How I stop reality 2 crashing?

ToobisToobis Posts: 932
edited December 1969 in The Commons

When I load like 6 or so figures and a scene in Daz studio then render it with reality 2 I find it crashes after a few minutes of trying to do it. The screen just stays grey in Lux Render then the program exits.

Is there a way I can somehow get it to work? I am guessing there is just simply to much for it to read in a scene with more than 5 or so figures with too much scene details too. Is there a way I can minimize certain quality options so it works?

Did you have this problem? how did you get around it? thx.

Comments

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,310
    edited December 1969

Used to happen to me when I only had 3 gigs of ram to render. So even without specifics, you probably need more RAM memory. 5 figures, plus outfits, plus environments, all those texture, you are simply running out of memory space. One thing you can do, render the scene in parts, then assemble a composite in a photoshop type program.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Do you actully get in to LuxRender or are you still in DS3 or DS4 looking at the Reality window?

Are you using DS3 or DS4?

32bit or 64bit?

What version of Reality?

What version of LuxRender?

What Operating System?

Is the OS 32bit or 64bit?

Thank you

• ToobisToobis Posts: 932
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    Do you actully get in to LuxRender or are you still in DS3 or DS4 looking at the Reality window?

Are you using DS3 or DS4?

32bit or 64bit?

What version of Reality?

What version of LuxRender?

What Operating System?

Is the OS 32bit or 64bit?

Thank you

DS3

32bit

Latest LuxRender

Windows Vista

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited August 2012

The 32-bit OS limits the LuxRender process to 2GB. As already mentioned, you are likely running out of memory. Even with just one figure and minimal background, Lux usually floats around 2.5GB minimum memory usage when I render at 2560x1440. And it's not uncommon for Lux to require 6-8GB of RAM for more complex scenes.

Things you can try doing: Check the 'memory conservative' option in the Options tab (which enables QBVH, which is better/faster than the kdtree default AND uses less memory). Reduce the resolution you are rendering at. Reduce or turn off outlier rejection (the "FF" option on the Options tab that defaults to 5 -- I forget exactly what Reality's "friendly" name is for this). Enable 'collect textures' and have it reduce the textures to say 25% of original size. But when you say 5 or 6 figures in a scene, I think you're really just gonna be out of memory no matter what. If some of the figures are more in the background, you could try using one of the lower Level of Detail versions of the Gen4 figures to reduce their poly count (I use DS4, so not sure where the load LOD option is in DS3). (Or if using Genesis, disable subdivision for the figure in Studio to reduce the poly count exported to Reality.) Also, anything not visible, hide it in the Scene view in Studio. For example, if a figure has long boots on, hide their foot, toes, and even the shin if the boots/pants cover it. This will also reduce the amount of geometry exported to Reality.

With the exception of changing the outlier rejection setting, all of those options will also reduce the quality of the render. Reducing outlier rejection won't change the quality per-se; it will just require many more samples/pixel to achieve the same results as a render done with the default outlier rejection. (Edit to add that hiding invisible bones will also not impact render quality, and should really always be done as it will speed up LuxRender as it has less geometry to consider when determining ray intersections.)

But the real solution is to upgrade to a 64-bit machine with a minimum of 8GB RAM (12GB would be much better). But I realize that's not always an option.

Post edited by cwichura on
  • ToobisToobis Posts: 932
    edited December 1969

I understand it better now thanks.