Your Experiences with G2 characters in Carrara please. Esp. Animators.

Hi,

Working with G2 characters within Carrara would be a great animation fit for me (I'm looking to mocap via video files, all smoothed out via the Deepmotion subscription service which works directly with G2s).

However I've read how some struggled early on with G2, how is it now? Do they work OK in Carrara? Do I have to know about some gliches and workarounds? How about animators, are you happy animating with G2s?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've only ever animated with V4/M4 in Carrara before.

Thanks

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

I have been using the Genesis 2 / V6/M6 generation figures in Carrara for several years.  However, I have done very little animation with them.  

* Some known issues, most of these apply to Genesis 1 as well.

1) To convert V4/M4 clothes for use by V6/M6, must first use Daz Studio as a free plugin and use its transfer utility, convert, then save as an asset.

2) Geografts for genesis 2 (such as the minotaur) screw up the UV maps in Carrara.  A work around is to load and apply the geograft once, hide that one, then load a second geograft conforming to the first.  Second should have UVs that are OK and line up reasonably well..

3) Shaders tweaks - standard issue that Carrara shader trees and functions are slightly different from Daz Studio or Poser and so require some tweaks.

4) Carrara morphing in posed position - the ability to create and edit morphs in the posed position is limited.  You can still go in the modeling room, ignore the warning, and manipulate the mesh, but saving as a morph for immediate scene use in posed position is hampered.  You can still use Carrara to make morphs for Genesis 2 figures in general, its just that you have to save them out as OBJs and then add them to the saved morph list in Daz Studio.

Dartanbeck has migrated to later genesis generations and has several detailed posts on how he uses them for animation.  

Might start here, read around it as well, and follow links to his website for more details.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7111486/#Comment_7111486

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,197

Diomede many thanks for taking the time to give me a detailed answer.

I am only interested in G2 due to its animation possibilities. So far it doesn't seem too troublesome then. I am encouraged to investigate further.

It would be great to combine Carrara with daz and to animate in Carrara when that software is more suitable and daz when it is easier.

Cheers!