Why does DAZ require Internet access to show me my existing Content?

BolanBolan Posts: 3

I had to re-install my Firewall software recently, and while getting everything all setup and secure, I told it to make DAZ (along with every other program) ask for permission before it connects to the Internet. Out of curiosity as much as anything else, I denied it permission the next time I ran the program, and once it started, all of my content was gone.

I tried re-importing all mete-data like I have dozens of times in the past, and it zipped through the list in seconds (normally it takes many minutes), and it had no apparent effect. No content, no nothing. So I restarted the software (again without internet access), with identical results. I restarted a 3rd time, but allowed it to connect with the internet, and viola, all of my content was there.

So my question is this : Why does DAZ REQUIRE Internet access to let me see and use my local content?

UPDATE :
After a couple of more tests, it got even more interesting. If I unplug my network cable, and then tell my Firewall to let DAZ use the Internet (even though I'm not actually connected anymore), everything appears to work OK, my content is present.

Obviously this means that the software itself doesn't need the internet to work right, but then why does denying it access (via the Firewall) prevent it from functioning?

Post edited by Bolan on

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

It doesn't require internet access, it requires local access so that DAZ Studio can communicate with CMS. You firewall should give you the option of allowing local access without internet access.

• BolanBolan Posts: 3
    edited March 2015

It doesn't require internet access, it requires local access so that DAZ Studio can communicate with CMS. You firewall should give you the option of allowing local access without internet access.

hi fixmypcmike - Thanks for the quick response.

It does, and I did. I only denied it access to the Internet, not the local network.

Edit - I guess I should mention that my Firewall (ZoneAlarm) had to be re-installed due to erratic behavior. I think I may be blaming the wrong software here - I should be looking into ZA, not DAZ.

Post edited by Bolan on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Ah, ZoneAlarm -- did you install PostgreSQL CMS? There's a long-standing bug in ZA with PostgreSQL. You'll need to uninstall PsotgreSQL CMS and use the older Valentina CMS if you have ZA.

edited March 2015

RESOLVED - Not an issue, just me being a moron.

In case anyone else using ZoneAlarm runs into this - be sure to add the 127.0.0.0 subnet (127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0) to your local/trusted Zones. I am pretty sure it used to do this itself automatically, but the newer versions have been somewhat problematic.

Thanks for the help mike - you got me looking in the right direction.

Addendum - Mike: It may be worth mentioning that I am in fact using PostgreSQL CMS. Perhaps the long-standing issue you referred to is ZA-Zones related, and not an inherent software glitch. Just a thought.

Post edited by Bolan on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,123
    edited December 1969

The situation may have changed, but when DAZ first started to use PostgreSQL it was an intractable issue - affecting all users of PostgreSQL, not just the DAZ CMS - that had been going on for a while.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Issues like that are why I quit recommending ZoneAlarm...

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Issues like that are why I quit recommending ZoneAlarm...

Preaching to the choir.

I used to like ZA a lot, not it's nothing but one headache after the other.