It's not easy being green (rendering weirdness)

VyrdolakVyrdolak Posts: 7

I've had this problem crop up randomly since I started out with DAZ 4.5 (now using 4.7), and I can't figure out what causes it or how to fix it. When I render a scene, one character in the scene will turn green. The most recent occurrence is attached. It seems to start appearing when I turn on deep shadow mapping for any light source. With this scene, I experimented with turning shadow mapping on and off for different lights, or making the lights invisible. All this did was, in one case, turn the green figure normal and the female figure green. In one render, the male figure's feet were normal but the rest of his skin was green. Now the male figure is green even if shadow mapping is off for all the lights.

Sometimes the spot render looks okay but when I do a full render, the figure's skin is green; sometimes the figure turns green in the spot render, too.

Does anyone know why this happens? Is there a way to fix it? I'm using the 3Delight render engine.

cop-final-smaller-C.png
1333 x 2000 - 2M

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,126
    edited December 1969

I'm afraid the only reliable fix is to avoid Deep Shadow Maps - use Ray Traced shadows instead.

• VyrdolakVyrdolak Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

Thanks! That works. I'm using Garibaldi for the hair and I was afraid it wouldn't work with ray-traced shadows, but it's fine (in fact, it looks much better, although the rendering takes a lot longer).