[Released] Smart Collections [Commercial]

Comments

• kerrykerry Posts: 74

Thanks @Mark_e593e0a5 very good to know, my content library is now just that bit better organised.

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

DoctorJellybean said:

Does the removal of the metadata also removes the database entries?

Yes, removing the product entry should remove all related entries in the database. 

Good question @DoctorJellybean 

• RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,369

kerry said:

This was the tool that managed to pry open my wallet after months of not spending!

Love it, feeling super organized it's already making the creation process feel way smoother, more fun, and less of a chore of wading through irrelevant items. You can see how I'm using the product in the attached pic. 

The one thing I'm not sure about is how to delete any products created that I don't want anymore, as I got used to using this tool I started to develop a naming convention and a system for organising myself. Actually, now I have a better idea of what I want from my library if I could I would just delete the whole lot and start over. sure it's possible to override stuff but some tool created products i just plain don't want anymore. 

Now I have a bunch of stuff cluttering up my smart content that I wish I could delete but don't know how. 

Exactly the same thing is happening with content wizard too. Had a few fails as I figured it out and now I can't get rid of them in my smart content. 

That is so awesome that you are using the product to its full potential!smiley  As far as answering your questions, @Mark_e593e0a5 has done that admirably.

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

kerry said:

This was the tool that managed to pry open my wallet after months of not spending!

Love it, feeling super organized it's already making the creation process feel way smoother, more fun, and less of a chore of wading through irrelevant items. You can see how I'm using the product in the attached pic. 

The one thing I'm not sure about is how to delete any products created that I don't want anymore, as I got used to using this tool I started to develop a naming convention and a system for organising myself. Actually, now I have a better idea of what I want from my library if I could I would just delete the whole lot and start over. sure it's possible to override stuff but some tool created products i just plain don't want anymore. 

Now I have a bunch of stuff cluttering up my smart content that I wish I could delete but don't know how. 

Exactly the same thing is happening with content wizard too. Had a few fails as I figured it out and now I can't get rid of them in my smart content. 

You can remove the product basically like any other product in DS (you might want to clean up the directory where the shortcuts will be located afterwards, or just leave them, tehy are not taking up a lot of space)

As for the product deletion, select the SmartCollections product in the SmartContent pane. Right-clicking should produce a menu. From that popup-menu, choose "Show Product in Content Library". 

This will take you to the "Products" section on your content library pane, with the product selected. Sometimes, this does not work on the first attempt. Either try to manually locate the product in the library pane, or retry from the SmartContent pane

One you have the product selected in the library pane, right-click on it. A popup menus shows up. From that popup menu, select "Delete".

You will be asked if you really want to remove that product. Select OK. Your SmartCollections product is gone.

This only removes the metadata. For the shortcuts that SmartCollections is creating, you have to remove them from the file system. 

@RiverSoftArt: could a "Remove SmartCollection" be a potential option for the next version?

Thanks @Mark_e593e0a5 for all the help!  

As far as your question, I looked into an uninstall option and Daz recommended doing exactly what you described but through a script.  It was error prone enough that I decided to leave it out.

kerry said:

Thanks @Mark_e593e0a5 very good to know, my content library is now just that bit better organised.

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

DoctorJellybean said:

Does the removal of the metadata also removes the database entries?

Yes, removing the product entry should remove all related entries in the database. 

Good question @DoctorJellybean 

Yes, it should.  However, it seems like for the product record itself something is retained.  When I go to create a Smart Collection product with a different name but the token id is the same, I can get the old name back sometimes.  That is why I added a New button for the token in case this issue came up.

• PlatnumkPlatnumk Posts: 663

I would just like to say that the Update appeared in DIM today and so far all is working as it should on MacOS.

Platnumk said:

I would just like to say that the Update appeared in DIM today and so far all is working as it should on MacOS.

Awesome!  Thank you for sharing!

• I've been enjoying using Smart Collections, but I've run into a perplexing snag. When I used Collections on my old computer, every product I added had the actual Product icon, etc., visible. I could just click on a Smart Collection, flip to Products tab and it would show all the product icons and their names. That was super helpful.

I've since switched to a new computer, downloaded a fresh copy of DIM and Daz Studio, and started rebuilding my Smart Collections from scratch. But now most of those products are missing. Two example screenshots attached below. There should be at least a dozen products showing on that dress one.

I can't tell if I'm experiencing a glitch, if my settings are incorrect on the Options tab in Smart Collections, or if this is the way you intended for the product to work and this is a new update that I downloaded.

For reference, here's the process I'm using to set up a new smart collection. I may well be missing a step in the process and that's all this is.

Process run down in order
        1.    Click New button.
        2.    Add in the Smart Collection name.
        3.    Create and add in the icon you want to use for the collection.
        4.    Begin to add to the Smart Collection by clicking on Add Products button and start searching.
        5.    Once you have added in all the products you want, copy the Smart Collection’s name and click the Save button.
        6.    Paste in the name and save it to where you want to save your collection XML files to where you want those to reside on your computer or external hard drive.
        7.    Click the Options tab and click on Save Product List. Save it to where you want those to reside on your computer or external hard drive.
        8.    Then click Install button and wait until the log says Installation is Complete.
        9.    Click Save button.

Smart Collections Products Missing 2.png
    458 x 419 - 53K
    Smart Collections Products Missing.png
    452 x 451 - 84K
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,837
    edited July 2022

I do  not know, how have I missed this tool - probably, because I do not use Smart Content.

Anyhow wishlisted for now.

If it will be a similar tool not required to use a Smart Content at all,

that would be even more useful for me.

Post edited by Artini on

Cheri Lasota said:

I've been enjoying using Smart Collections, but I've run into a perplexing snag. When I used Collections on my old computer, every product I added had the actual Product icon, etc., visible. I could just click on a Smart Collection, flip to Products tab and it would show all the product icons and their names. That was super helpful.

I've since switched to a new computer, downloaded a fresh copy of DIM and Daz Studio, and started rebuilding my Smart Collections from scratch. But now most of those products are missing. Two example screenshots attached below. There should be at least a dozen products showing on that dress one.

I can't tell if I'm experiencing a glitch, if my settings are incorrect on the Options tab in Smart Collections, or if this is the way you intended for the product to work and this is a new update that I downloaded.

For reference, here's the process I'm using to set up a new smart collection. I may well be missing a step in the process and that's all this is.

Process run down in order
        1.    Click New button.
        2.    Add in the Smart Collection name.
        3.    Create and add in the icon you want to use for the collection.
        4.    Begin to add to the Smart Collection by clicking on Add Products button and start searching.
        5.    Once you have added in all the products you want, copy the Smart Collection’s name and click the Save button.
        6.    Paste in the name and save it to where you want to save your collection XML files to where you want those to reside on your computer or external hard drive.
        7.    Click the Options tab and click on Save Product List. Save it to where you want those to reside on your computer or external hard drive.
        8.    Then click Install button and wait until the log says Installation is Complete.
        9.    Click Save button.

If you are asking about the products in Smart Content, those products need to be installed for Smart Collections to see them and add them.  If you are talking about the actual product link scripts that are created as part of the installation of a Smart Collection, you need to make sure to click install after loading the XML file.  If you don't want to regenerate them, the special product links are stored in a subdirectory called “Smart Collections/Product Assets Scripts” under the first directory listed in the Daz Studio Formats of the Content Directory Manager. 

Artini said:

I do  not know, how have I missed this tool - probably, because I do not use Smart Content.

Anyhow wishlisted for now.

If it will be a similar tool not required to use a Smart Content at all,

that would be even more useful for me.

Sorry Artini, this product is all about Smart Content.  It uses the Smart Content database to build Smart Collections, which at their simplest are just links to other Smart Content assets in the database.

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,909

RiverSoftArt said:

Sorry Artini, this product is all about Smart Content.  It uses the Smart Content database to build Smart Collections, which at their simplest are just links to other Smart Content assets in the database.

It sounds like a good incentive to create a non smart collection product, using the Content Library and Products to create collections.

• Seeker Stock ArtSeeker Stock Art Posts: 75
    edited July 2022

RiverSoftArt said:

If you are asking about the products in Smart Content, those products need to be installed for Smart Collections to see them and add them.  If you are talking about the actual product link scripts that are created as part of the installation of a Smart Collection, you need to make sure to click install after loading the XML file.  If you don't want to regenerate them, the special product links are stored in a subdirectory called “Smart Collections/Product Assets Scripts” under the first directory listed in the Daz Studio Formats of the Content Directory Manager.

Thank you for your reply RiverSoft. Really appreciate it. There are very few scripts in that folder (that is, if I'm looking in the right one). That looks like it could be the problem? And, yes, I'm refering to the product script icons and the actual product twizzle is missing for most of my assets in my Smart Collections. I do click install after opening the XML files and adding new products to a collection, so that is likely not the issue. Could Smart Collections be loading the product scripts to an different location or perhaps the way I set up my files on this new computer is confusing Smart Collections? What would be the best way to resolve this, do you think?

Product Asset Scripts Folder.png
    1026 x 558 - 81K
    Post edited by Seeker Stock Art on

The path should not have changed (unless your paths in the Daz Studio Formats).  If you are clicking install, Smart Collections should generate them.  When you load the XML file, are the products listed properly in the Assets list?

edited July 2022

So I'm wondering if this is the issue (screenshot below). I've got two Product Assets Scripts folders, both on my external drive. That seems problematic. Which is supposed to be the correct location? And how can I ensure that Smart Collections is pointing to that folder?

Also it may be useful to note that I had a recent snafu with the DIM on this new computer. I downloaded/installed all fresh new assets from DIM onto the computer's hard drive. Then I transferred all those files from the hard drive to the external drive. But the DIM glitched out and would only recognize the C: drive locations (even after resetting the database, pointing to the external HD in the Content Directory Manager, etc. So I just went ahead and uninstalled and reinstalled all the files again (so fun!). That fixed that. But I just tried refreshing the metadata in Daz Studio and it brought back previous smart collections that I had deleted (by going into "Show Product in Content Library." Ugh, what a mess. I was hoping that by starting fresh with everything, I'd avoid any weird glitches. Clearly I was wrong. ;)

Also attached is how my assets look when I add products inside a collection. I'm thinking that's what you meant by your last question. 

OMG, I just figured something out! So I clicked on one of the items in a Smart Collection that wasn't showing as a product script under products (the product is Woodland Nymph Makeup 01. It was showing up as an "Accessory." So I right-clicked on it, clicked categorize, and checked Product | Script in there. It shows up as a product under the Product twizzle now. That said, the full product isn't showing. Just the geoshell accessory file. So it doesn't fix the actual problem but made me wonder if the issue is categorization problem.

Also, just to clarify: all assets purchased from the Daz store can and should have a product aset script icon that's clickable when placed/installed in a Smart Collection, correct? For example, even if an asset is simply a jewelry collection and the files in there show as Accessories file type along with material presets or whatnot, there still should be a product script icon that shows when viewing a smart collection?

XMLs listed.png
    1118 x 1293 - 319K
    XMLs listed.png
    1118 x 1293 - 319K
    Duplicate Product Assets Scripts.png
    1136 x 833 - 135K
  • tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,372
    edited July 2022

kerry said:

My, these icons you use look gorgeous! I was about to stop bothering with metadata altogether, but this is so neat and organized and just plain lovely. Where can I get those? Please don't tell me you've created them yourself! 

Edit: Just realized that pics are not included in the reply post anymore. But I hope, @kerry, you'll know which icons I mean anyways.

Post edited by tsroemi on

Cheri Lasota said:

So I'm wondering if this is the issue (screenshot below). I've got two Product Assets Scripts folders, both on my external drive. That seems problematic. Which is supposed to be the correct location? And how can I ensure that Smart Collections is pointing to that folder?

Yeah, there should only be one.  Smart Collections is designed to take the FIRST directory under Daz Studio Formats as the parent for the product scripts folder, though you can change that in the data/RiverSoft Art/Common/RSSmartCollectionsConstants.dsa file.

Also it may be useful to note that I had a recent snafu with the DIM on this new computer. I downloaded/installed all fresh new assets from DIM onto the computer's hard drive. Then I transferred all those files from the hard drive to the external drive. But the DIM glitched out and would only recognize the C: drive locations (even after resetting the database, pointing to the external HD in the Content Directory Manager, etc. So I just went ahead and uninstalled and reinstalled all the files again (so fun!). That fixed that. But I just tried refreshing the metadata in Daz Studio and it brought back previous smart collections that I had deleted (by going into "Show Product in Content Library." Ugh, what a mess. I was hoping that by starting fresh with everything, I'd avoid any weird glitches. Clearly I was wrong. ;)

Also attached is how my assets look when I add products inside a collection. I'm thinking that's what you meant by your last question. 

OMG, I just figured something out! So I clicked on one of the items in a Smart Collection that wasn't showing as a product script under products (the product is Woodland Nymph Makeup 01. It was showing up as an "Accessory." So I right-clicked on it, clicked categorize, and checked Product | Script in there. It shows up as a product under the Product twizzle now. That said, the full product isn't showing. Just the geoshell accessory file. So it doesn't fix the actual problem but made me wonder if the issue is categorization problem.

That is really strange.  It should not be a categorization problem.  (BTW, you do have the Delete Empty Products option unchecked?)

• RiverSoftArt said:

That is really strange.  It should not be a categorization problem.  (BTW, you do have the Delete Empty Products option unchecked?)

I'll see if I can fiddle around with the folder location. I'm wondering if I can just delete the incorrect one without causing an issue. I do have Delete Empty Products unchecked. Sounds like it should be unchecked, right?

Cheri Lasota said:

RiverSoftArt said:

I'll see if I can fiddle around with the folder location. I'm wondering if I can just delete the incorrect one without causing an issue. I do have Delete Empty Products unchecked. Sounds like it should be unchecked, right?

Yes, it should be unchecked.  

Deleting one depends on if there is a reference to one of the product scripts.  The "Clean Product Scripts" directory removes any orphaned scripts.

• RiverSoftArt said:

Cheri Lasota said:

RiverSoftArt said:

Deleting one depends on if there is a reference to one of the product scripts.  The "Clean Product Scripts" directory removes any orphaned scripts.

I appreciate your help with troubleshooting this, but no matter what I try, it doesn't seem to fix the problem. I can't figure out where it's originating from, so I think I'll have to give up on it unfortunately. It was those product script icons I needed to make Smart Collections work for my workflow. Thanks again for your assistance in trying to make this work.

Cheri Lasota said:

RiverSoftArt said:

Cheri Lasota said:

RiverSoftArt said:

I appreciate your help with troubleshooting this, but no matter what I try, it doesn't seem to fix the problem. I can't figure out where it's originating from, so I think I'll have to give up on it unfortunately. It was those product script icons I needed to make Smart Collections work for my workflow. Thanks again for your assistance in trying to make this work.

Sorry I couldn't help.  What can it be about your new configuration that has messed things up?  Perhaps posting your Daz log when you install a smart collection will help.

• To clarify, do you mean the log inside the Smart Collections dialogue box?

Cheri Lasota said:

To clarify, do you mean the log inside the Smart Collections dialogue box?

No, the full log that you get from Help->Troubleshooting->View Log File.  Please only post the parts from when you try to install.

Thanks.

• Will give that a try. But to answer your question, I'm not totally sure. I'm guessing it has something to do with when I first installed to my C drive and then transfered to my D: drive. But if that's the case, I'm not sure how to fix that because I've already reinstalled all the files directly to D: drive all over again to no avail. It's so weird!

• Here's that log file, Riversoft. Thank you again for having a look at this.

txt
    txt
    Debugging smart collections log.txt

Cheri Lasota said:

Here's that log file, Riversoft. Thank you again for having a look at this.

Something that looks very wrong in the log is the path being passed into the SaveScriptAsPreset function:

2022-07-07 17:35:50.471 [DEBUG] :: SaveScriptAsPreset( filename, presetfilename, iconFilename, tipFilename )
    2022-07-07 17:35:50.471 [DEBUG] :: D:/My DAZ 3D Library/data/RiverSoft Art/Data/ShowProduct.dsa D:/My DAZ 3D Library/Smart CollectionsProduct Assets Scripts/Dire Wolf for Daz Dog 8.dsa D:/My DAZ 3D Library/runtime/support/daz_3d_73681_dire_wolf_for_daz_dog_8.jpg D:/My DAZ 3D Library/runtime/support/daz_3d_73681_dire_wolf_for_daz_dog_8.jpg

There should be a slash between "Smart Collections" and "Product Assets Scripts".  Did you edit the D:/My DAZ 3D Library/data/RiverSoft Art/Common/RSSmartCollectionsConstants.dsa file by chance?  This preset filename is built from constants in there:

var sCONTENT_PATH                 = App.getContentMgr().getContentDirectoryPath(0); 
    //var sCONTENT_PATH                 = App.getContentMgr().getDefaultSharedContentDirectoryPath(); // probably C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library where the Runtime/Support files go
    var sSMART_PRODUCT_REL_PATH       = 'Smart Collections/Product Assets Scripts/';
    var sSMART_PRODUCT_REL_PATH_FILE  = '/'+sSMART_PRODUCT_REL_PATH+'%1.dsa';
    var sSMART_PRODUCT_SCRIPTS_PATH   = sCONTENT_PATH + '/'+ sSMART_PRODUCT_REL_PATH;
    var sSMART_PRODUCT_SCRIPTS_PATH_FILE = sSMART_PRODUCT_SCRIPTS_PATH + '%1.dsa';   

What does your D:/My DAZ 3D Library/data/RiverSoft Art/Common/RSSmartCollectionsConstants.dsa look like?

edited July 2022

RiverSoftArt said:

Cheri Lasota said:

Something that looks very wrong in the log is the path being passed into the SaveScriptAsPreset function:

2022-07-07 17:35:50.471 [DEBUG] :: SaveScriptAsPreset( filename, presetfilename, iconFilename, tipFilename )
    2022-07-07 17:35:50.471 [DEBUG] :: D:/My DAZ 3D Library/data/RiverSoft Art/Data/ShowProduct.dsa D:/My DAZ 3D Library/Smart CollectionsProduct Assets Scripts/Dire Wolf for Daz Dog 8.dsa D:/My DAZ 3D Library/runtime/support/daz_3d_73681_dire_wolf_for_daz_dog_8.jpg D:/My DAZ 3D Library/runtime/support/daz_3d_73681_dire_wolf_for_daz_dog_8.jpg

There should be a slash between "Smart Collections" and "Product Assets Scripts".  Did you edit the D:/My DAZ 3D Library/data/RiverSoft Art/Common/RSSmartCollectionsConstants.dsa file by chance?  This preset filename is built from constants in there:

var sCONTENT_PATH                 = App.getContentMgr().getContentDirectoryPath(0); 
    //var sCONTENT_PATH                 = App.getContentMgr().getDefaultSharedContentDirectoryPath(); // probably C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library where the Runtime/Support files go
    var sSMART_PRODUCT_REL_PATH       = 'Smart Collections/Product Assets Scripts/';
    var sSMART_PRODUCT_SCRIPTS_PATH   = sCONTENT_PATH + '/'+ sSMART_PRODUCT_REL_PATH;

What does your D:/My DAZ 3D Library/data/RiverSoft Art/Common/RSSmartCollectionsConstants.dsa look like?

Yes, I did edit the file. I tried to update the content path and relative path to point to my D drive (I honestly had no idea if that was the right thing to update but figured I had nothing to lose by trying it), but since it didn't work, I just reverted it back to the original. But I ended up putting a backward slash in the relative path. I fixed that just now and tried to install the dog smart collection again but it didn't work again.

I keep wondering if I just straight up start over on everything and uninstall/reinstall DIM, Daz, and Smart Collections, but I don't know if that would really help or not. Honestly, I'd try anything at this point. ;)

Cheri Lasota said:

RiverSoftArt said:

Cheri Lasota said:

Yes, I did edit the file. I tried to update the content path and relative path to point to my D drive (I honestly had no idea if that was the right thing to update but figured I had nothing to lose by trying it), but since it didn't work, I just reverted it back to the original. But I ended up putting a backward slash in the relative path. I fixed that just now and tried to install the dog smart collection again but it didn't work again.

After the fix, can I see the log?  Maybe something is still wrong.

I keep wondering if I just straight up start over on everything and uninstall/reinstall DIM, Daz, and Smart Collections, but I don't know if that would really help or not. Honestly, I'd try anything at this point. ;)

You could try to uninstall, delete, and then re-install SC but I agree it will probably not help.  Unless it is a problem with the common files, it is probably a problem with how DS was configured and copied on your new system.

• RiverSoftArt said:

You could try to uninstall, delete, and then re-install SC but I agree it will probably not help.  Unless it is a problem with the common files, it is probably a problem with how DS was configured and copied on your new system.

Sure thing. Attached here. I switched up the dire wolf to dire wolf poses instead to see if that made any difference. But no luck with that pose set either.

And, yes, if you don't see anything amiss in the log, I may just try to uninstall and reinstall Daz, DIM and SC so I know I gave it every try I could. And besides, if the way I've set up my files is making Smart Collections grumpy, it may cause issues down the line with other scripts, etc. If there's one thing I want to ensure on a brand new machine its that I set up the files properly.

By the way, you asked me awhile back to post load times for figures with Turbo Loader. Definitely plan to still do that. Waited on my new computer so I could test it there. ;)

Thanks again!

txt
    txt
    Debugging smart collections log 2.txt
    Only Poses No Products.png
    633 x 786 - 161K
  • Cheri Lasota said:

RiverSoftArt said:

Sure thing. Attached here. I switched up the dire wolf to dire wolf poses instead to see if that made any difference. But no luck with that pose set either.

And, yes, if you don't see anything amiss in the log, I may just try to uninstall and reinstall Daz, DIM and SC so I know I gave it every try I could. And besides, if the way I've set up my files is making Smart Collections grumpy, it may cause issues down the line with other scripts, etc. If there's one thing I want to ensure on a brand new machine its that I set up the files properly.

By the way, you asked me awhile back to post load times for figures with Turbo Loader. Definitely plan to still do that. Waited on my new computer so I could test it there. ;)

Thanks again!

I think I just discovered the issue (I've attached a screenshot of where it appears all my product icons ran off to). It was probably a OneDrive syncing issue. I found what looks to me like all the product icons sitting in OneDrive instead of my external drive. I've just disabled OneDrive and uninstalled it so I don't end up with this same situation again when I reinstall all my stuff. I'll let you know if this fixes the Smart Collections problem.

Just found the problem.png
    1094 x 618 - 98K

Cheri Lasota said:

Cheri Lasota said:

RiverSoftArt said:

Thanks again!

I think I just discovered the issue (I've attached a screenshot of where it appears all my product icons ran off to). It was probably a OneDrive syncing issue. I found what looks to me like all the product icons sitting in OneDrive instead of my external drive. I've just disabled OneDrive and uninstalled it so I don't end up with this same situation again when I reinstall all my stuff. I'll let you know if this fixes the Smart Collections problem.

I hope that fixes it for you.  I did notice in the log that there were references like 

D:data/cloud/meta/1_74069.jpg D:data/cloud/meta/1_74069.jpg

The D: without the slash would be a problem.  That makes it look like your cloud installs are going somewhere weird.