DAZ 4.20 Missing Files

I just recently installed DAZ 4.20 yesterday, and got a pop-up on a SASE model that it was missing textures/SASE/Suzie/SASESuzieEyesB_1007.jpg

I tried several different SASE models, and noticed they all complained of the same thing.  Other models seem to work just fine, and even though the message comes up that it can't find that file, the model does load properly with the proper eye textures, and there doesn't appear to be any apparent differences.

Since most of my SASE models come from Renderosity, I keep them in a separate library, under F:\Daz 3D\Libraries\My Library.  I checked under My Library\Runtime\textures\SASE\[model] and the corresponding eye textures were there.  I even tried copying the entire My Library\data and My Library\Runtime directories to the default My Daz 3D Library directory, and still the same thing.

I only checked a few of my models, and so far, it only seems to be limited to SASE models.  I did also mention this to Sabby, and they're going to look into it.  If I find a fix, I will update.  Otherwise, if anyone else has noticed a similar issue and fixed it, any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• Having same issue here.  Verified path in json to that in file system.

• Is yours with SASE models too, or another vendor?

• SabbySabby Posts: 108

I am still looking into this and have not been able to determine why this is happening, the file path is correct, the texture files are there, it loads correctly... but keeps throwing this error. I have written to Daz3D Support.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,472

Sabby said:

I am still looking into this and have not been able to determine why this is happening, the file path is correct, the texture files are there, it loads correctly... but keeps throwing this error. I have written to Daz3D Support.

How do you know the paths are correct?
    DS only tells you the path from the base folder of a content library, and that could be any content library you have.

1. How do you install your content?
    2. Do you log in to DS or have you chosen to "Automatically Login With Remembered Credentials" in DS Preferences\Startup?
    3. What are your Content library folders?

StartUp.JPG
    522 x 244 - 21K
    PathToContDirMan.JPG
    564 x 532 - 60K
    ContentDirMan.JPG
    384 x 240 - 19K
  • NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,250

Bitmaps are often referenced more than once for a figure or material preset. My experience with this sort of error is often that one or more references to the file is incorrect. Edit a file that contains the bitmap in question and search for all occurences in the current file. Something like notepad++ can display the results in a sub-frame so that they can be examined all together to see if there are any anomalies. (It can also search for a string in multiple files in a folder). Studio can be forgiving sometimes if it finds at least one valid reference and re-uses it as a best-guess attempt to fill in the blanks (or something like that).

I've actually located the issue and I am going to be issuing an update to the products that are affected. It was a syntax error in my json, which for some reason worked fine until the update of the newest Daz|Studio, so it was never caught in testing at Renderosity or daz3D.com, despite being in nearly every single product. 

I do however have many products and so it will take some time to update them all. I am very sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you!

• Sabby said:

I've actually located the issue and I am going to be issuing an update to the products that are affected. It was a syntax error in my json, which for some reason worked fine until the update of the newest Daz|Studio, so it was never caught in testing at Renderosity or daz3D.com, despite being in nearly every single product. 

I do however have many products and so it will take some time to update them all. I am very sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you!

Well, first of all glad to hear that you have found the issue, and that you will work on it. Really appreciated, and keep up the great work on your models!

• Yay!  Thanks Sabby! 

• GeffeGeffe Posts: 63

bvgiroux_fbbb1654d3 said:

Is yours with SASE models too, or another vendor?

I've encountered this exact problem (missing eye bump map textures) with some of Emrys' characters (Seb, Charlie and Sasha).

ss01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 320K
  • Geffe said:

I've encountered this exact problem (missing eye bump map textures) with some of Emrys' characters (Seb, Charlie and Sasha).

Very likely the same issue as with SASE.  The problem is the DUF file has //Runtime in it and should just be /Runtime.  Could have been a tool the asset creators used that broke the JSON, and up until version 4.20, it didn't seem to be an issue.

At this point, it might be easier for Daz to patch it to allow the //Runtime then have all sorts of people screaming at the vendors...and perhaps the vendors should scream at whoever created that eye texture. :D

• bvgiroux_fbbb1654d3 said:

Geffe said:

Very likely the same issue as with SASE.  The problem is the DUF file has //Runtime in it and should just be /Runtime.  Could have been a tool the asset creators used that broke the JSON, and up until version 4.20, it didn't seem to be an issue.

At this point, it might be easier for Daz to patch it to allow the //Runtime then have all sorts of people screaming at the vendors...and perhaps the vendors should scream at whoever created that eye texture. :D

Leaving bad foormatting in place is just going to make the situation worse if it causes a different issue down the line.

• Richard Haseltine said:

Geffe said:

Leaving bad foormatting in place is just going to make the situation worse if it causes a different issue down the line.

Fair enough.  Also, best course of action is just to be patient with the content creators.  Give them the heads up, and let them focus on fixing their back catalogue as well as continue to making new stuff for us to enjoy.

With Sabby's help, I was able to fix my issue.  Should fix the issue with Emry's product as well.  They should also be contacting their vendor who made the asset to get it fixed as well to prevent this from happening again in the future.  Looks like Emry and Sabby both used the same eye texture for the retina details

• bdpeasebdpease Posts: 31

Funny, I noticed the path issue in the json, but hesitated updating it.  I just went through one of the SASE characters, updated the json to correct the paths, and it works fine.

• I have 32 SASE Characters from both DAZ and Renderosity. Resolving this is either going to turn into a lot of work correcting the JSON problems per file, or a lot of time downloading and updating all the files.

I can follow a recipe assuming that it is clear, lists all the ingredients required and includes detailed mixing and cooking instructions. I am willing to dive into updating the JSONs to the correct path, but need a little more help.

I have downloaded Notepad++, what next?

And having said this, I want to be clear, (sticking to my recipe analogy) please do not assume I already know how to prepare "Canard a l'Orange" just like Julia Child. One of the biggest problems I have trying to learn DAZ Studio is the assumption within guides and tutorials that I already know how to do something.

Optional Reading: I served aboard United States Navy Submarines for twenty two years of my early adult life so I can say this with all honesty; Some operational manuals are written in blood. I will go on to say that if DAZ Studio needed to rely on their documentation to keep water out of the people tank, their boat would have sunk years ago. Based off of my operational experience, DAZ Studio needs to hold a safety standown, stop all programming efforts and focus on properly documentating everything. By properly documenting, I mean a top down, menu by menu explination of every function. End Rant.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    edited March 2022
    • These instructions will work for content installed with DIM, but not Daz Connect.
    • These instructions will work for content files that are not compressed.
    • Use at your own risk and follow directions carefully. Make a backup of the folder first if you are unsure of what you are doing.
    1. Open Notepad++
    2. Select Search>Find in Files...
    3. In the window that opens enter these values:
      • Find what: //runtime
      • Replace with: /runtime
      • Filters: *.duf
      • Directory: [the hard drive location of your Daz Studio content library]\People\Genesis 8 Female\Characters
    4. Click the Replace in Files button
    5. In the Are You Sure window, verify that the path is correct and click OK.
    6. Wait for it to finish. It takes a minute or less for me. You might have more characters.
    7. Do the same for Genesis 8 Male Characters if you are having problems with them.
    Search - Find in Files.jpg
    463 x 168 - 24K
    Search and replace.jpg
    723 x 357 - 156K
    Are you sure.jpg
    404 x 206 - 19K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • Thank You Barbult! I ran the Notepad++ command as described in the correct folder and now all of my characters are functioning properly! This took a couple of minutes to run and replaced 608 occurrences!

Thank you very much for the clear instructions!

2022-03-04_9-21-10.png
    579 x 359 - 24K

Chummy1962 said:

Thank You Barbult! I ran the Notepad++ command as described in the correct folder and now all of my characters are functioning properly! This took a couple of minutes to run and replaced 608 occurrences!

Thank you very much for the clear instructions!

yes I'm so happy to hear that it worked for you!

• bdpeasebdpease Posts: 31
    edited March 2022

The annoying thing is any saved scene files will have the old references, and they are compressed.  

Post edited by bdpease on

bdpease said:

The annoying thing is any saved scene files will have the old references, and they are compressed.  

Editing the content files with Notepad++ does not create new files; it just edits the existing ones. I would think that references in saved scenes would work fine. If not, you can uncompress a Daz scene file with a utility like WinZip or 7Zip.

• barbult said:

bdpease said:

Editing the content files with Notepad++ does not create new files; it just edits the existing ones. I would think that references in saved scenes would work fine. If not, you can uncompress a Daz scene file with a utility like WinZip or 7Zip.

or use the Batch Convert pane, which does support drag-and-drop (something I hadn't realised).

barbult said:

• These instructions will work for content installed with DIM, but not Daz Connect.
    • Use at your own risk and follow directions carefully. Make a backup of the folder first if you are unsure of what you are doing.
    1. Open Notepad++
      • Directory: [the hard drive location of your Daz Studio content library]\People\Genesis 8 Female\Characters
    6. Wait for it to finish. It takes a minute or less for me. You might have more characters.
    7. Do the same for Genesis 8 Male Characters if you are having problems with them.

I am working on fixing my entire back catalog, however it is a slow going process because I am having to upload only 15-20 products a day, as well as I am in the middle of moving. I do appreciate this message here ton the DIYers out there fixing it, but rest assured they will get fixed, it is just taking me time. Right now all JASA products and the last 20 SASE ones at Renderosity are corrected and there should be 20 more today or tomorrow uploaded and corrected for SASE products. 

• I have the SASE Nevaeh and I'm having the same issue since last night. I thought Windows 10 crashed as usualy and re-formatted / re-installed everything yet right now still getting the same error even though everything is installed properly. 

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,066

barbult said:

1. Open Notepad++

I'm on Mac. Haven't been able to figure out an equivalent process. Installed Rendo figures with Content Wizard. Wondering if reainstalling would work or would be just a wast of time.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,250

The  double // is a syntax error in the file. No amount of re-installing or reformatting is going to make a iota of a difference. The files must be corrected.

• rrwardrrward Posts: 556

lou_harper said:

barbult said:

1. Open Notepad++

I'm on Mac. Haven't been able to figure out an equivalent process. Installed Rendo figures with Content Wizard. Wondering if reainstalling would work or would be just a wast of time.

With MacOS being a Unic variant, you should be able to use grep to do this. I have no idea what the actual command string would look like, sorry. 

• Causam3DCausam3D Posts: 193
    edited April 2022

With MacOS being a Unic variant, you should be able to use grep to do this. I have no idea what the actual command string would look like, sorry. 

My *ix is a little rusty, so I had to look it up:

grep -rl matchstring somedir/ | xargs sed -i 's/string1/string2/g'

grep will find it all right but you'd have to pipe it through sed or awk.  Remember to escape the slashes with a backslash:
    's/\/\/runtime/\/runtime/g'
    Yes that looks confusing.  In *ix (Mac in this case) the command shell is a scripting interface itself, and a slash -- / -- has specific meaning to the shell.  Therefore if you are looking for a slash, it has to be "escaped" for that one instance by a backslash -- \ -- so that it will not be interpreted by the shell as part of a command.  Thus if you're looking for a string containing two consecutive slashes -- // -- you'll have to escape each one of them in turn by a backslash so that the shell will treat the slash as part of a string instead of part of a command.

Richard, how tough would it be for Daz to have someone put together a CASE statement that can handle all instances?  

Post edited by Causam3D on
  • davidltsldavidltsl Posts: 14

I've been having tha same problems with some Emrys figures Jennider and Sheridan, ran Notepad++ as stated above and it fixed 28 instances. Thank you for posting such a clear answer.

• Having Problems How can I Fix This

/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Male/Morphs/Deepsea/Product/Egyptian Warrior.dsf

/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Male/Morphs/Deepsea/Product/Hittite Warrior.dsf

/data/Deepsea/Product/Egyptian Warrior Suit/Egyptian Warrior Suit_3622.dsf

/data/Deepsea/Product/Egyptian Warrior Suit/Morphs/Deepsea/Base/Fix.dsf

/data/Deepsea/Product/Hittite Warrior Suit/Egyptian Warrior Suit 1_1164.dsf

/data/Deepsea/Product/Hittite Warrior Suit/Morphs/Deepsea/Base/Fix.dsf

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/0WarriorArms_N.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/0WarriorFace_N.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/0WarriorLegs_N.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/0WarriorTorso_N.JPG

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/1WarriorFaceLR_G.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/2.WarrioArmsLR_G.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/3WarrioLegsLR_G.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/4WarriorTorsoLR_G.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/Egyptian Warrior Suit_BaseColor.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/Egyptian Warrior Suit_Diffuse.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/Egyptian Warrior Suit_Glossiness.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/Egyptian Warrior Suit_Height.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/Egyptian Warrior Suit_Metallic.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/Egyptian Warrior Suit_Normal.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/Egyptian Warrior Suit_Roughness.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/EgyptianWarriorArms.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/EgyptianWarriorArms_B.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/EgyptianWarriorArms_T.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/EgyptianWarriorFace.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/EgyptianWarriorFace_B.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/EgyptianWarriorFace_T.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/EgyptianWarriorLegs.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/EgyptianWarriorLegs_B.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/EgyptianWarriorLegs_T.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/EgyptianWarriorLegsBrief.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/EgyptianWarriorLegsBrief_B.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/EgyptianWarriorLegsBrief_T.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/EgyptianWarriorTorsoBrief.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/EgyptianWarriorTorsoBrief_B.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/EgyptianWarriorTorsoBrief_T.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/Eyes Black.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/Eyes Brown.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/Eyes_G.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/Eyes_R.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/HittiteArms.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/HittiteArms_B.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/HittiteArms_T.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/HittitefaceBeard.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/HittitefaceBeard_B.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/HittitefaceBeard_T.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/HittiteLegs.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/HittiteLegs_B.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/HittiteLegs_T.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/HittiteTorsoBrief.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/HittiteTorsoBrief_B.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/HittiteTorsoBrief_T.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/Warrior Suit 1_BaseColor.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/Warrior Suit 1_Diffuse.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/Warrior Suit 1_Glossiness.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/Warrior Suit 1_Height.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/Warrior Suit 1_Normal.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/Warrior Suit 1_Roughness.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/WarriorEyesBrown.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/WarriorInnerMouth_B.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/WarriorInnerMouthLR.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/WarriotEyes_G.jpg

/Runtime/Textures/Deepsea/Deepsea Adam Realtime/WarriotEyes_R.jpg

• Do you own and have you installed https://www.daz3d.com/pharaoh-at-war-characters-and-outfit-for-genesis-8-male ? How did you install if so?

• Thank you so much for this fix. That was driving me nuts!!