Correct a character's coordinates

tonytriolatonytriola Posts: 20
edited October 2021 in New Users

I've noticed on several occasions that I might load a character that, as expected, stands upright to begin with. However, after loading (several)  poses to the character and finally undoing the poses to get the figure back to zero, the character no longer stands upright, rather it 'leans' somewhat, usually in two directions (makes it difficult to move within a scene).

It's like the character's local coordinate system no longer corresponds to the scene's global coordinate system.

How does one correct the figure so it corresponds to x/y/z coords when zeroed as it did before loading pose presets (so when it 'stands', it's 90 degrees to x and z, y being 'up')?

Post edited by tonytriola on

Comments

• Edit>Figure>Zero>Zero Figure Pose should completely remove any posing applied.

• First check if it's parented to a group. Not all the zero options actually work very well, the one I find works all the time is from this asset The Executive Restroom Poses for Genesis 8 | Daz 3D

• Thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply, now I have a similar query along the same lines:

Most props come in aligned on the x or z axis, they align with the rotation gizmo.

But there are some (stock, PA authored and some from renderosity) that come in 'skewed', not aligned with either axis and this makes it a pretty tedious process to move them into position ( having to deal with elevation as well as direction in order to place them ).

That being the case, is there a way or a script that will correct objects that are authored to a local coordinate system that is not aligned to the default Daz-scene coordinate system (perhaps a matrix realignment and a save of the realigned figure)?

Just wondering...something along those lines would be helpful in those cases.

• charles_2239525charles_2239525 Posts: 775
    edited October 2021

Most likely those props were placed for a specific scene position and contain the worldspace as root location. There are couple of things, the first easiest is to just select the object and then make it a group which usually tries to fit to the center of the geometry. The other thing to do is to position it to 0 point and export it as an obj, and then drag the object back in. Once you brough it back in click on the originals surface tab, and highlight all the material parts (if multiple) CTRL+C top copy them to clipboard, then select all the materials to the new one brought in and CTRL+P to paste the materals. That's because OBJ's won't keep all the shader settings so you have to reapply them.

Post edited by charles_2239525 on
  • Thanks, Charles, I'll give that a try. Appreciate the tips, you're very clear with your instructions, wish more would be as detailed as you. 

Thanks again.