pointing to this Studio4 folder ( you will see the following at the top of the Powershell window PS C:\Users\<yourwindowsprofilename>\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4>)

Opening PowerShell via the File Menu

Another handy way to open PowerShell in File Explorer is to use the file menu. Using the file menu, you could use the mouse or keyboard shortcut. Pressing ALT allows you to open the file menu. Within File Explorer:

1. Press and hold the ALT key.
    2. Press the F key. This will open the file menu.
    3. Press the S key. This option will select Open Windows PowerShell and will expand another sub-menu.
    4. Lastly, press the R key. PowerShell will open in the current directory.

How to Open PowerShell in a Folder in Windows Explorer (adamtheautomator.com)

Step-3

• Copy the below in 1 Copy + Paste operation and paste it inside the Powershell window using Right-Click (dont worry about CTRL+V, in PS R.Click pastes your copied selection)

New-item -Path . -Name "customactions.dsx" -ItemType "file"
    New-item -Path . -Name "actions.dsx" -ItemType "file"
    New-item -Path . -Name "layout.dsx" -ItemType "file"
    New-item -Path . -Name "layout.dsa" -ItemType "file"
    New-item -Path . -Name "menus.dsx" -ItemType "file"
    New-item -Path . -Name "toolbars.dsx" -ItemType "file"

• Press Enter
    • You should see all the files appear in the folder and they should all be sized at 0-1KB (Empty)
    • Load Daz > make your layout changes > close Daz > look at the files now, they should be larger than previous.
      • If this did not happen you either opened powershell in the wrong folder or may be missing the Admin priviledges to create files in the C:\ Drive. Go back to Step-2 and instead Press "A" to Open Powershell as Admin ;)

End-

Sorry this is crude but it's 12:30am now and I have work at  5am. Hope this helps someone.

Post edited by HyeVltg3 on
  • magnificent! thank you! This has been an annoyance for the best part of a month!!

• Wow, guys, thanks a lot!!! It worked!!!

You are saviors!

• edited April 2022

Note I ran into the same issue on my Mac, but I was able to adapt the workaround described above for MacOS as follows:

1. Exit DAZ Studio, if running
    2. Open the Terminal application (in the /Applications/Utilities folder)
    3. Enter the following at the % command prompt, replacing "<username>" with your MacOS user id, and hit return:
      cd "/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/Studio4"
    4. Enter the following and hit return:
      touch actionmgr.dsx actions.dsx customactions.dsx menus.dsx toolbars.dsx

Note I was able to confirm the names and locations of the relevant files by looking at the DS log file (Help > Troubleshooting > View Log File...), where I saw a number of error messages like

2022-04-18 15:15:35.528 [ERROR] :: Open File Failed - The file could not be opened: /Users/<user>/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/Studio4/actions.dsx
    2022-04-18 15:15:35.528 [ERROR] :: Open File Failed - The file could not be opened: /Users/<user>/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/Studio4/customactions.dsx
    2022-04-18 15:15:35.528 [ERROR] :: Open File Failed - The file could not be opened: /Users/<user>/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/Studio4/menus.dsx
    2022-04-18 15:15:35.528 [ERROR] :: Open File Failed - The file could not be opened: /Users/<user>/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/Studio4/actionmgr.dsx
    2022-04-18 15:15:35.565 [ERROR] :: Open File Failed - The file could not be opened: /Users/<user>/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/Studio4/toolbars.dsx

If you still have issues with layout customizations not being saved, check the log file in case there are other files that need to be faked like this.

Post edited by adenoyd_a38ca3e8b1 on
  • Having the same issue on my MacBook Pro, but altered the directions slightly from PowerShell to work in Terminal.

REALLY simple:

Type in 'cd <your username>' (minus the single quotes and using your username, obviously) and the bolded text that follows: /LibraryApplication\ Support/DAZ\ 3D/Studio4

(Those forward slashes and spaces are important, so cut and paste if your system will let you.)

Once in that directory, it's much simpler than in PowerShell. Simply cut and paste the following to get zero sized files:

touch customactions.dsx

touch actions.dsx

touch layout.dsx

touch layout.dsa

touch menus.dsx

touch toolbars.dsx

Basically the same process as for PowerShell - just different commands.

• 3D-Ladysmith said:

Having the same issue on my MacBook Pro, but altered the directions slightly from PowerShell to work in Terminal.

REALLY simple:

Type in 'cd <your username>' (minus the single quotes and using your username, obviously) and the bolded text that follows: /LibraryApplication\ Support/DAZ\ 3D/Studio4

(Those forward slashes and spaces are important, so cut and paste if your system will let you.)

Once in that directory, it's much simpler than in PowerShell. Simply cut and paste the following to get zero sized files:

touch customactions.dsx

touch actions.dsx

touch layout.dsx

touch layout.dsa

touch menus.dsx

touch toolbars.dsx

Basically the same process as for PowerShell - just different commands.

The script will work on both Mac and Windows.

• kesiafevielkesiafeviel Posts: 23

Another handy way to open PowerShell in File Explorer is to use the file menu. Using the file menu, you could use the mouse or keyboard shortcut. Pressing ALT allows you to open the file menu. Within File Explorer:

3. Press the S key. This option will select Open Windows PowerShell and will expand another sub-menu.

THANK YOU!!! I needed to alter step 4, not 2,and use Alt - F - S - A to open a PowerShell in Admin mode, but after that IT WORKED... even though the file sizes I see didn't change. Thanks for the help, that was driving me nuts after just a few days!

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,093

kesiafeviel said:

THANK YOU!!! I needed to alter step 4, not 2,and use Alt - F - S - A to open a PowerShell in Admin mode, but after that IT WORKED... even though the file sizes I see didn't change. Thanks for the help, that was driving me nuts after just a few days!

Well, as of last Friday the issue is fixed in the latest Daz Studio (4.20.0.17) so these steps should no longer be needed.

• chezhousechezhouse Posts: 4

I haven't tried the most recent version - but I do thank the helpful community for getting layouts working.

Many thanks!

• MartialMartial Posts: 404

where is the Rob script I don't find it Thanks

• Martial said:

You don't need it as the issue was fixed for 4.20.0.17, the current version.

• Richard Haseltine said:

Martial said:

You don't need it as the issue was fixed for 4.20.0.17, the current version

Is it ? Because I try to get my layout from the current version to the public one (copy past user layout directory) and in the public build, my personnals directories let's say appear, but nothing inside. In the public build log file I get the errors below. If someone has an idea.

2022-10-06 09:08:39.606 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\interface\actions\dzactionmgr.cpp(1872): Index out of range in DzActionMgr::getCustomAction()
    2022-10-06 09:08:39.606 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\interface\actions\dzactionmgr.cpp(1872): Index out of range in DzActionMgr::getCustomAction()

• The issue, and Rob's script fixing it, had nothing to do with content directories or the database. Or do you mean the Scripts menu? Did you copy the Customactions.dsx file across too, and are the content directories set up so that the scripts will be found at the same relative location?

• Hello, yes, I was speaking about the Scripts menu. OK, forgot the customactions.dsx, it's now perfectly working :D Thanks Richard!

• Thanks!!! I'm running 4.21.0.5 and I just needed this.

• HyeVltg3 said:

Leana said:

Thanks for this! 

Finally fixed this issue, I thought for the LONGEST time that 4.20 was just unstable and was crashing at Exit so my layout changes wasn't saving.

For anyone that wants to do this an easy PowerShell method (Windows 10): please close Daz before proceeding

Step-1

• Navigate to the Daz 3D AppData Roaming folder (Windows10- C:\Users\<yourwindowsprofilename>\AppData\Roaming\Daz 3D\Studio4\>Here<
      • AppData may be a hidden folder so to View hidden files and folders you need to: OpenFile Explorer > View tab > tick "Hidden Items" checkbox
      • If your path is not the same ("\Studio4\") - stop here, this may not help you.

​​Step-2

• Follow the below to open Powershell so that it is already pointing to this Studio4 folder ( you will see the following at the top of the Powershell window PS C:\Users\<yourwindowsprofilename>\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4>)

Step-3

• Copy the below in 1 Copy + Paste operation and paste it inside the Powershell window using Right-Click (dont worry about CTRL+V, in PS R.Click pastes your copied selection)

New-item -Path . -Name "customactions.dsx" -ItemType "file"
    New-item -Path . -Name "actions.dsx" -ItemType "file"
    New-item -Path . -Name "layout.dsx" -ItemType "file"
    New-item -Path . -Name "layout.dsa" -ItemType "file"
    New-item -Path . -Name "menus.dsx" -ItemType "file"
    New-item -Path . -Name "toolbars.dsx" -ItemType "file"

• Press Enter
    • You should see all the files appear in the folder and they should all be sized at 0-1KB (Empty)
    • Load Daz > make your layout changes > close Daz > look at the files now, they should be larger than previous.
      • If this did not happen you either opened powershell in the wrong folder or may be missing the Admin priviledges to create files in the C:\ Drive. Go back to Step-2 and instead Press "A" to Open Powershell as Admin ;)

End-

Sorry this is crude but it's 12:30am now and I have work at  5am. Hope this helps someone.

Thank you this method solved my problem!