Poser Pro and Daz Studio Interchangeability...

cute.harpiecute.harpie Posts: 1
edited February 2015 in Poser Discussion

Hi guys,

First off a little background. I am a beginner when it comes to 3D in general, but I am a quick study and don't usually stay at the beginner level for long. I could already do basic modeling and texturing in 3ds max.

Essentially I want to know if Poser Pro 2014 and Daz Studio 4.7 scenes are interchangeable.

I use these programs on my laptop, it's no entry level laptop either. 4th Gen Intel Core i7/8GB RAM/1TB HD/ Win8.1/2GB Graphics Memory. I can play lots of high-end games at max settings without lag (when not running through battery only).

I have Poser Pro's latest version and the latest updates. From the moment I set it up I'm getting huge performance lags with Poser Pro while Daz Studio works without any issues as far as I could tell. I'm not talking about graphic lags, the performance of the application itself, overall it is sluggish - starting with the library. The Library is not the issue alone, I have it set to load factory states and it's embedded. I even have the latest flash updates. I have tried reinstall as well. The software is just so sluggish. Also, all the stuff I have are Genesis Starter Essentials and Genesis 2 Male/Female Essentials - nothing else.

If anyone has suggestion to improve Poser Pro's performance, I'm all ears. I done most of the stuff suggested in the forums.

I really hope to do art as well as animations long-term. For just 3D art I feel Daz Studio will serve me well enough. However, I plan to do animations eventually and not having the following features in Daz Studio is a let down. I require...

1. Dynamic Hair, it has to work with all hair not just daz "hair" rigged to be dynamic by vendors. I want to possibly put in a custom hair, like MMD hairs.
2. Dynamic clothing, I want any clothing to be dynamic... even the ones I may eventually design in Marvelous Designer.
3. Physics, by this I mean Bullet & Soft-Body physics. It would be wonderful to have these as I want to utilize time to animate a scene and tell a story than constantly be distracted trying to make it look natural.

So here is the compromise I come to... I setup the figures, the scene, and animate them in Daz Studio. Then I make changes and render it in Poser Pro taking advantage of it's physics engine and support for particles if necessary. I want the clothes and hair to move naturally and not have to worry about it.

So this is it, if I have the figures and stuff on both poser and daz studio, are the scenes with the morphed actors, animations, and props interchangeable between the two applications?

Post edited by cute.harpie on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

Try unembedding the library, see if that helps. Also, try turning off SubD until you are ready to render (Scripts>DSON Support).

You might also try using the supplied Poser content - there's quite a bit of it, of various ages and quality - to see how that performs.

Games aren't a terribly useful yardstick as they mainly use DirectX rather than OpenGL for their 3D drawing, the driver performance for one card can differ between the two systems.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,771
    edited February 2015

To speed up the library, click on the knurlled looking thing at the bottom of the Library pane and make sure Reopen Folders is unchecked.

If you are using Genesis or Genesis 2 figures in Poser, they will not be as fast as in Studio because they are not native Poser figures. Lowering the subdivion level during posing will speed things up a bit; there is a script included with the DSON Importer that will allow this.

You can also export the figure from Studio as a cr2, which converts it to a native Poser figure. However, you lose some of the features, such as UV switching and morph transfer to clothing (although the latter can easily be done manually in PP2014) and it contains all of the installed morphs, so it can be a heavy figure. One can also convert a saved fugure from Poser. JoePublic wrote up some procedures; if you go to the Poser Forum at Renderosity and try searching on "hacking Genesis" or "hacking Victoria" you should find them. There is one for Genesis 1 and one for Genesis 2, IIRC...

Post edited by WandW on
  • cute.harpiecute.harpie Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys, I'll try some of the suggestions I haven't tried.

ssgbryan, I see. Could you point me to a guide that details how to convert Daz native content to Poser content? Thanks!

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys, I'll try some of the suggestions I haven't tried.

ssgbryan, I see. Could you point me to a guide that details how to convert Daz native content to Poser content? Thanks!

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/saving_importing_and_exporting/tutorials/triax_figure_to_poser/start

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/saving_importing_and_exporting/tutorials/triax_clothing_to_poser/start