How to extend two planes and joint together

chanev7chanev7 Posts: 3
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

This is probably a silly question. But I am new to this software. So I thought I may ask here.
How may I extend two planes and joint together, as indicated in the attached pic.
I had two planes on the left. I was trying to joint em two together to be look like the one in the right.
(the right one the what I get from deleting faces from a cube).
So I can proceed my modeling learning:)
Thanks,

Capture.JPG
795 x 417 - 32K

Comments

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

1. First get them aligned - select Utilities>Snap/Align. In vertex selection mode, click on a vertex of the horizontal plane, closest to the vertical plain, hold Shift and click on the matching vertex of the vertical plane. That should bring them together.

2. In object selection mode, select both planes and select Vertex modeling>Weld - not Points weld. That will make the two objects one.

3. That should also weld the vertices - check by gently pulling on an adjoining corner - if both move, it is welded. If so, undo the move.

4. If they didn't weld, with the object selected, select Average weld, slowly increase the default distance under Properties until they do weld. If you overdo it and the wrong corners weld, decrease the distance.

Don't forget to validate :)

• chanev7chanev7 Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

Thank you Roygee, that did work!

How ever here comes a further question.
    If I want to keep both planes' original location. See pic below. I have extended (stretched?) the both planes' edge so they intersect with each other. How may I get a intersection line? as shown in red to the right.

And by the way how do you rename a form or curve in Hexagon's scene tree? Mine shows only form 1 form 2 curve 3 very confusing sometimes. Thanks!

Capture111.JPG
    796 x 389 - 42K
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Simply do it the way you have and weld - not point weld. One thing you really don't want in 3D modeling is to try to weld a shape like that - it is known as non-manifold, one of the worst modeling practices:)

To change the name, have the object selected - right at the top of the Properties panel is a slot "Name" - type in a new name and hit enter.