More light from Dome (from Environment map)

Is it possible to have more light for objects in scene from Environment Map without makeing Dome brighter?

Description of situation:

Environment / Environment Mode = Dome and Scene

Environment / Draw Dome = On

Environment Intensity = 1

Environment Map = 2

The objects in scene are too dark but the Dome is Ok.

If I increase Environment Intensity, or Environment Map, or Tone Mapping / ISO, or Tone Mapping / cm^2 Factor the objects become brighter but Dome also. I do not want dome brighter. Is there any solution?

Situation can be also opossite. Some HDRI images provide too much light. In this case object are too bright but the Dome from HDRI image is Ok. I need to reduce light from the HDRI images.

May be some external program which would modify the light intensity in the image for Environment Map would be helpfull. Any advice?

Comments

• cgidesigncgidesign Posts: 433

Normally you would add lights to the scene.

But can you post a screenshot of the render, the environment settings and the surface settings of an object which is to dark?

• Make a giant sphere around the scene, add the map to the emissions, set opacity to like .00001 as low as possible without it actually being 0. Tweak lums on sphere emission as needed. That'll give you the same light coming from the sphere around the scene as the background to keep it consistant without effecting the actual dome.

Or use lights.

• SpaciousSpacious Posts: 481

You could set the environment to whatever gives you the light you want and then turn off the Draw Dome option.  Render that to PNG so it has transparency where the dome would be.  Then turn Draw Dome back on and set the light to what you think looks good for the sky, hide or delete everything in your scene except for the camera, and render just the sky.  Overlay the scene with transparent sky over the sky render and you're all set.

• greywolfgreywolf Posts: 34

Spacious said:

You could set the environment to whatever gives you the light you want and then turn off the Draw Dome option.  Render that to PNG so it has transparency where the dome would be.  Then turn Draw Dome back on and set the light to what you think looks good for the sky, hide or delete everything in your scene except for the camera, and render just the sky.  Overlay the scene with transparent sky over the sky render and you're all set.

WAY too much work.  There really need to be independent lighting sliders for dome vs. scene.

• kprkpr Posts: 47

charles said:

Or use lights.

yessmiley

• Jay VersluisJay Versluis Posts: 245

Render twice: if you like the image from the dome, render that without any other objects visible. Now adjust the lighting of the dome to make it brighter with your objects visible, then disable the dome and save a PNG of your render with transparency. Composite in your favourite image editor.

Or, for much better results, as suggested: set scene lights. 

• KazeKaze Posts: 51
    edited April 4

I feel like the most straightforward path would have been to decrease tone mapping exposure value and decrease the strength on the environment map. The answers for compositing should fulfill the OP's request. If there is a requirement for this to be done without compositing, then I don't think I could see a way forward. The light intensity is different between the objects in their scene vs. the environment map. It would be like asking the sun to be as bright as a candle and being able to see both very clearly while next to each other. I am curious to know what the scenario is where the OP is unable to lower the environment map's strength.

There is one path that could could possibly work, but it is even more work than compositing. You could literally brighten up the textures on all of the objects you want to be brighter. Sometimes the maps for objects and figures can be a bit darker than what you would want.

For example, I find that many maps for the characters I have purchased can be too dark. If I want to lighten the character's textures I would individually edit the diffuse maps for each surface in GIMP. GIMP has a feature that allows you to increase the exposure of an image as opposed to a flat brightening. Increasing the exposure usually works better as flat brightening washes out the colors on the surfaces to become somewhat gray with a tint of the original texture colors.

Definitely more work than compositing, but it is usually a think you only need to do once per object or figure.

Post edited by Kaze on