Hex v Blender

Blackbirdx61Blackbirdx61 Posts: 300
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

I'll be buying a 3D Modeling program next week,

but which, Seems to me I have a choice between

Blender, which is free, and has a User guide on Kindle for about $20.00
and
Hex, which costs about the same but no User guide.

But I have heard Blender is pretty newbie hostile, but that was my experience with DAZ, no real thought for the Naïve User.
Now 2 years down the line I have not changed that opinion but I am otherwise happy with and comfortable in DAZ.

So ...
I was hoping for some opinions as to the best option for a Naïve User, whose main goal will be to create some custom morphs for
v4 and Genesis. I'm hoping to Illustrate some short fiction I've written in a D&D type universe; so Elves, Gnolls, orcs and all; and it seems to me that rather spend more for creature morphs; I could get just what I want if I invest a lil more time in doing some 3D modeling myself.

As a Traditional Artist for the last 30 years, I'm kinda looking forward to the experiment, BB.

Comments

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

But I have heard Blender is pretty newbie hostile, but that was my experience with DAZ, no real thought for the Naïve User.

Trust me when I tell you that Blender makes DAZ seem like it is the least complex program on earth. I've been looking at it again and still just cringe at the interface and complexity. And this is after nearly 10 years doing 3d stuff including a stint trying to learn blender years ago before I got HEX. Hex has it's issues (save often) but I know quite a few PA's still prefer it to at least start projects even if they have to go to a different program to finish them out.

If your not going to be doing advanced modeling and need all the complexity I would say go with Hex. It is the aging and somewhat worn fuzzy blanket of modelers.

• Blackbirdx61Blackbirdx61 Posts: 300
    edited December 1969

I kinda like fuzzy blankets.. : ) Thanks Khory, will definitely consider your advise.
    btw lovely avatar. BB.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Thank you Blackbirdx61

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

If that type of modelling is all you are interested in, go with Hex - there are many, many free tutorials on the net for it. Morph type modelling is relatively simple and not very demanding of the software.

Blender is very advanced and certainly not for the casual modeler.

• useroperatoruseroperator Posts: 247
    edited February 2015

blenders main failing is its overly complex user interfece. it's more powerful than hexagon, with more features, but many of those features are for very specific things. part of the issue, is learning what does what in the best and fastest way while still maintaining configurability to the model, both at the time, and down the line. blender is an example where bombarding your users with too many features can be a bad thing, because it's really hard to be intuitive with such a technical interface with menu's within menu's.

hexagon's interface is more like that of photoshop, and all of its shapes/tools can be easily utilized to create any shape you want, low poly or high poly. in its day, hexagon was specially a treat, because we didn't have many of the newer programs out with newer features. even then, hexagon is still a powerful tool that can be used to create high quality models with relative ease. some tasks may require a bit more manual work than some stuff in blender, but manual also means more control over aspects of your model.

hexagon would be good to have alongside blender.....even with blender, you'll find many things are just easier to get done quickly in hexagon without having to sift through menus.

Post edited by useroperator on
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

I would never argue that Blender is easy to use. I will argue that it can do a lot more than Hex can (it's what I've used for my professional work since I started). If all you're wanting is character morphs, though, there's probably no reason to bother with its steep learning curve.

edited December 1969

thank you all for taking your time, and your Guidance.
    I'll be looking at time you tube stuff the next few days and all;
    but I am definitely leaning towards Hex at this point, TY again for your guidance. BB

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited December 1969

In all honesty, I've never met a 3D program that didn't make me tear out my hair when learning it at some point. However, the more I have learned about the programs I primarily use (Blender and Modo), the easier trying out other 3D programs has become. The more you understand the basics of good topology and how to model well, in general, the easier it can become to translate a tutorial, say, from 3ds max, Maya or other to the program you're using. And when you can do that, you problably have really begun to understand modeling.

The other aspect is what ends up appealing to you most. While Maya may end up feeling like the best program you've ever used, someone else will struggle with it for years. Only time will tell with most programs. You just have to try them, give them each some due diligence and time and see with which one you grok the most.

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,094
    edited December 1969

Blender is free. You will lose nothing but a little time by trying it out before you spend money on something else. :)

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

In all honesty, I've never met a 3D program that didn't make me tear out my hair when learning it at some point. However, the more I have learned about the programs I primarily use (Blender and Modo), the easier trying out other 3D programs has become. The more you understand the basics of good topology and how to model well, in general, the easier it can become to translate a tutorial, say, from 3ds max, Maya or other to the program you're using. And when you can do that, you problably have really begun to understand modeling.

The other aspect is what ends up appealing to you most. While Maya may end up feeling like the best program you've ever used, someone else will struggle with it for years. Only time will tell with most programs. You just have to try them, give them each some due diligence and time and see with which one you grok the most.

Cris has a good point! I also use Zbrush and 3d Coat in my workflows, and Zbrush is the hardest to use of any of them even with its extensive documentation. It's always a good idea to try some different ones and their tutorials. Most programs offer a free demo version. Silo is another one a lot of people find user-friendly. At some point, for me, it doesn't matter if it's hard for me to use, I have to do it if I want the features, and I'm going to put myself through it until it gets done. So it always matters what you need it for and how badly.

• Axe SwipeAxe Swipe Posts: 23
    edited December 1969

Try them out. What is intuitive for one person, is a nightmare for another. Peoples brains are wired differently and will take to different interfaces differently. Yes, for most people, (myself included) Blender has the most counter-intuitive interface ever created. But others pick it up quickly and swear by it. To know what is going to work for you, you'll just have to test each one out.

edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    If that type of modelling is all you are interested in, go with Hex - there are many, many free tutorials on the net for it. Morph type modelling is relatively simple and not very demanding of the software.

Blender is very advanced and certainly not for the casual modeler.

Thanks Roy,
    Thanks all, your input is much appreciated; as a Amateur artist time is a valuable resource to me, better to invest a lil money than to waste time; so I got Hex today, been test driving the interface. No modeling yet just zipping around a stripped down version of V4 no mods loaded; no skin; but if feels good so far. Very first impression of the App is pretty good. : )

Thanks all for your input. BB

• liamgibbinsliamgibbins Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

If your getting hex remember to save a lot because it crashes alot lol.

I bought this program and I find it a lot easier to use then blender but it crashes on everything..

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895
    edited March 2015

Take a look at the FREE version of Formz

Form Z now offers a free version....

http://www.formz.com/products/formzfree.html

Bonzai3D has been re-branded as Form Z Jr

And FormZ pro is the full version...

I have no experience with it but downloaded it on the weekend. It seems to be quite simple, especially if you used Sketchup...

As far as Blineder3D... I love the thought behind but it has one of the worst user interfaces I've ever encountered. Ever after it's redesign. It's not worth the headache.

Post edited by kenmo on
  • kenmokenmo Posts: 895
    edited December 1969

wwes said:
    Blender is free. You will lose nothing but a little time by trying it out before you spend money on something else. :)

I lost a lot of time and sleep trying to learn Blender. IMHO...it's not worth the effort. I'd rather learn Cinema4D or Lightwave3D and spend the bucks than waste my time on learning Blender....

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Looks exactly like Sketchup - hope it's .obj export is more useful :)