Genesis 9 Coming?

There's been a lot of sales lately, deep discounts on current products.

Does this mean Genesis 9 is coming out soon?

«13

Comments

  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,801

    No, that's just the regular "there's always another sale" ritual. There's no say when/if a new version will Genesis will be released, and considering they just started out with G8.1...

    It's possible that they'll do a new version once DAZ STudio 5 is released, depending on whatever extra features they built into it, or wha tno longer works from previous versions.

  • G9 will come after DS5 .

  • HavosHavos Posts: 4,641

    The RED Crown said:

    G9 will come after DS5 .

    Maybe, we don't know. It maybe that DAZ has decided to just keep tweaking 8 with improvements rather than make a more radical jump to a different base figure.

  • margravemargrave Posts: 1,429

    Unless it involves radical improvements to the IK/animation system, then any amount of work on Genesis 9 is misplaced effort.

  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 5,668

    I'm also of the belief that Genesis 9 won't come until after DS5 does ;)

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 17,314

    Maybe it won't even be "Genesis" anymore. Only Daz knows what and when.

  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 10,437

    Gothamite said:

    There's been a lot of sales lately, deep discounts on current products.

    Does this mean Genesis 9 is coming out soon?

    there are still some that haven't moved up to G8.1 yet. DAZ really needs to work on building it's DS user base before launching new generations IMO. I would bet there are a few that tend to stop and stick with one generation because of monetary issues and/or what they have built around a certain figure which is understandable, but not good for new release adoptability..

  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,223

    Gothamite said:

    There's been a lot of sales lately, deep discounts on current products.

    Does this mean Genesis 9 is coming out soon?

    There are sales everyday.

    Will there be another itteration of Genesis or something similar?

    Yes, regardless of whatever it's called.

    ... Are the two linked?

    There is no evidence to suggest they are; personally, I think it unlikely.

  • I think it's 'Yes, But Not Yet'. The reason is just how recent G8.1 is. It's not really enough time yet to recoup the investment. And.. the Big Sur work on DS4. And.. the announcement that DS5 is coming 'soon'. These have, and will, absorb a huge programming effort, taking effort away from the creation of G9 and any coding framework needed specifically for G9's improvements over G8. So, yes, but not yet.
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 36,667

    ...even though I am working with  4.15 (general release which so far has been pretty stable compared to reports I've read about bugs), I have no interest in G8.1.for a couple reasons pointed out above such as budget and having already spent a good deal of time developing custom designed characters using a specific Genesis generation.

  • I'm afraid that G9 requirement TPM 2.0 .laugh

  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 2,984

    The RED Crown said:

    I'm afraid that G9 requirement TPM 2.0 .laugh

    You just wait for Vicky X, and you know what it means to be AFRAID wink 

  • AbyssalErosAbyssalEros Posts: 266

    The RED Crown said:

    I'm afraid that G9 requirement TPM 2.0 .laugh

    No, you need to buy some form of NFT, as your assets will be encrypted in the blockchain.

  • LeanaLeana Posts: 9,025

    Gothamite said:

    There's been a lot of sales lately, deep discounts on current products.

    That's usual during big sales like PA festival and PC Anniversary sale.

  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 36,667

    ...given that G8 has been around for over 4 years it is not surprising to see the figure, along with characters and various other content for it being predominantly featured in sales today.  Like Gen4,(primarily Vicky) , there is a tonne of content that has been released for G8 over the years compared to other Genesis generations which had only about a 2 year "shelf life" before the next version was released.

  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 16,931

    I doubt hard that genesis 9 is ready to drop. We just got 8.1.   My crystal ball says no.

  • marblemarble Posts: 5,868

    Serene Night said:

    I doubt hard that genesis 9 is ready to drop. We just got 8.1.   My crystal ball says no.

    I think there are a significant number who, like me, don't want to see G9 (or, more likely some other generational name such as [just for fun] Evo One or Verity X ). I'm happy to keep collecting the discount bargains while G8 lasts (and for some time into the next generation too). Replacing yet another iteration of content has my bank card curling up in fright.

  • Serene Night said:

    I doubt hard that genesis 9 is ready to drop. We just got 8.1.   My crystal ball says no.

     Drop after DS5 my magic lamp Aladdin said that .

  • Well, I'd love to have a Genesis 9 if only to restart a figure library because my Genesis 8 library is so bloated, I hate installing new figures and morphs on top of what I already have.

    I guess I'm in the minority on this one. (The Plague Years have not been so bad for me and my bank account, LOL.)

    For the n00bz out there, I still use Genesis 3... and occasionally find use for Genesis 2. If you (a n00b) buy Genesis 8 now, I'd guess you would still use it if a Genesis 9 came out tomorrow. So that's never really a problem, IMO. Collect the figures that catch your eye because that's the most important thing. (And if there's a new shiny thing, then collect that also.)

  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 5,668

    The Blurst of Times said:

    Well, I'd love to have a Genesis 9 if only to restart a figure library because my Genesis 8 library is so bloated, I hate installing new figures and morphs on top of what I already have.

    I guess I'm in the minority on this one. (The Plague Years have not been so bad for me and my bank account, LOL.)

    For the n00bz out there, I still use Genesis 3... and occasionally find use for Genesis 2. If you (a n00b) buy Genesis 8 now, I'd guess you would still use it if a Genesis 9 came out tomorrow. So that's never really a problem, IMO. Collect the figures that catch your eye because that's the most important thing. (And if there's a new shiny thing, then collect that also.)

    I still use the entire Genesis line. I have some Genesis monsters I still really like, as well as David 5 of course ;) 

  • DripDrip Posts: 941

    margrave said:

    Unless it involves radical improvements to the IK/animation system, then any amount of work on Genesis 9 is misplaced effort.

    Improvements to the IK system could be nice for posing. Soft body physics would be even nicer to have. Don't care much about animations, there's other software much more suitable for that.

    Any one of those, I wouldn't expect before Studio 5, as they would all require a bit of an overhaul of the core code that makes Daz Studio. They could all theoretically be applied to an expanded variation of Genesis 8, so Genesis 8.2 instead of Genesis 9 is still a possibility. I just hope a Genesis 8.2 figure would have better backward compatibility to Genesis 8.1 and Genesis 8 than Genesis 8.1 had to Genesis 8. But some core code within Daz Studio might be the cause of this bad backward compatibility as well.

     

  • KCMustangKCMustang Posts: 33

    I like Genesis 3 because of the loading times and if I need them to be Genesis 8 I can just convert them. I did a basic render with all my Gen 3 models and then stalled doing the same with Gen 8 because of the loading times, even with the latest gen SSD and ooodles of RAM.

    I'm worried Genesis 9 will be 'hit load on the figure & then go cook a lamb roast while you're waiting'.

  • fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,395

    That may well be the case Mustang if the recent trend in technology is anything to go by. The predicted wattage requirement for the next series of Nivida cards (if true) will have a noticeable impact of your power bills if your going to render for hours (or days if you're animating) on your rig.... like leaving your toaster on while you go away for the weekend. Electricity isn't exactly cheap where I live.

  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,057

    With DAZ's development team up to their necks in DS5 and the pandemic to slow things down even further, I'd be very surprised if they even thought about G9 before June next year.

    Cheers,

    Alex.

  • HavosHavos Posts: 4,641

    alexhcowley said:

    With DAZ's development team up to their necks in DS5 and the pandemic to slow things down even further, I'd be very surprised if they even thought about G9 before June next year.

    Cheers,

    Alex.

    Bear in mind the people working on DS 5 are predominantly developers, whilst those working on new figures are artists/modellers/texturers etc, so it is unlikely the same group would work on both in any case. As such the continuing development of DS is unlikely to have any significant impact on any new figures.

  • LeanaLeana Posts: 9,025

    Havos said:

    the continuing development of DS is unlikely to have any significant impact on any new figures.

    Unless the new figure requires new features in DS.

  • Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,356
    edited October 12

    It's like Victoria 4.2 the next is Genesis 8.2, the Genesis series end.

    Nexus series will begin.

    Post edited by Noah LGP on
  • Drip said:

    margrave said:

    Unless it involves radical improvements to the IK/animation system, then any amount of work on Genesis 9 is misplaced effort.

    Improvements to the IK system could be nice for posing. Soft body physics would be even nicer to have. Don't care much about animations, there's other software much more suitable for that.

    Any one of those, I wouldn't expect before Studio 5, as they would all require a bit of an overhaul of the core code that makes Daz Studio. They could all theoretically be applied to an expanded variation of Genesis 8, so Genesis 8.2 instead of Genesis 9 is still a possibility. I just hope a Genesis 8.2 figure would have better backward compatibility to Genesis 8.1 and Genesis 8 than Genesis 8.1 had to Genesis 8. But some core code within Daz Studio might be the cause of this bad backward compatibility as well.

    What bad backward conmpatibility? The main issues are scripts which were hard coded to refer to a specific figure and some things like GeoShell-based that were bound to surface names (and even then I think the main issue was when they were script based). Most content for 8 works on the matching 8.1. Or are you wanting to have 8.1/2 content work directly on 8/8.1? In any event, the whole thing is a guess - dForce was added without needing an update, and even if soft-body is the next target it might well be possible to add it to existing figures (for example, this is often requested in pursuit of breast bounce and a simple fitted or parented rib-cage proxy might handle the additional data needed).

  • DripDrip Posts: 941

    Richard Haseltine said:

    Drip said:

    margrave said:

    Unless it involves radical improvements to the IK/animation system, then any amount of work on Genesis 9 is misplaced effort.

    Improvements to the IK system could be nice for posing. Soft body physics would be even nicer to have. Don't care much about animations, there's other software much more suitable for that.

    Any one of those, I wouldn't expect before Studio 5, as they would all require a bit of an overhaul of the core code that makes Daz Studio. They could all theoretically be applied to an expanded variation of Genesis 8, so Genesis 8.2 instead of Genesis 9 is still a possibility. I just hope a Genesis 8.2 figure would have better backward compatibility to Genesis 8.1 and Genesis 8 than Genesis 8.1 had to Genesis 8. But some core code within Daz Studio might be the cause of this bad backward compatibility as well.

    What bad backward conmpatibility? The main issues are scripts which were hard coded to refer to a specific figure and some things like GeoShell-based that were bound to surface names (and even then I think the main issue was when they were script based). Most content for 8 works on the matching 8.1. Or are you wanting to have 8.1/2 content work directly on 8/8.1? In any event, the whole thing is a guess - dForce was added without needing an update, and even if soft-body is the next target it might well be possible to add it to existing figures (for example, this is often requested in pursuit of breast bounce and a simple fitted or parented rib-cage proxy might handle the additional data needed).

    Several outfits (and I'm not talking about grafts or geometry shells) designed for Genesis 8.1 have small problems when used on Genesis 8. They're relatively small problems, and can be circumvented, but these problems shouldn't have been there in the first place. Simple things like: fitting some hairs and outfits defined for 8.1, as well as changing their textures. Morphs and micropressure morphs for Genesis 8.1 don't always work out-of-the-box for Genesis 8 either. If that just applied to things in the face area, which was the primary change for 8.1, I'd understand. But outside that area, the rigging and UV didn't change, and unless a designer includes definitions for both 8 and 8.1 (which basically makes the 8.1 definitions redundant), there are hiccups.

    G8.1 definitions should simply only be limited to G8.1 if it affects those areas that are different from G8. Otherwise, these definitions should blindly apply to G8. That is proper backward compatibility.

  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,223

    The RED Crown said:

    Serene Night said:

    I doubt hard that genesis 9 is ready to drop. We just got 8.1.   My crystal ball says no.

     Drop after DS5 my magic lamp Aladdin said that .

    Once DS5 has completely rolled out, yeh... I could see another character appearing to take advantage of any new features that 5 allows, or just because of the marketting opportunity!

Sign In or Register to comment.