DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Project Iradium] - version 4.8.0.9!

Comments

• ChuckdozerChuckdozer Posts: 453
    edited December 1969

Ostadan said:
    Weird problem with Fighting Monk for Genesis 2 Male in Iray: the right wrist guard (and only that component) ends up lighter than the left one, as if it either has a high specular or a desaturated base. Anyone else seen anything like this? I cannot see any difference between the left and right surfaces; and all the wrist guard surfaces exhibit this.

I ran into this late yesterday on the outfit I'm currently illustrating. Two brown boots... but one was rendering brown, and the other was rendering a really light cream color. My Art Director cleared up what the problem was, and just how to fix it. The problem is not the normals... it's actually the texture maps. Separate maps for each wrist guard... both look the same, but one of them has gamma set correctly to 0 (the one that renders normally)... and the other texture map has a different gamma value, most likely 1. Click on the texture map in the surfaces tab and open the image editor. Check the gamma... as I said it will probably be set to 1. Reset it to 0 and everything will render beautifully.

A side note to anyone rendering AprilYSH hairstyles in Iray.... I've found this problem with the Brown texture maps on several of her beautiful hairstyles. If your brown hair is rendering blonde no matter what you do, check the texture map gamma. All texture maps should have a gamma value of 0.

• 8eos88eos8 Posts: 170
    edited December 1969

FYI, some of us have a bug where changing the gamma in Image Editor doesn't actually do anything. I filed a bug report a week ago and got confirmation from one of the developers that this is a known issue.

edited December 1969

8eos8 said:
    FYI, some of us have a bug where changing the gamma in Image Editor doesn't actually do anything. I filed a bug report a week ago and got confirmation from one of the developers that this is a known issue.

Well, for Your information, if the image file comes into DS with any gamma value other than 0, changing the gamma settings WILL work. It only doesn't do anything if your image is PROPERLY set to 0!
  • RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

8eos8 said:

Well, for Your information, if the image file comes into DS with any gamma value other than 0, changing the gamma settings WILL work. It only doesn't do anything if your image is PROPERLY set to 0!

A value of 0 just means that DAZ Studio should apply "best guess". Generally control maps should have a gamma of 1 and non-control maps a gamma of 2.2.

edited December 1969

Renpatsu said:
    8eos8 said:

A value of 0 just means that DAZ Studio should apply "best guess". Generally control maps should have a gamma of 1 and non-control maps a gamma of 2.2.
    Not going to argue the whole "gamma" issue with anybody. Believe whatever you want. Some people just don't want to listen.

edited December 1969

"Believe whatever you want" exactly what I need to say there.

edited December 1969

You know, I answered a post to provide someone with a fix to a problem. I had the same problem, but luckily my Art Director has a direct pipeline to the developers at Daz and the Nvidia team, and he provided me an answer. I shared it. It fixed my render, so it is correct information.

edited December 1969

You conclude that 0 is always right, which it is not necessarily. It just tells DAZ Studio to guess and ... guess what ... there are occasions it guesses wrong.

edited December 1969

Renpatsu said:
    You conclude that 0 is always right, which it is not necessarily. It just tells DAZ Studio to guess and ... guess what ... there are occasions it guesses wrong.

No... I was TOLD that 0 is right for ordinary texture maps. 16, 24, or 32bit image files may have different gamma settings, but they too should be set to 0 IF Gamma Correction is turned on in the renderer. I'm not guessing or assuming anything... I'm simply passing on the information I was given by someone who knows.
    edited December 1969

http://blog.irayrender.com/post/14310848190/physically-plausible-scene-setup
    http://www.aversis.be/tutorials/vray/vray-20-gamma-linear-workflow_01.htm

Everyone says something different. Who's right? Who's wrong? Who cares. Chuckdozer has left the conversation.

edited December 1969

Thanks Spooky! I was hoping for some backup, but a new beta is even better! Now they'll be too busy downloading and installing and tinkering to argue :D And so will I :)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,858
    edited December 1969

Renpatsu said:

No... I was TOLD that 0 is right for ordinary texture maps. 16, 24, or 32bit image files may have different gamma settings, but they too should be set to 0 IF Gamma Correction is turned on in the renderer. I'm not guessing or assuming anything... I'm simply passing on the information I was given by someone who knows.

Renpatsu isn't saying you were guessing. A 0 value tells DS to "guess" - that is, apply some rules in the code to determine the correct value to use. However there are occasions, mainly with Shader Mixer shaders or where maps are being used in a non-standard way, when it may be necessary to set an explicit value rather than use 0.

edited December 1969

Oh yes, I get that. I guess when I said I wasn't guessing or assuming anything I should have said that I wasn't concluding anything.
    Honestly, I don't know everything about how Daz Studio handles gamma... I only know what I've read, and it's fairly simple to do a google search for info on the subject. Mostly I know that I had the same problem with two mirrored items rendering differently. The boss told me to check the gamma on the two images and make sure they were both 0... if one was different from 0 to reset it. One of the maps had a gamma value of 0, the other was 1. I changed it to 0, re-rendered, and everything was just right. Sounds like the right fix to me, and that's all I was relaying was a fix. When I said that all texture maps should be set to 0, I did so because the boss told me that was the correct value, and I've found that to be true in my work. Whether or not the image editor gamma settings had a bug is beside the point if the fix worked.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

A side note to anyone rendering AprilYSH hairstyles in Iray.... I've found this problem with the Brown texture maps on several of her beautiful hairstyles. If your brown hair is rendering blonde no matter what you do, check the texture map gamma. All texture maps should have a gamma value of 0.

<blink>

<headdesk>

Thanks, you've just solved something that's been puzzling me for the last few weeks. I didn't realise until now that the Image Editor window had a gamma adjustment option.

edited December 1969

<blink>

<headdesk>

Thanks, you've just solved something that's been puzzling me for the last few weeks. I didn't realise until now that the Image Editor window had a gamma adjustment option.
    You are most welcome! So glad I could help!

edited December 1969

8eos8 said:

I got a response to the bug I filed saying that it was a known issue, and it was going to be fixed in the next release (the one that came out today). Was the attitude really necessary? I wasn't questioning whether or not gamma correction is a good idea, I was talking about a real bug in the beta that was affecting me. Jeeeez.

edited December 1969

8eos8 said:
    8eos8 said:

I got a response to the bug I filed saying that it was a known issue, and it was going to be fixed in the next release (the one that came out today). Was the attitude really necessary? I wasn't questioning whether or not gamma correction is a good idea, I was talking about a real bug in the beta that was affecting me. Jeeeez.

I gave instruction on how to solve a render problem that another member was having simply because I knew the fix. It had nothing to do with the bug.... it was a fix that worked and still does. I don't see where popping in with an FYI bulletin on the image editor was necessary when the fix I gave works despite the bug. Jeeez.

edited December 1969

No, it wouldn't have worked at all if they were affected by the bug. That's why I mentioned it, just in case they got frustrated with it not working, like I've been.

edited December 1969

I was also affected by the bug. Changing any image from 0 to anything else did nothing. But changing an image that came into studio with 1 back to 0 was working. Anyway, the bug is fixed now, and I certainly hope it works for you.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited December 1969
  • KRISHANKOKRISHANKO Posts: 87
    edited December 1969

im having some trouble rendering in iray. whenever i add a skydome, the image turns pitch black no matter what i do.
    im deducing the skydome is "blocking" the view. i messed with all the parameters and still nothing.
    this doesnt happen with any other rendering method.

• Cake OneCake One Posts: 381
    edited December 1969

KRISHANKO said:
    im having some trouble rendering in iray. whenever i add a skydome, the image turns pitch black no matter what i do.
    im deducing the skydome is "blocking" the view. i messed with all the parameters and still nothing.

Think of IRAY as a renderer who behaves like a real life camera.
    If you are in the street, with the sky as your main light, and if you hide inside a opaque half sphere laid on the ground. Will you see the sun light?
    No

Solution would be :

A : Turn your dome into a light emitter

or

B : use the environment dome to put your background image.

I hope it helps
    C.

edited December 1969

i... dont know how to do either of those things

• Cake OneCake One Posts: 381
    edited December 1969

KRISHANKO said:
    i... dont know how to do either of those things

I suggest you check this thread for more infos and tips :)
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/56788/

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987
    edited June 2015

KRISHANKO said:

The Skydome is like putting a bowl over something, blocking out all other light except scene lights. A skydome in Iray is an obstacle to the sunlight and the domelight.
    The best way is to delete the skydome and use a backdrop image, or use a HDRI that can double as background.

Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited June 2015

...3DL lets you get away with using a Distant Light and a skydome as you can turn shadow casting for the dome off. Not the case with Iray.

One issue with HDRIs I have is character and prop placement, as you have to pretty much use the Iray view mode to see the background. If you have an older GPU with 1 or 2 GB of memory and only a couple hundred CUDA cores (such as I have), the viewport will be very very slow to refresh each time you move an item or the camera.

Also not all HDRIs are created equal. Many I that I have downloaded either do not have a bright enough "sun" or the shadows are either too sharp or too diffuse. Another other issue is when there is a "sun provided, it is fixed in elevation so you may find a good part of your setting in shadow dependent on the other items in the scene like trees, buildings, etc.. There are high quality high resolution ones available but one usually has to purchase them individually from the various HDRI sites.

Overall, I feel the Iray Sun/Sky provides the most "real" outdoor lighting. It's just too bad that there are no sky backdrops that offer different sky conditions. Hoping that maybe Dreamlight will do something akin to Azure Skies which had sky only HDRIs for UE with multiple sun elevations for each setting.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited June 2015

lee_lhs said:
    KRISHANKO said:

The Skydome is like putting a bowl over something, blocking out all other light except scene lights. A skydome in Iray is an obstacle to the sunlight and the domelight.
    The best way is to delete the skydome and use a backdrop image, or use a HDRI that can double as background.

i just noticed pretty much anything indoors is pitch black, even putting a spotlight right on the face of my model does nothing.
    didnt use a sky dome on that one. all i want to do is render a farm scene (inside the barn). do i have to manually add lights everywhere to give the illusion of daylight?

such a great renderer with so ridiculous flaws.

Post edited by KRISHANKO on
  • DAZ_cjonesDAZ_cjones Posts: 637
    edited December 1969

KRISHANKO said:
    lee_lhs said:
    KRISHANKO said:

i just noticed pretty much anything indoors is pitch black, even putting a spotlight right on the face of my model does nothing.
    didnt use a sky dome on that one. all i want to do is render a farm scene (inside the barn). do i have to manually add lights everywhere to give the illusion of daylight?

such a great renderer with so ridiculous flaws.

Did you adjust the tonemapper? The default settings are for outdoor lighting (exposure value 13). Indoor barn would be much lower probably in the Exposere Value 4-7 range.