Posing a Hexagon Figure

PinzelmeisterPinzelmeister Posts: 114
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

So I open a low-poly pose-able figure in DAZ (i.e. a cat or something), then take it into Hexagon. . . . do a tiny bit of work on it, then send it back to DAZ. Fine, except that the figure can no longer be posed (i.e. the "nodes" are gone) . . . right? Or is there some way to preserve them?

Comments

• useroperatoruseroperator Posts: 247
    edited March 2015

I could be wrong, but hexagon doesn't preserve that type of information. perhaps certain formats will preserve that information though.

Post edited by useroperator on
  • SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,684
    edited March 2015

Have the original figure in the scene (in Studio) and selected and then send your morph from Hex to Studio.
    Select the areas you want the morphs to be active on (or leave it by default for all) and name it.
    Then go to your parameters tab and it should be there as a morph :)

Post edited by Sylvan on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

It's not Hexagon that doesn't preserve that information - the .obj format doesn't.

You can either send it across the bridge - this is what it was designed for - or use Morph Loader Pro to load the morph if using the export as .obj format.

• PinzelmeisterPinzelmeister Posts: 114
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the helpful comments. I took some time to look things over more closely, look for related tutorials etc. I am still not quite clear on some things/need additional pointers. So I will try to be more specific.
    I open this low-poly figure in DAZ. I want to use the arms/chest as part of another figure so I take it into Hexagon and cut off the parts I don't want. I then send it directly back to DAZ (i.e. as opposed to exporting it as an obj file) . . . it looks just like this in DAZ only the posing nodes are gone . . . i.e. no way to "bend" and "twist" the forearms etc. Is there any way to preserve or restore the posing nodes of the revised figure? Thanks again for any pointers towards relevant tutorials/threads etc.

LL_in_Hex.jpg
    871 x 986 - 206K
    edited December 1969

The short answer is no:)

Once you delete something from the original figure, you destroy everything about it that makes it a figure - rigging, UV mapping, textures, morphs and you are left with only a mesh.

One method to achieve what I think you want to do is to export it as an .obj, do the surgery in Hexagon, build (or cut up another figure) to get the other parts, join them then go through the whole process of UV mapping, texturing, and rigging.

The other method is to use two figures, morph them without damaging them, make parts of each invisible and match them together. There is a lot more to this method, but that is the basics. Over the years, many Minotaurs and Mermaids have been made this way - you could probably find some examples for free at ShareCG to study.

edited December 1969

As to "the other method" - yes, I have been doing that for some time now with rather positive results. The problem is (obviously) that eventually a file that appears to have 2 or 3 figures in it actually has 2 or 3 times that many (since one figure is made up of several others). I was getting files that took literally 45 min to an hour to open. Once I learned the basics in Hexagon I was able to cut and combine things with very positive results . . . with figures that didn't need "posing" that is, of course. I'm just trying to see if I could push things a little farther. Presumably I would have to re-rig the cut figure . . . I have no idea how to do that but I'm always up for new challenges.

edited December 1969

I have no idea how to do that but I’m always up for new challenges.

Just as well - it is a big challenge :)

The actual process is pretty simple, if tedious and time-consuming. Getting the figures to work as well as professionally made Daz figures is the real challenge!

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    edited December 1969

Once you send the "object" back to Daz
    Go to Edit -> Object -> Rigging -> Convert prop to Figure
    (Hopefully this is a newer model (genesis version as I've only done this with these models so far)

If it's genesis based, select the Triax weight mapping

Load up a new copy of the original then go to
    Edit -> figure -> transfer utility

in the upper left selection select the original, unedited model
    the upper right selection, select your edited model and click "Ok"

this will transfer the rigging from the original to your edited model so it can be posed again.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the helpful suggestions; partly I'm just trying to see what I can do with Hexagon. One simple approach that's working quite well for now is just to send part of the figure to Hexagon . . . for example I need to be able to post the "arms" but not the "head" of the composite figure . . . so I send the "head" figure to Hexagon and cut out the unnecessary stuff. Presto . . . the new figure is WAY smaller in size and I can still pose it.