3D Printing - finally!

entiresiaentiresia Posts: 9
edited December 1969 in The Commons

As a DIY 3D printing enthusiast, I have been waiting for this day for years. Finally, we are allowed to use virtual 3D models to create real 3D models.
A quick word of warning though. It's not going to be easy. There's a lot to learn and an awful lot of print failures to be expected before the really neat stuff starts to emerge.
I'm not talking about the expensive, high-end, colour printers that were used to print the models that DAZ is promoting now. I'm talking about how to use your cheap, DIY 3D printer to make some interesting art without spending a fortune. My prints generally cost in the £1 - £3 range for a 10 - 20 cm sized model. Prints are made of tough plastic and can be smoothed to a gloss surface or painted with ordinary model paints.
I have been doing the hard work for you, documenting the other freely available software tools you will need and some of the tips, tricks and techniques that will help 3D printer owners to begin 3D printing their own models. My blog (just Google my name) is not really suitable for work or for children because it draws inspiration from artistic nude photos and reinterprets the pictures as sculptures. In the privacy of your own studio though, I hope you will find useful information to help speed up the process of getting some great prints, and really look forward to the help and advice that DAZ 3D can bring to the table, now that we are no longer restricted to printing only non-DAZ models.
The attached picture (which contains no skin tones at all) is a photo of a statuette I made on my home-made 3D printer using Dawn SR2 from HiveWire before the recent DAZ 3D announcement.

image.jpg
960 x 640 - 119K