I have COVID

I moved to a new senior citizen apartment building 2 months ago. Everything considered, everything was fine, until this week. On Monday, I started feeling ill. I didn't go down for lunch yesterday or today.

Our apartment building manager came up with a rapid COVID test. I have COVID. I assume it's the Omicron variant. I'm in quarrantine. If the symptoms get worse I'll consider seeing a doctor.

Comments

• Some people don't seem very much affected by COVID, and others say it's like the worst flu they've ever had... although Omicron seems milder? I can't say.

Hopefully you've got the jab and it's helping.

Best of health to you.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,420

Look at the bright side, now you can take all the time you want to play with DS, without anyone commenting about the time you use on a computer laugh

Get well soon yes

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,799

get well heart

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,107

Hope you get well soon Ron.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,515

Hope you feel better soon, Ron.

• csaacsaa Posts: 812

Ron Knights said:

Our apartment building manager came up with a rapid COVID test. I have COVID. I assume it's the Omicron variant. I'm in quarrantine. If the symptoms get worse I'll consider seeing a doctor.

Ron,

The Omicron variant has certainly changed the dyamic. Unlike with Delta, now people I know personally are testing positive. Hope you get better soon.

Cheers!

• AndrewJJPAndrewJJP Posts: 634

All the best. Hope you feel better soon.

• Feel better soon. 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,727

Ron,

Take care of yourself. Will keep you in my thoughts.

Mary

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,342

Very sorry to hear that, I hope you'll not be hit too hard and get back up soon!

• James_HJames_H Posts: 1,006

Best wishes. I hope all goes well.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,133

Sorry to hear this - best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery!

• watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026

Get well soon Ron.

• Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,733

Thanks for your support, everyone. I had my first two COVID shots, but didn't get the booster shot. 

I moved to the new apartment building on December 3. They require all residents to eat lunch together. We add that payment to the rent payment. I almost certainly got COVID from eating lunch with my neighbors. I've decided to get a note from my doctor so I won't need to eat lunch with everyone.

I'm still exhausted from my move. I planned to wait till spring before I got a new doctor. I had moved to a new city.

Right now, the most significant symptoms are a feverish feeling (temperature is normal!), and upper respiratory congestion, coughing, etc. I am exhausted but can't sleep. I do pass out sometimes, and am out for a short period. Oh, yeah a couple times I coughed so hard I almost passed out.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,424

Take care Ron. Rest. 
    Yeah, that eating with everybody should not happen right now with all the spread of covid. Maybe they could reduce how many people at one time so everyone staying apart. 

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited January 2022

Ron Knights said:

Thanks for your support, everyone. I had my first two COVID shots, but didn't get the booster shot. 

I moved to the new apartment building on December 3. They require all residents to eat lunch together. We add that payment to the rent payment. I almost certainly got COVID from eating lunch with my neighbors. I've decided to get a note from my doctor so I won't need to eat lunch with everyone.

I'm still exhausted from my move. I planned to wait till spring before I got a new doctor. I had moved to a new city.

Right now, the most significant symptoms are a feverish feeling (temperature is normal!), and upper respiratory congestion, coughing, etc. I am exhausted but can't sleep. I do pass out sometimes, and am out for a short period. Oh, yeah a couple times I coughed so hard I almost passed out.

Requiring you to eat together seems dictatorial - can they actually enforce that?

I had very similar symptoms after my first two jabs - I was one of the unfortunate ones who had quite severe side effects but they passed. My doctor rightly pointed out that I could have been much worse with a full-on infection and I'm still around so I have no regrets. I had the booster too with almost no side effects. 

Anyhow, let's hope you are better very soon.

Post edited by marble on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795

Make a 'Hot Toddy' and have it before you go to bed, will soon fix you up wink

• Lothar WeberLothar Weber Posts: 1,611

Hope you're better soon, since you are "shoot" with two doses. So it might be a "mild" one! heart

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,609
    edited January 2022

Hope all will be okay!

I feel like its only a matter of time with my family...we don't have kids and my husband and I are hermits (we work from home and even do grocery delivery so we avoid people in general)...but my parents who live in the same house both work and my dad is a friggen social butterfly with my two sisters and their kids so I know if we get it, it will almost definitely come in from him. We're all vaccinated and boosted with Moderna, but I know we're down to the last man standing, lol. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on

marble said:

Ron Knights said:

I had very similar symptoms after my first two jabs - I was one of the unfortunate ones who had quite severe side effects but they passed. My doctor rightly pointed out that I could have been much worse with a full-on infection and I'm still around so I have no regrets. I had the booster too with almost no side effects. 

I had pretty strong reaction to the second shot, and the booster was awful. I swelled up like a puffer fish. Couldn't wear a bra for a week. Lumps in my armpit and side of my boob that made me freak a little but I knew it had to be lymph involvement from the shot. Those took about five weeks to go away. All back to normal now, short of a lengthened menstrual cycle which was weird but I've read is actually a thing they're finding out. It all sucked to go through...but I'll do it again when we have to get boosted again, as I'm sure we will. I'll get it in the other arm next time, lol.  

• Ron Knights said:

If you are passing out I would think you want your blood-oxygen levels checked as a matter of some urgency.

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,342

MelissaGT said:

marble said:

Ron Knights said:

I had pretty strong reaction to the second shot, and the booster was awful. I swelled up like a puffer fish. Couldn't wear a bra for a week. Lumps in my armpit and side of my boob that made me freak a little but I knew it had to be lymph involvement from the shot. Those took about five weeks to go away. All back to normal now, short of a lengthened menstrual cycle which was weird but I've read is actually a thing they're finding out. It all sucked to go through...but I'll do it again when we have to get boosted again, as I'm sure we will. I'll get it in the other arm next time, lol.  

THANKS so much for writing that about the breast swelling and the overly lengthy period! I experienced the same and kind of freaked, too, as I have hormonal problems anyways. Feel lots better now knowing it's just a (temporal I hope!) side effect. 

The thing that got me was the irony of things. I literally have enough underwear to go two months without doing laundry. It was time to do laundry, and I struggled to get it done I did not want to risk going to a doctor wearing dirty clothes!

I'm feeling better today. The feverish feeling has diminished. I only coughed a few times during the day. The ladies at the office lent me a Pulse Oxmeter. My oxygen levels are fine. Last night I tried playing some relaxation music to help me sleep. I could feel myself drop hard into sleep, then immediately wake up because the music was playing. I talked to a doctor 20 years ago about when I passed out while coughing. He said it's "normal" because I was deprived of oxygen. That's a small consolation. I'll try to drop in here once a day just to let you know I'm still alive I'm pretty strong and stubborn. I think I'll live!

• DandeneDandene Posts: 162

I hope you'll feel better!  I know the symptoms vary from person to person and for some it really hits hard.  I've had three uncles, one aunt, and several friends get infected (along with their kids).  One neighbor had to be hospitalized and has to regularly get lung treatments.  We've had to be extremely careful in my house.       

MelissaGT said:

All back to normal now, short of a lengthened menstrual cycle which was weird but I've read is actually a thing they're finding out. It all sucked to go through...but I'll do it again when we have to get boosted again, as I'm sure we will. I'll get it in the other arm next time, lol.  

I was the only one in my house that had any side effects from the booster.  My menstrual cycle started several weeks early AND the day after I got the booster.  It really freaked me out.  It was definitely different from what I normally experience.  But everything seems to be back to normal.  

edited January 2022

tsroemi said:

MelissaGT said:

marble said:

Ron Knights said:

THANKS so much for writing that about the breast swelling and the overly lengthy period! I experienced the same and kind of freaked, too, as I have hormonal problems anyways. Feel lots better now knowing it's just a (temporal I hope!) side effect. 

Yeah I did all sorts of "Google Doctor" and gradually found more people making mention of swollen nodes on that side. I was so swollen I couldn't even feel my collar bone on that side. So it was my collar bone, down into my arm pit, and then across onto my breast. What I felt in my breast was like round cords with beads in them, two of them, which would have been the swollen lymph ducts. I read that they're saying no mammograms for 12 weeks after the vaccine now because it's been throwing false-positives on mammograms and causing needless stress. Hopefully more documentation will show up for people short of the random mentions on an obscure forum such as mine (I found most of my "OMG ME TOO" information on Reddit, lol.) And I had no idea there was so much actual lymph tissue in the breast...I knew about the armpit, but not about the actual breast. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Get better soon Ron! 

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,315

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I aplogize that I am unable to respond to every message in this thread, I very much value your support, and am fascinated by the various stories of side effects from the COVID vaccine, I haven't had any side effects from the same shots.

This is the first time in my life that I've experienced anything serious and potentially life-threatening. The most serious illnesses before that were a few bouts of kidney stones. They were mostly a result of being out in the sun too long. In those cases the kidney stones passed before the doctors were able to provide treatment. So you could say I've been fortunate.

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691

Take care and get well soon Ron!!!

I was an early adopter of covid (before the first confirmed cases). It was the worst cough I ever had, every muscle between my head and my hips was stiff from coughing. I was exhaust and slept most of the day (18-21 hours) for over a week, blood pressure went way up, couldn't smell anything, got covid toe(s), etc. The only thing that came close to it was when I got walking pneumonia, and it was a walk in the park compared to covid. I was/am a long hauler - the only symptom left now is a really messed up digestive system. My wife got it at the same time, thankfully she didn't get nearly as sick. A close friend got it in Sept, and he had virtually no symptoms, the only reason he got tested was he couldn't smell anything, and that only lasted two days. Another friend got it in Dec., started feeling sick and coughing in the morning, got much worse during the day and planned to go to the doctor the next day.. Unfortunately he passed away from it during the night.

TLDR - Watch your symptoms carefully! If your one of the unlucky people, it can go from unpleasant to life threatening in a few hours. Definitely don't wait if you get to feeling worse! I clearly remember listening to the wheezing and whistling from my breathing and hearing the whooshing sound of blood flowing in my head every time my heart would beat (it can cause inflammation of the blood vessels which will restrict blood flow). Had I known the symptoms, I would have gone to the doctor (of course no one knew the symptoms then, so it might not have helped). Now I know I was really close to dropping off my mortal coil. Take care, it effects everyone a bit differently, and can hit extremely fast.