Gen 4 shoes to Gen 5 (Genesis).... REQUEST!

RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I do have one request if anyone is up for the challenge .... I really would love for someone to come up with a way to set the Genesis feet properly so shoes from Gen 4 transfer nicely. First time in a month I've had any time to mess with DS and using the newest version to do some transfers, picked the Vortex set from Out of Touch and Bice from 'Rosity but the boots just look horrible.

My thinking is allot of folks are not going to want to go into ZBrush or where ever to smooth things like the soles and tops of the shoes or boots out.

If you notice the Gen 3 shoes transfer over quite well and I realize as do most folks is that the Gen 3 and Gen 5 have flat foot default stance while the Gen 4 is toes pointed down default stance. I tried coming up with a solution on my own but after an hour of messing with things I just am over it.

Might be worth money too if there is some brilliant script person that has a solution brewing. I'm willing to pay as I'm sure others would be too.

Thanks much!

Comments

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited August 2012

There was a solution. I cannot find the thread. It involved posing v4 exactly the same as genesis, making sure the feet are identical, then conform shoes to v4, export the shoes in that position, and import the obj to fit genesis. Note this worked for most shoes not all.

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Hmmm, interesting!

• graham jamesgraham james Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

I have had some success transferring V4 boots to Genesis.

Pose V4 legs and feet to exactly match Genesis
    Load boots onto V4
    Send boots to Hexagon then send them straight back to Studio as props
    Use transfer utility to fit prop boots to Genesis
    Edit the weight maps of the boots so that the XYZ rotations of the feet affect the heels (and tips) 100%
    Pose Genesis so boots look correct
    Apply V4 shape to Genesis
    If a FBMVictoria4 morph was created in the boots you may need to set it to 0% to prevent wrinkling

Sorry for not going into more detail but it's a while since I did this and I tried several methods but this is the rough method that gave good results on some boots.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,846
    edited December 1969

The Gen3's were modeled with their feet flat on the floor, just like Genesis, that's why they transfer over well, the Gen4's feet point down so the mesh gets destroyed as it's moved up.

Watch out for the Boot template, I don't know if they've fixed it yet as I'm still using RC1, but the rig in the template hasn't matched the one in Genesis right from the start, the Hip bone is off which throws the mesh off, it was bug reported a while ago by a friend of mine and it was "confirmed" but that's as far as the bug report has gotten.

edited December 1969

More great info. Thanks folks! :-)

edited December 1969

Thanks again folks. graham james your technique works, at least for flat wear or sort of flat heels. This set is from the Miss DeeAnna J set. Used Shaders to texture it to see what would look good. Mixture of the Super Suit and Mach Pack for the socks. Quite happy, no funny mess to deal with. I'm sure if there are morphs in the laces.... well anyway, no big deal. LOL

Took me a bit of work till I was happy with the leg and foot position for V4 but I got it just right I think. I then saved that out as a new scene file to load up with Genesis if I want to do other pieces.

The Transfer tool is doing better too I think. I did add a smoothing modifier to it as it helps to get things "popped" into place better when conforming.

MissDeeShoesSocksShaders.jpg
    997 x 1068 - 185K
    MissDeeAnnaJBootsT.jpg
    916 x 692 - 127K
    MissDeeAnnaJBootsB.jpg
    929 x 786 - 113K
    MissDeeAnnaJBoots.jpg
    1358 x 934 - 347K
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

The RopeSandals for Genesis comes with a foot pose that is very much like a V4 pose. If nothing else it is close enough that you can tweak it to create a pose preset.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Pose is done but thanks for the info Kendall. Now if for some crazy reason I need high heels or high heeled boots I'll have to do this all over again with that pose in mind I guess. lol I'm very pleased with how smoothly the shoes did convert though. Surprised some individual didn't try to make a pack of pre poses for the Gen 4 family (V4 - M4 mostly) for flat, med and high heeled shoes and sell it. It's a bit fidgety to get it just right and found out that the feet are NOT as symmetrical as folks think they are.... the rotations are a little different for each foot when all is said and done.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Pose is done but thanks for the info Kendall. Now if for some crazy reason I need high heels or high heeled boots I'll have to do this all over again with that pose in mind I guess. lol I'm very pleased with how smoothly the shoes did convert though. Surprised some individual didn't try to make a pack of pre poses for the Gen 4 family (V4 - M4 mostly) for flat, med and high heeled shoes and sell it. It's a bit fidgety to get it just right and found out that the feet are NOT as symmetrical as folks think they are.... the rotations are a little different for each foot when all is said and done.

Make sure to save a pose preset so that you don't need to redo the work over again...

Kendall

edited December 1969

Oh, I mentioned that a couple of posts up... done and saved!

edited December 1969

Glad it worked for you RAMWolff.

edited December 1969

Have you done high heels or platform boots yet? If so any tips Graham?

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

I've managed to do a handful of conversions from V4 to Genesis, so I'm reasonably happy with the process, but what's the best way of adapting it to a figure that's considerably smaller - K4 being the obvious choice? Should I scale K4 up, scale Genesis down, use the Genesis Child, or something else?

edited December 1969

Is there even a conversion template for the K4's?? I thought DAZ didn't do one. Might be wrong. I mean any shoe you convert can be worn by Genesis at any size and most shapes, esp if you have smoothing added since it creates that extra 'push' to keep things fitted nicely.

edited December 1969

Sorry RAMWolff I got distracted by the shiny new DS 4.5 pro release.

I've had mixed results with high heels and I have not tried platforms.

Before I figured out the weight map adjustments the heels used to bend with the toes LOL.

Once you modify the weight maps that is sorted but the soles always seem a little crinkly at the toe joints.
    Sometimes smoothing the transitions on the weight maps helps a bit.

None of the boots I've converted would bear close scrutiny of the sole but luckily with the figure standing on the floor that area is hidden.

I've seen renders of the female boots from the supersuit that look a bit strange at the toe joint.
    The silver boots in the promo images have a very slight curve where you would expect the sole to be flat.