Modeling: Replicate Mesh in Even Intervals Along a Path?

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,078
edited February 2022 in Carrara Discussion

Thought I was putting together a quick train tracks and it turned into a modeling question.  In the vertex modeler, is it possible to take a submesh and duplicate it along a path?  Although I am trying to do it on a curving train tracks, the same issue could arise for a necklace or charm bracelet and many other situations.  I know for my present project I could just duplicate the planks along a straight path, rig the straight path and then use the posing tools to create my curved train tracks, but I am curious about the potential modeling feature.  Could the feature be in one of the DCG plugins?  Am I confusing Carrara with Hexagon or another modeler?  Can duplicating at regular intervals along a curving path be done in Carrara?

In the screenshots, I have the two side rails in one picture, and I present the middle of the path in the other.  I'd like to duplicate the rectangular plank along the central path at regular intervals so that it curves with the outer rails.  I have extracted the central curve from the middle rail.

replicate along path.jpg
1639 x 908 - 138K
replicate along path 2.jpg
1471 x 799 - 189K
Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• what you would use in Unreal Engine to do that is a spline,

I think Hexagon does that too.

Carrara while it has a spline modeller, it is a separate room

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,801

only way I can think of is in the assembly room and using Sparrowhawkes duplicate on surprise

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,078

Thanks for the suggestions.  Maybe I had seen it in Hexagon or I used Sparrowhawke's plugin and then exported/imported to get a single mesh.  I did not re-install all the plugins after my last fresh install of Carrara.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,814
    edited February 2022

I can think of one rather obtuse way to do it.

if you create an animation path you could export a series of objects evenly along the timeline with morphs and skinning checked

I would suggest Fenric's obj series exporter if using C7 but it just errors for me in C8.1 and C8.5

Sparrowhawk has a plugin for creating an animation path following a part of an object too

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

Hi one of the plugins made available to us has a feature for making chains from links . Could be what you need? NOt on my machine at the moment but i stumbled on it t’other day. Will have a look later.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

sparrowhawkes duplicate on plugin works a charm for this - couldn't get Replica to do it unfortunately - lack of practice on my part

car file attached as a zip.

I changed the hotpoint of the sleeper (vertex object 1) so they would align ion the right place with the rail (vertex object)

DUPLICATEON.jpg
    1364 x 1077 - 266K
    zip
    zip
    duplicateoncarfilechangesuffixtoCar.zip