February 2022 - DAZ 3D New User Challenge - Lighting and Light Effects

2»

Comments

• FettbemmeFettbemme Posts: 117
    edited February 2022

Version 2 - Kontakt Ruschestraße (Berlin HVA)

with Old Factory Interior https://www.daz3d.com/old-factory-interior Daz Studio 

Kontakt_Ruschestr_2.JPEG
    2000 x 844 - 2M
    Post edited by Fettbemme on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795
    edited February 2022

@aprilshowers2065  maybe you go for a spotlight used as a rimlight from left behind her head? Yes, the glow of the pearl looks very nice now!

@Fettbemme  yes this looks really good!

Post edited by Linwelly on
  • aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 702
    edited February 2022

Thanks @Linwelly. With rimlight added 

Underwater Treasure6.png
    1667 x 2000 - 6M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on
  • I added a plane with an emissive above her to give her rim light.  I tried the spotlight, but it didn't show enough rim light.  I also tried to add depth of field as well.

• I added a plane with an emissive above her to give her rim light.  I tried the spotlight, but it didn't show enough rim light.  I also tried to add depth of field as well.

• edited February 2022

Sorry, I had trouble posting.

take 3.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 6M
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Tangled up with Ink said:

Sorry, I had trouble posting.

you would need to resize your image when you place it insode the post, you can left click on the imag and set the maximum pixel size to 800

you should also be able to delete double posts

from what I could see so far this looks good, the trouble with the spotlight would be that you have to dial up the luminous Flux (in the lights tab) by adding some zeros to the 1500 that are put there as a standart value

• I don't know how to delete the double post.  Everytime I edit it, it creates another image.  I did try to increase the Luminous flux, but the rim light didn't seem to give the effect.

• Fixed the images and removed the double post.

• Thank you.

• vpaintersuevpaintersue Posts: 63
    edited February 2022

SurrenderI am not sure if this should be in the beginners or intermediate challenge.  Although I have been using Daz off and on for four years, it has been a while since I have entered a contest here. This image is lit with the Gl'Amour Ring Lighting for Iray and that is the only light.

angel789.jpg
    2308 x 3000 - 1017K
    Post edited by vpaintersue on
  • vamokvamok Posts: 238

Encounter

Intermediate Challenge Entry

The goal was to create a bunch of reflections on the front glass.

I adjusted the lumens on the flame prop, chopper panel, and ufo lights to enhance the lighting. If you look carefully you can see the UFO reflecting off of the windscreen.

The glass was retextured with Gorgeous Glass Shaders V2.

I tried to create some additional effects with ghost lights (from a kit) but even turned up to 9 million k they were providing no light at all. I will have to investigate this earlier because they are one of my most used assets :-(

Encounter.png
    1899 x 1080 - 3M
    edited February 2022

Decided to play around with the caustic sampler and abbe settings for my second entry. Still learning how they work, so feedback would be appreciated!

My Precious

Intermediate

My Precious2.png
    1667 x 2000 - 7M
    edited February 2022

Version 2, tried slightly different lighting. Would like to hear which people think looks better

My Precious3.png
    1667 x 2000 - 8M
  • vamokvamok Posts: 238

aprilshowers2065 said:

Version 2, tried slightly different lighting. Would like to hear which people think looks better

I like the newer lighting better, but the new lights also make the background stand out more. Perhaps a little depth of field might draw the eye back to your subjects.  

• Unfortunately, I had another stop error with my laptop last Sunday and this time a system file was referenced in the information on the resulting blue screen. I've packed up the system and my cousin has been trying to get ahold of the person who helped us the last time without much luck.
  • Thanks Linwelly! I tried a couple of small changes with my first entry, but I ended up losing too much detail, so I'll just leave it as it is for now I think.

Fettbemme Wow, looks like a photo! Great lighting, textures and posing!

vpaintersue Wonderful render! Very impressive how well that single light brings this to life. Her skin and posing are very realistically done!

vamok Great work with all those reflections!

aprilshowers2065 Those caustics and abbes look very nice. I like the drama in the first version and the color and brightness of the second. Maybe reducing the light intensity in the second version a bit and decreasing the DOF as vamok suggests would bring the best of the two versions together?

Shinji Ikari 9th Sorry to hear about your laptop. I hope you have backups and haven't lost any of your files.

• Thank you. I have not been using Daz for a while...life has been busy, and I forgot how much I enjoyed it. 

@vpaintersue that is a wonderfull render and there is not much I would change about it, you could try using bloom to soften up the light and the contrasts a bit or maybe experiment with the ground fog? Yes I think this is in the beginners challenge

@vamok  very nice work with the reflections, that isn't an easy topic esp on glass where you still want to see whats behind. If you want to relfection to be stronger you could try to brighten up the luminescense of the exploision we see in the reflection and of the sky HDRI as well or you might change the glossy reflectivity of the glass shader. about the ghost lights there is smothing on the common forumthread that with the new update of DS the ghostlights as they were designed will not work anymore since they were based on a bug in Iray that now had been fixed. (thats in the update thread about 4.20)

@aprilshowers2065 interesting experiment, personally I prefer the first version where you can see more of the caustics on the ground. for abbe and caustics the direction of the light is crucial, you don't want the light coming from the camera side but either from behind the opject of sideways

@Shinji Ikari 9th  I'm sorry to hear that, I hope you can get that fixed

edited February 2022

Thank you @vamok, @SapphireBlue and @Linwelly for your suggestions. Added DOF and changed the angle of the lights again so the background is more shadowed and the caustics more visible, while keeping the direct light on the crystal the same as the second version. 

My Precious7.png
    1667 x 2000 - 7M
  • Clash of the Knights

Beginner Challenge Entry

Hello all! Since I have entered this so late, I probably will not have time to improve this with suggestions or correct any details pointed out to me in time for the competition, but all the same, any and all critiques, opinions and suggestions are more than welcome. This is also my first forum post smiley.

knight clash final.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 5M
    edited February 2022

2. Render,

Palast der Republik - Berlin Hauptstadt der Deutschen Demokratischen Republik

- 32 Monate Bauzeit

- Grundsteinlegung 2. November 1973

- Eröffnung 23. April 1976

- Auf einer Fläche von 15300 m²

With EVERMOTION Textures4ever evermotion.org

palast.jpg
    2000 x 844 - 621K
    Post edited by Fettbemme on

This challenge is now closed, thanks a lot everybody for participating.

See you in March challenge!

February 2022

Showcased Participants for the February Lights Challenge

SapphireBlue         Alone

Fettbemme          Kontakt Ruschestraße

HLEET_3D            "Saxophone incredible talent show

Showcased Participants for the February Light Effects Challenge

dhouck        Swamp

Alewis478    LightingChallenge

vpaintersue      Surrender

New User Welcome

vpzammit          Clash of the Knights

Thanks a lot everybody for putting these great ideas forward!

yessmiley

• congrats to the winners!

• vpaintersuevpaintersue Posts: 63
    edited March 2022

I am honored to be chosen. I believe everyone who participated did great!

Post edited by vpaintersue on
  • SapphireBlueSapphireBlue Posts: 841
    edited March 2022

Thank you! Congratulations to all those showcased! And thank you very much for the opportunity to learn like this - each month I can easily see how much more I'm picking up thanks to the helpful links, feedback and practice. Big love. heart

Post edited by SapphireBlue on
  • Congratulations to all those who showcased as well.

• VexillusVexillus Posts: 28

Thank you very much and congrats to everyone.