Ghost Lights - What's happening, and what's next.

Comments

• charlescharles Posts: 775

Escribano said:

alainmerigot said:

Independently of the break of ghostlights, the fact that the luminance is multiplied by the opacity is a great improvement. It can lead to new interesting effects, for instance if the opacity is defined by a map and is combined with a luminance defined by an image. IMHO the nvidia motivation was more to open new possibilities by introducing this feature than to have a strict conformance to physic.

And honestly the ghostlight behavior is easy to fix (but, yeah, it is tedious).

The luminance multiplication issue also effects most fire and magical FX props that employ the cutout opacity field, and those are not so easy to fix. Simply increasing the luminance value causes the visible portions of the prop to wash out and lose all detail. I have had some success with using refraction to achieve transparency for fire props that have geometry, but that does not work with the ones that use multiple flat planes and cutouts to simulate the shape of flames.

It is an issue, a LOT of FX products are now really broken. 

• smoke14smoke14 Posts: 246

@KindredArts...looks like the discount has disappeared for owners of the other sets. I own all the previous ghost light kits. Yesterday it was $2.00 in my cart...that is not the case now. I went to check out, the new set in my cart it is showing $13.97.

Was the discount for previous buyers only for 1 day?

If so, then it is a lost sale from me. Also did not receive any orange banner.

• +1

smoke14 said:

@KindredArts...looks like the discount has disappeared for owners of the other sets. I own all the previous ghost light kits. Yesterday it was $2.00 in my cart...that is not the case now. I went to check out, the new set in my cart it is showing $13.97.

Was the discount for previous buyers only for 1 day?

If so, then it is a lost sale from me. Also did not receive any orange banner.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,309

charles said:

Escribano said:

alainmerigot said:

Independently of the break of ghostlights, the fact that the luminance is multiplied by the opacity is a great improvement. It can lead to new interesting effects, for instance if the opacity is defined by a map and is combined with a luminance defined by an image. IMHO the nvidia motivation was more to open new possibilities by introducing this feature than to have a strict conformance to physic.

And honestly the ghostlight behavior is easy to fix (but, yeah, it is tedious).

The luminance multiplication issue also effects most fire and magical FX props that employ the cutout opacity field, and those are not so easy to fix. Simply increasing the luminance value causes the visible portions of the prop to wash out and lose all detail. I have had some success with using refraction to achieve transparency for fire props that have geometry, but that does not work with the ones that use multiple flat planes and cutouts to simulate the shape of flames.

It is an issue, a LOT of FX products are now really broken. 

I found that a lot of FX props tended to wash out giving them the needed luminance even before 4.20. This was especially true for things like flames in fires and torches. What I do is surround the flame with a circular ghost light and gave this the same temperature as the flames. This could then be boosted to whatever was required to give off the needed light without washing out the flames. Now that we have the new version of ghost lights, this should still be a possible workaround in 4.20.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085

I am confused.  I have one previous ghostlight kit.  Does that qualify me for the discount?  I don't have an orange banner.  The new kit is showing up in my cart at $13.97.  Is that correct or incorrect?  Here is the previous product that I own.

ghost lights KA daz pricing maybe incorrect.jpg
    1287 x 1003 - 217K
  • Diomede said:

I am confused.  I have one previous ghostlight kit.  Does that qualify me for the discount?  I don't have an orange banner.  The new kit is showing up in my cart at $13.97.  Is that correct or incorrect?  Here is the previous product that I own.

The discount on the new set one is for owners of the old set one, and the intent is apprently for the same to apply to the other sets. However, it does look as if the discount may have ended - we will send a query in on that.

• KindredArtsKindredArts Posts: 1,236
    edited March 2022

Is no-one getting the discount any more? That's not what i intended. I asked marketing to put it on sale at 90% but i didn't think it would expire. I'll query this and see if they can put it on a permanent discount.

Post edited by KindredArts on
  • JamieMJamieM Posts: 353

KindredArts said:

Is no-one getting the discount any more? That's not what i intended. I asked marketing to put it on sale at 90% but i didn't think it would expire. I'll query this and see if they can put it on a permanent discount.

Thank you - I really want to buy and use this - but it's coming up at full price - 30% intro discount.  (I own kit 3)

• Thank you very much.

KindredArts said:

• For me too - 30%. I own kit 1,2 and 3...

@KindredArts thank you for checking into this. 

• HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,884
    edited March 2022

Add me to the list of people not getting the discount. Couldn't come on the site yesterday so I'm glad I read this thread before resigning myself to buying it at 37% off. Hope KindredArts can get this sorted for those of us who didn't get the banner.

In the cart awaiting developments.

Also, thanks for the big discount on the new set, not everyone would have done that, so bravo.

Post edited by Haruchai on
  • NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,262

Maybe they were trying to correct the banner problem. Many users (myself included) got the banner AFTER buying the new kit (with the correct discount). 

• Only the usual 30% discount for me too...

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited March 2022

Sorry I missed out on the $2. I don't have any store credit left, and Daz have been very miserly with the deals on offer for Gift Cards.

Perhaps I'll get it eventually.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • azcraigrrazcraigrr Posts: 70

I just picked it up and got the discount once it was in my cart. Thank you @KindredArts!

• anyone else having issues with the orb like lights? All the others work fine but when I use an it doesnt shade right, almost looks like a tie die look.

• Thank you, got it  @KindredArts

• Tammuz43Tammuz43 Posts: 19

inquire said:

KindredArts said:

Hey gang, i hope everyone is happy with the new set. I know i can't please everyone all the time but i think this was the best way to do it given all the moving parts. Just to clear things up, if you had the orginal iray ghost light kit you should be given a 90% discount for iray ghost light kit one that released today. You will also recieve a discount for follow up replacement products, so if you own iray ghost light kit 2, you will recieve a discount for the upcoming replacement et

@KindredArts: Will this new set work on version 4.16.03. of DAZ Studio, or is it intended only for vesion 4.20 and up?

It doesn't work "out of the box", but you only have to reduce Luminance and Luminous Efficacity and it works perfectly.

ghost3.jpg
    234 x 119 - 40K
    ghost1.jpg
    800 x 1082 - 358K
  • The discount for owners of the original Ghost Lights set 1 should be working again now.

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,099

Tammuz43 said:

inquire said:

KindredArts said:

Hey gang, i hope everyone is happy with the new set. I know i can't please everyone all the time but i think this was the best way to do it given all the moving parts. Just to clear things up, if you had the orginal iray ghost light kit you should be given a 90% discount for iray ghost light kit one that released today. You will also recieve a discount for follow up replacement products, so if you own iray ghost light kit 2, you will recieve a discount for the upcoming replacement et

@KindredArts: Will this new set work on version 4.16.03. of DAZ Studio, or is it intended only for vesion 4.20 and up?

It doesn't work "out of the box", but you only have to reduce Luminance and Luminous Efficacity and it works perfectly.

Is that it? I'll be able to use the new set if I just reduce Luminance and Luminous Efficacity to these 2 values? (I am running DS v. 4.16.0.3). I do  have Kit 1 of the original version, which I use daily. But this new Kit seems better than the old. KindredArts, however, above, said it would not work. So, have you discovered that it does work? Just checking, because I don't want to buy something that I can't use.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085
    edited March 2022

Now, the new version of the ghostlights showed up in my cart at the reduced price.  

Thank you, @KindredArts, and thank you @Richard_Haseltine for listening and following up.  Much appreciated.

Thank you, thank you.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • Tammuz43Tammuz43 Posts: 19

inquire said:

Tammuz43 said:

inquire said:

KindredArts said:

Is that it? I'll be able to use the new set if I just reduce Luminance and Luminous Efficacity to these 2 values? (I am running DS v. 4.16.0.3). I do  have Kit 1 of the original version, which I use daily. But this new Kit seems better than the old. KindredArts, however, above, said it would not work. So, have you discovered that it does work? Just checking, because I don't want to buy something that I can't use.

Yes, you only have to change these two parameters until you find the good setting.

Here is another exemple :

scene1.jpg
    800 x 1950 - 653K
  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,348
    edited March 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

The discount for owners of the original Ghost Lights set 1 should be working again now.

Not for me. It's not a problem for me because I bought the new set yesterday at the discounted price; but I'm pointing it out because there may be some others who own the original ghost lights and still are not getting the discount 

Post edited by Charlie Judge on

Richard Haseltine said:

The discount for owners of the original Ghost Lights set 1 should be working again now.

Yes indeed, thanks 

Worked for me now. Thanks.

• rwetmorerwetmore Posts: 20

Me three. I own Iray Ghost Light Kit 3 and I'm not seeing any discount except for the typical Daz+ 30%.

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,963

Charlie Judge said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Not for me. It's not a problem for me because I bought the new set yesterday at the discounted price; but I'm pointing it out because there may be some others who own the original ghost lights and still are not getting the discount 

Not sure if this is what's happening here, but sometimes discounts can only be applied once, so trying to "rebuy" an item won't show extra discounts. It's worth people double checking, but I'm seeing the discounted price in my cart.

edited March 2022

rwetmore said:

Me three. I own Iray Ghost Light Kit 3 and I'm not seeing any discount except for the typical Daz+ 30%.

From what I understand all 3 Ghost Light Kit sets are being updated so you will only get the discount for the related set you own. You will no doubt get the discount on set 3 when the new version 3 is released but if you don't own 1 or 2 you won't get discounts as they are for owners of the original version of each set. 

From the KindredArts post - 

Just to clear things up, if you had the orginal iray ghost light kit you should be given a 90% discount for iray ghost light kit one that released today. You will also recieve a discount for follow up replacement products, so if you own iray ghost light kit 2, you will recieve a discount for the upcoming replacement etc

Post edited by Haruchai on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449

@KindredArts : Thank you for such good customer support. I used to have Ghost Lights in almost all of my scenes but only occasionally use them these days because I find they slow my render times significantly but it is good to know I have them as an option if and when I do update to 4.20. The $2 price for owners of the original is very generous and it is good to see that many are showing their appreciation.