Can you change the names of items in the scene tab?

riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I'm finding that when working on scenes with a lot of characters in them, it can be unwieldy, not to mention confusing, to have a bunch of figures named Genesis (1), Genesis (2), and so on. It would help if I could re-name them to things that are more clear, like the characters' names. I seem to recall seeing something about this mentioned in the old forums, but I can't for the life of me remember where or what it was.

Comments

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Two easy ways to do it:

* Right click on the name of the object root part (not any of the sub-parts) in the Scene Tab, and select Rename. The name in the Scene Tab will become editable. Or,

* Click on the name in the Scene Tab, wait a couple of seconds, click again, and the name will become editable. Just like a file name in a Windows or Mac explorer window.

The object name at the top of the Parameters or Surfaces Tabs (whichever happens to be showing at the moment) will also show the name change.

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    edited December 1969

Thanks. I've tried the first method before, but never saw the rename option come up. I'll give the other method a try.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

The other thing you can do is use nulls (create/null) to group items together. You can name a null whatever you want, you can rename it as just described and you can parent any item you want to one. I create a null for each character and put character, hair, clothing and props together inside it. I also have nulls for the scenery, the lights and the cameras. If you only expand the one you are working on then it really cuts down the number of items within the scene.

Another advantage of nulls is that you can move the null just as for an item, and everything within it will move the same way.