Daz doesn't save any .dsx files into the appdata folder, meaning any layout settings aren't saved!

Hi guys, first time poster here coming in hard with a technical issue. I'm at my wits end with this one.

I recently reinstalled Windows 10 as I acquired new SSDs and have been trying to get DAZ Studio installed and ready to go again. I've done this process multiple times without issues in the past, but now I've ran into a problem.

Whenever I exit DAZ(4.20), the program doesn't save any layout changes I've made. The appdata folder where all the new .dsx files are supposed to go simply doesn't have any. The only thing there is the encrypted layout.dse file and the rest of the default files and folders that come with a new install. I checked the log file and it shows errors creating the layout file:

2022-02-24 22:04:46.502 [ERROR] :: Open File Failed - The file could not be opened: C:/Users/janne/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/layout.dsx
2022-02-24 22:04:47.730 [INFO] :: Saving session layout...
2022-02-24 22:04:47.740 [ERROR] :: Rename File Failed: C:/Users/janne/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/layout.dsx > C:/Users/janne/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/layout.dsx.bak
2022-02-24 22:04:48.737 [INFO] :: Saving session layout...
2022-02-24 22:04:48.747 [ERROR] :: Rename File Failed: C:/Users/janne/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/layout.dsx > C:/Users/janne/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/layout.dsx.bak
2022-02-24 22:04:58.899 [INFO] :: Saving session layout...
2022-02-24 22:04:58.909 [ERROR] :: Rename File Failed: C:/Users/janne/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/layout.dsx > C:/Users/janne/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/layout.dsx.bak

When starting the program it also doesn't find some files:

2022-02-24 22:04:46.343 [ERROR] :: Open File Failed - The file could not be opened: C:/Users/janne/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/actions.dsx
2022-02-24 22:04:46.345 [ERROR] :: Open File Failed - The file could not be opened: C:/Users/janne/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/customactions.dsx
2022-02-24 22:04:46.345 [ERROR] :: Open File Failed - The file could not be opened: C:/Users/janne/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/menus.dsx
2022-02-24 22:04:46.345 [ERROR] :: Open File Failed - The file could not be opened: C:/Users/janne/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/actionmgr.dsx
2022-02-24 22:04:46.345 [ERROR] :: Open File Failed - The file could not be opened: E:/DAZ 3D/Applications/64-bit/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4/resources/actionmgr.dsx
2022-02-24 22:04:46.347 [ERROR] :: Open File Failed - The file could not be opened: E:/DAZ 3D/Applications/64-bit/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4/resources/dazstudio.mnu
2022-02-24 22:04:46.364 [ERROR] :: Open File Failed - The file could not be opened: C:/Users/janne/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/toolbars.dsx

Things I've tried so far: 

• Checking folder permissions in appdata and the install path of the applications(DIM and DAZ), none of them are set to read only
  • Allowing DAZ through my antivirus program
  • Reinstalling everything, making sure I deleted everything from appdata as well before doing so
  • Deleting the layout.dse file in the appdata folder
  • Deleting the entire Studio4 appdata folder
  • Saving an empty scene just in case it's somehow related to scene saving

I tried looking at the forums where others have had the same issue or a similar issue, something in the UI not saving properly, but all of them had solutions that didn't work for me or were not applicable. Something is preveting my DAZ Studio from saving the new .dsx files upon exit, but I can't figure out what it could be besides folder permissions set to read only. I never encountered this issue before, but the only difference now to my previous systems is that I have one extra hard drive and DAZ is installed on an NVMe SSD instead of a normal SSD. I don't think that should have any effect on DAZ's capability to write into the appdata folder though.

I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions with this!

Comments

• This is a known issue, as indicated by the other posts i respect to this issue. The change log shows it has a fix internally, they hope to have that generally available in the near future.

• ClashClash Posts: 1

Oh, thanks for the info! It's really good to know that at least it's not an issue on my end alone.

• There is a Public Build (beta) update which has the fix.

• functionfunction Posts: 269

I thought the problem is because 'C:/', maybe your WIN10 anti-virus function prohibits writing to disk C. I had experienced the same problem, change to disk E solved.

• The path proposed by DAZ Studio when exporting actions.dsx or layout.dsx is wrong.

On my installation "C:\Users\___my_user_name___\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\user layouts" is proposed.
    Here DAZ Studio cannot create or modify the files. Instead you need to move up one level to "C:\Users\___my_user_name___\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4"

Save your actions as "C:\Users\___my_user_name___\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\actions.dsx" and layout to "C:\Users\___my_user_name___\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\layouts.dsx"

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863
    edited March 2022

guido.ising said:

The path proposed by DAZ Studio when exporting actions.dsx or layout.dsx is wrong.

On my installation "C:\Users\___my_user_name___\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\user layouts" is proposed.
    Here DAZ Studio cannot create or modify the files. Instead you need to move up one level to "C:\Users\___my_user_name___\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4"

Save your actions as "C:\Users\___my_user_name___\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\actions.dsx" and layout to "C:\Users\___my_user_name___\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\layouts.dsx"

The files in the Studio4 folder are the session layout, the state of the UI saved when Daz Studio exits. The files in the User layouts folder are the saved layouts, for selection through Window>Workspace>Select layout.

The save works if there is already an existing file for the layout to overwrite, it fails in 4.20.0.2 if there is no existing file of the same name. If you manually create proerply named, empty files then it will be possible to save the layout over them, pending the updated version of Daz Studio which has been tweaked to cope with situations where there are no pre-existing files.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • WojtkoWojtko Posts: 80
    edited May 2022

Hello, 

Richard Haseltine said:

guido.ising said:

The path proposed by DAZ Studio when exporting actions.dsx or layout.dsx is wrong.

The files in the Studio4 folder are the session layout, the state of the UI saved when Daz Studio exits. The files in the User layouts folder are the saved layouts, for selection through Window>Workspace>Select layout.

The save works if there is already an existing file for the layout to overwrite, it fails in 4.20.0.2 if there is no existing file of the same name. If you manually create proerply named, empty files then it will be possible to save the layout over them, pending the updated version of Daz Studio which has been tweaked to cope with situations where there are no pre-existing files.

I upgraded my DAZ software this morning and I'm having the same problem.

I did move the file one "floor up". Instead you need to move up one level to "C:\Users\___my_user_name___\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4"
    it does not work.
    On the other hand, how do you make an "action" file. I don't see where I can save like this:Save your actions as "C:\Users\___my_user_name___\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\actions.dsx"

Richard,

How do you make an empty file?

If you manually create proerply named, empty files 

I have a file with the same name, I save it but it doesn't work either...
    When I call my layout, it does not appear in the list...

Should I put it in the top folder too?

What manipulation should I do finally?

Thanks

Patrick

Post edited by Wojtko on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863

The issue should be fixed in the current General release, 4.20.0.17 - is that what you have?

• WojtkoWojtko Posts: 80

That's it I have it now :)
    Thank you, it actually works!