Help creating an accessory that masks out the polygons below it.

edited August 2012 in Daz Studio Discussion

This is what I want to do. I want to create an accessory for the Genesis figure that is a face placed over the Genesis face and it has many more polygons that can be sculpted into a more realistic face. I want the polygons beneath this accessory to become invisible when the accessory is "fitted to" Genesis. Where the accessory attaches to Genesis, the polygons will be identical but from that loop on it will greatly increase in resolution( polygon count). Of course I don't expect any Genesis facial morphs to work with it as it will have its own.

Is there a way to do this in Daz?

Disclaimer: This is for personal use, so lets not drift off into copyright infringement legalities and copying parts of meshes.

Ooops - sometimes one should read more before they ask. Geo-grafting is probably what I'm after.

Post edited by shawnlau_8905c7c970 on

Comments

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

DAZ Studio (and Genesis) support a functionality called "Geo-grafting" which handles this type of event. The addon must be modeled in a particular fashion, etc. Read up on Geo-grafting here: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/creating_content/assembling/tutorials/geo_grafting/start

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,817
    edited December 1969

lol! if you are successfull I am sure a lot of others would be interested in purchasing the result!

• edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    DAZ Studio (and Genesis) support a functionality called "Geo-grafting" which handles this type of event. The addon must be modeled in a particular fashion, etc. Read up on Geo-grafting here: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/creating_content/assembling/tutorials/geo_grafting/start

Yes, I found a tutorial on it in an archived thread. Unfortunately all the descriptive pictures are gone for the sake of our new pretty forum. Every time I think of off what they did for the sake of eye candy, I want to explode.

I think I can get through the steps without the pictures, but lord knows it would have been much easier WITH the pictures.

edited December 1969

stick the word archive in each picture's url and open in a new window

• edited December 1969

lol! if you are successfull I am sure a lot of others would be interested in purchasing the result!

Maybe I'm misguided, but it shouldn't be too difficult . If I can get the mechanics down of how to do a simple graft, I can do this.
    The problem with selling something like this is indicated in the thread I was reading. Its necessary to copy a small portion of the mesh of the figure the accessory will be grafted to.

• edited August 2012

stick the word archive in each picture's url and open in a new window

Thank you!

As an example, how would I have to edit this line to go to it as a url link or something I can paste into my browser bar?

Edit:
    I got it

""http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/postimages/origimage_1_3312351.jpg""

Post edited by shawnlau_8905c7c970 on
    edited December 1969

good because I could not do anything with that embed code on my android which btw will not even show half that document page!

• edited December 1969

Thanks for the help Wendy and Adam. This is exactly what I was looking for and will work out great for what I'm after. After I get something done, I'll look into the legalities of making it available publicly. You'd think Daz would look into creating such a product with their fantastic artists. You can only get so real - even with great texturing- with a limited number of polygons ( push and pull them all you want, the eyes, noses, cheeks etc. still look alike). And while it would probably be of no use in animation, a practical way to really upping the polygon count for still rendering would probably have broad appeal.