IRAY

Comments

• PatroklosPatroklos Posts: 533
    edited December 1969

I take it that 4.8 has 3delight on it as well as Iray?

I am just begining to get to get renders right on 4.7!

• DekeDeke Posts: 1,609
    edited December 1969

I finally got my 2 gb card into my older mac and with the right drivers can render through Iray. There are some good tutorials in youtube. Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQuaK-ft0I8

Iray is slow….it take forever to render one frame. I take it the render option is more for stills than animation. I've yet to try it on a figure. Question: will my new GPU work in 3Delight and speed up those renders?

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited December 1969

dkutzera said:
    ...Question: will my new GPU work in 3Delight and speed up those renders?

Not yet... though expecting 3Delight to use a GPU anytime soon, is more wishful thinking than any inside knowledge.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987
    edited December 1969

Patroklos said:
    I take it that 4.8 has 3delight on it as well as Iray?

I am just begining to get to get renders right on 4.7!

4.8 has it all - OpenGL, 3Delight, Iray. :)

• PatroklosPatroklos Posts: 533
    edited December 1969

4.8 has it all - OpenGL, 3Delight, Iray. :)

Great!

edited December 1969

Which is great…but what's really needed is faster renders. What's the secret sauce for that? More RAM? A new computer with a faster processor?

• mcpughmcpugh Posts: 93
    edited December 1969

Win the lottery so you can by a beefier computer. Since I haven't won the lottery yet, I found that certain settings will speed up the Iray renders. For example, changing the setting “Instancing Optimization” to “Speed” has made a big difference in render speed alone.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the tip. I'm also going to experiment with rendering some items in 3Delight and others in Iray. From what I've read, Iray is especially suited for translucent surfaces like skin. Making characters more "alive" may be worth the render time.

• westcpwwestcpw Posts: 9

So far I am pretty pleased with iRay results on my machine.  I think (yes I am not sure) I have a 64bit intel 4 core cpue (the i7?) wich threading so have 8 cores and an ATI graphcis card

I'm very pleased with Iray results...though never really mastered 3Delight with uber. I'm using a Mac Pro with a 2gb GTX 670. Be great to get a second card. 

Question: What Mac woud be ideally suited for rendering in Iray? Anything short of the new Mac Pro?

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,497

The old Mac Pro (Alu) 2009-2012 with a good videocard (just check that you have enough extra power. I run a Mac Pro 2012 with a GTX 780 6GB, but they are hard to come by.

There are some soltions for the new MacPro with videocard expansions via thunderbolt-II but they are someone shaky. Some people ae using external PCI chassis whith extra power supplies, but they do need some hacks to get wortking.

• I don't understand how to get good light in Iray! I have tried to buy IrayLights but it doesn't work for me!

When I render, sometimes it goes fine and the most times it turns black with some white dots! 

I use for the most UberEnvironment2 as light.

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029

I don't understand how to get good light in Iray! I have tried to buy IrayLights but it doesn't work for me!

When I render, sometimes it goes fine and the most times it turns black with some white dots! 

I use for the most UberEnvironment2 as light.

UberEnvironment2 is not an Iray light.   It is only a 3Delight light. As far as I know, it does not work at all in Iray.

Iray has a built in light done which is on by default.  It is in the Environment setting on the render tab when Iray is selected for render.

• When I take no lights at all, it is only the light from the camera headlamp. And that makes it look like someone holding a flashlight behind the camera! 

I got something I thought was Iray light, but I can't figure it out: http://www.daz3d.com/irender-lights-for-daz-studio-with-iray

• About once a week I experiment with Iray and I am unexpectedly having most shaders render as smooth, white surfaces.  A wood texture seemed OK, and I can go in and modify values manually.  Still, Iray shaders aren't doing what I expect shaders to do.  Does any newbie mistake come to mind?  Thank you.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited July 2015

About once a week I experiment with Iray and I am unexpectedly having most shaders render as smooth, white surfaces.  A wood texture seemed OK, and I can go in and modify values manually.  Still, Iray shaders aren't doing what I expect shaders to do.  Does any newbie mistake come to mind?  Thank you.

If you are using Iray shaders, something is going wrong.   What lighting are you using in your Scene, are you applying the sahder with BOTH the item selected in the Scene pane AND in the Surfaces pane?

What shaders are you using exactly, and I can try them here for you? 

Do you have the Headlamp switched off for the Camera in the Parameters pane?

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on

When I take no lights at all, it is only the light from the camera headlamp. And that makes it look like someone holding a flashlight behind the camera! 

I got something I thought was Iray light, but I can't figure it out: http://www.daz3d.com/irender-lights-for-daz-studio-with-iray

These are Light Presets and Render Presets, that means that you just double clik on them to load them from the Content Library pane.   Try using one of the Render Presets, and see what happens. 

• About once a week I experiment with Iray and I am unexpectedly having most shaders render as smooth, white surfaces.  A wood texture seemed OK, and I can go in and modify values manually.  Still, Iray shaders aren't doing what I expect shaders to do.  Does any newbie mistake come to mind?  Thank you.

If you are using Iray shaders, something is going wrong.   What lighting are you using in your Scene, are you applying the sahder with BOTH the item selected in the Scene pane AND in the Surfaces pane?

What shaders are you using exactly, and I can try them here for you? 

Do you have the Headlamp switched off for the Camera in the Parameters pane?

Thank you Jimmy,

The main problem was that I had not correctly selected the target for the shader.  All is working now.  Previously the shader pop-up did appear and gave the impression that the shader was being applied, but nothing actually changed. (I should have explored further when the appearance of the object did not change, but I thought that this might depend upon the shader.)  I guess the yellow outline is the indication that a shader can be applied.  The bounding box corners can be present but still not indicate that a shader will be accepted.  I made other changes per your e-mail as well.

-Kevin

IrayDebug.PNG
    548 x 170 - 36K
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited July 2015
    I guess the yellow outline is the indication that a shader can be applied. 

That too, but all it actually means is "this surface on this object is selected".

The bounding box corners can be present but still not indicate that a shader will be accepted.

Yes, it can get a bit unobviously complicated — looking at your screenshot, you have the surface of one sphere selected, but a different sphere object is selected. It's not enough to select "something", you must select the same object as the surface you want to put the shader on to. FWIW, I always do this by using the Surface Selection Tool, it selects both with a single click.

Post edited by SpottedKitty on
  • I'm not sure if this is the right section, but I'll start anyway.  I have been doing some basic renders with Iray and the included  Iray textures for some of the V6 and V7 characters.   I don't have any quibble with the finished render appearance, but I do have a problem with the render output format.  It seems there is no way of directly getting a 32 bit per channel output (.exr or .hdr) directly from Iray.  There is a workaround, which  involves making renders at  three or more different  exposures, and then combining them in Photoshop to get one high dynamic range image.  This is rather tedious and I am wondering if there is a simpler way to get this result

Sarge

• Enable Canvasses in the Advanced tab of render Settings and then click the + icon to add a Beauty pass canvas. That will save as .exr.

• "Enable Canvasses in the Advanced tab of render Settings and then click the + icon to add a Beauty pass canvas. That will save as .exr."

Thanks, Richard

I never would have found that section of the menu even if I spent a year exploring .  Even with your directions it took a couple of passes to locate the beauty pass item and activate it. 

• 3dcal3dcal Posts: 178
    edited July 2015

I would like to try IRay, so "bought" DS4.8 (free), but when I try to use the Install Manager....

Later...just found this list of related threads, and will look for answers there. 

Thanks. wink

Post edited by 3dcal on
  • SertorialSertorial Posts: 962

Is there any thread on this forum which explains the various render settings used for Iray? I could do with some guidance.

Also, how come it has a "percentage complete" bar? Surely this is an unbiased render emgine so it's never "complete"?

• zmortiszmortis Posts: 98
    Sertorial said:

Is there any thread on this forum which explains the various render settings used for Iray? I could do with some guidance.

Also, how come it has a "percentage complete" bar? Surely this is an unbiased render emgine so it's never "complete"?

Unlike other unbiased renderers Iray in Daz Studio has a couple of parameters which control render time. One of these is a time parameter which is defaulted to 1 hour I believe. The other is a render passes parameter which is defaulted to 5000 Iray render passes. Which ever parameter reaches conclusion first will "quit" the render. You can always stop the render earlier than the stop parameters in Iray if you like the image output before reaching the "complete" mark. If you want more or less time or render passes, these parameters are user adjustable under the render settings.

• SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    zmortis said:
    Sertorial said:

Unlike other unbiased renderers Iray in Daz Studio has a couple of parameters which control render time. One of these is a time parameter which is defaulted to 1 hour I believe. The other is a render passes parameter which is defaulted to 5000 Iray render passes. Which ever parameter reaches conclusion first will "quit" the render. You can always stop the render earlier than the stop parameters in Iray if you like the image output before reaching the "complete" mark. If you want more or less time or render passes, these parameters are user adjustable under the render settings.

Aha! Thanks. I have literally only just downloaded Studio 4.8 so I was a bit clueless. How do I control render quality and how do I set up materials? Are there any threads on this?

Please look at this thread for Iray informtaion

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/56788/iray-start-here#latest

• SwanSwan Posts: 134
    edited August 2015

I've been an NVIDIA fan for years. So much that I refuse to buy any other type videocard. I've tried Iray and have since gone back to Reality and LuxRender. Higher quality, tighter control. 

Post edited by Swan on
  • When I take no lights at all, it is only the light from the camera headlamp. And that makes it look like someone holding a flashlight behind the camera! 

Just use these lights. They are free and they work great: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53797/free-design-anvil-iray-light-render-presets

• will a titan x give iray insane performance gains?