Getting In, Getting On Pose Sets

There are many poses and sometimes whole sets dedicated to showing characters standing or sitting, but far fewer depicting characters engaging in such transitional activities as:

- getting in and out of a chair

- getting in and out of bed

- getting in and out of cars

- getting up and down from other forms of transportation (such as the DAZ horse)

At best there are a few animations depicting some of these actions where we could pause and render the cycle at a specific time frame -- but, in reality, not a whole lot of them. Transition sets would be useful for keyframe animation, Puppeteer, and any other sequential artwork where it is necessary to show the character going from A to B to C. Right now we only have mostly A and C.

Comments

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,066
    edited October 2021

Yesss, you're right. I hadn't really thought about that. Do you have a number of steps in mind for the bed and chair movements? My feeling is 5 each way is a sensible number. However, the chair/bed geometry does make a huge difference. You don't flop down into a hard chair, and don't daintily and decorously alight on a folding steel chair. The squab height alters the arising difficulty enormously. Low squab, squidgy chairs require different rising methods from high stools. There are a good few high quality freebie chairs around to experiment with.

I couldn't really do the car poses, unless it's a 2CV. Or the Fiat 126, as those are the only car models I have. And I sort-of feel the best place for a horse is between a burger bap given how much land is degraded where I live just for horses. The land is overgrazed and exhausted just keeping them so they and their riders can walk about on the roads and hold up traffic for an hour once a week.

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • The best compromise might be custom pose sets for specific props and environments already available in the DAZ store.  Many PA's do that already -- the only difference here would be the inclusion of in-between poses as suggested above.  So a car pose set might be specifically designed for, say, Car Roland, horse poses for DAZ Horse 2, furniture poses for the Ironman13 environments, etc. 

There wouldn't need to be more than three poses total for any continuous action sequence -- example, one of a character opening a car door, the second of the character climbing into the car, and the third of the character seated inside between the wheel (or on the passenger side).   Creating more poses for any one sequence might be desirable but probably wouldn't be practical from a PA's perspective.