New PC, how do you transfer catagories?

AaronHAaronH Posts: 79

So i've built a new PC, downloaded DAZ, installed it, setup the new storage locations on the drive and in DIM and re-downloaded and installed everything. The storage locations are different than the old PC.

I've exported my user data from the old PC and copied the Database files over (yes i stopped it first) and i've re-imported metadata but i'm not seeing my created categories.

Am i missing a simple step, did i go a few steps to many, or did i just go in the wrong direction completely? I've searched the boards and googled and i'm coming up blank. There's got to be a better way to transfer them.

Thank you in advance

Aaron.

Comments

• GarrettDRGarrettDR Posts: 229
    edited January 2015

I had a thought but, It wasnt the right one...Good Luck!

Post edited by GarrettDR on
  • edited December 1969

I think my problem is similar. I installed my content to the wrong directory (C:\Public\MyDocuments instead of C:\My Documents), so I moved the public My DAZ 3D Library to the local My DAZ 3D Library. I just took the folder and merged it. Now, half my content is in the Categories container, and the other half is under the DAZ Studio Formats container.

I know I can categorize all my content within DAZ Studio, but that would take forever. I know almost all of the content that isn't sorted in the Categories container is content type compatible, so I'm wondering what happened to prevent DAZ from referencing the content type data.

Sorry if this problem is not related, but I didn't want to create a new topic when this one seemed pretty similar.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Did you copy the UserData... files from Runtime:Support on the old system? That's where the user data you export is stored.

edited December 1969

I think my problem is similar. I installed my content to the wrong directory (C:\Public\MyDocuments instead of C:\My Documents), so I moved the public My DAZ 3D Library to the local My DAZ 3D Library. I just took the folder and merged it. Now, half my content is in the Categories container, and the other half is under the DAZ Studio Formats container.

I know I can categorize all my content within DAZ Studio, but that would take forever. I know almost all of the content that isn't sorted in the Categories container is content type compatible, so I'm wondering what happened to prevent DAZ from referencing the content type data.

Sorry if this problem is not related, but I didn't want to create a new topic when this one seemed pretty similar.

You mean content that has metadata isn't showing it after re-importing metadata?

• AaronHAaronH Posts: 79
    edited January 2015

Did you copy the UserData... files from Runtime:Support on the old system? That's where the user data you export is stored.

yup put it in the runtime support folder, and made sure to select the option in the re-import.

the install locations for everything is completely different, from folder structure to even drive letter, should i have tried to mirror the original layout?

Post edited by AaronH on
  • edited December 1969

You mean content that has metadata isn't showing it after re-importing metadata?

Yeah, I moved my content from the original install directory. I understand that screws up the metadata. I placed the metadata from the old install directory into the runtime\support folder, and then re-imported the metadata and it didn't work. I see that the associated .dsa files are not there though.

Are the .dsa files necessary for DAZ to categorize the content by content type, and if so, where would my .dsa files be stored so I can move them to the runtime\support folder?

edited December 1969

myjunk said:

yup put it in the runtime support folder, and made sure to select the option in the re-import.

the install locations for everything is completely different, from folder structure to even drive letter, should i have tried to mirror the original layout?

Do you mean just your content folder is in a new location, or have you rearranged things inside the content folder? User data only has relative paths, so it doesn't matter if the content folder location has changed, but if you rearranged things inside the content folder then your user data will have the wrong relative path and won't be imported.

edited December 1969

Yeah, I moved my content from the original install directory. I understand that screws up the metadata. I placed the metadata from the old install directory into the runtime\support folder, and then re-imported the metadata and it didn't work. I see that the associated .dsa files are not there though.

Are the .dsa files necessary for DAZ to categorize the content by content type, and if so, where would my .dsa files be stored so I can move them to the runtime\support folder?

The .dsa files should be in the support folder along with the .dsx and .jpg for each item. I'm not sure if they're necessary for re-importing metadata inside DS -- if so you may be able to re-import metadata in DAZ Install Manager.

Just to be clear -- did you move the content to a new content location but with the same path underneath that content location, or did you move things inside the content folder. The .dsx files in the Runtime:Support folder have relative paths, so they aren't fixed to the specific content folder location, but the paths underneath that content folder need to stay the same.

• edited December 1969

The .dsa files should be in the support folder along with the .dsx and .jpg for each item. I'm not sure if they're necessary for re-importing metadata inside DS -- if so you may be able to re-import metadata in DAZ Install Manager.

Just to be clear -- did you move the content to a new content location but with the same path underneath that content location, or did you move things inside the content folder. The .dsx files in the Runtime:Support folder have relative paths, so they aren't fixed to the specific content folder location, but the paths underneath that content folder need to stay the same.

Yeah, I guess they are there. What threw me off was that there were .dsx files in my old DIM directory ( I moved that too), so I copied those and put them in my runtime\support folder. It still didn't help.

All I did was take the My DAZ 3D Library folder (the recommended install path) and I placed it in a new location. However, there was already a My DAZ 3D Library folder that was created there, so I ended up copying over whatever files were there already.

I had DIM install my content to My Documents when I got my new computer. I forgot about this when I installed my most recent content, so I accidentally installed the new content in Public Documents where it installs content by default. I moved the Public My DAZ 3D Library and merged it with the My DAZ 3D Library that I installed my content to when I first got my new computer. I'm sorry if this is confusing.

I tried re-importing the metadata in both DIM and DAZ. It's all listed there in the Import Metadata products list, but after it re-imports nothing has changed.

edited December 1969

The .dsx files from the DIM downloads and ManifestFiles are not the same as the metadata .dsx files (or each other, for that matter). The metadata .dsx files all start with DAZ, while the DIM .dsx files start with IM.

• edited December 1969

The .dsx files from the DIM downloads and ManifestFiles are not the same as the metadata .dsx files (or each other, for that matter). The metadata .dsx files all start with DAZ, while the DIM .dsx files start with IM.

Oh, I see that now. They're all there in the Runtime\Support folder though. For example, I'm trying to get Gianni 6 to show up in my Categories container. The Gianni 6 DAZ_3D .dsx is in the support folder, and so is the .dsa. When I re-import the metadata in DAZ, nothing changes.

edited December 1969

Is the new content folder location mapped in DS Content Directory Manager as both "DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats"?

edited December 1969

myjunk said:

Do you mean just your content folder is in a new location, or have you rearranged things inside the content folder? User data only has relative paths, so it doesn't matter if the content folder location has changed, but if you rearranged things inside the content folder then your user data will have the wrong relative path and won't be imported.

new location for the content folder did not rearrange anything inside them. Set up the fodler name and pointed the install to it, and let the DIM install them there. I copied my userdata file to the support folder. made sure both poser and daz were pointing to the content folder, closed DAZ, and opened it up then did the re-import.

Should i have copied the files from the old PC to the new PC maybe?

• edited December 1969

Is the new content folder location mapped in DS Content Directory Manager as both "DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats"?

Yeah, both poser and daz formats are pointing to C:\Users\Chris\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library. All my DAZ stuff is actually organized under my Poser Formats container too, even though it's all DAZ. It also appears under the Unassigned category as well. It's everywhere but in my Categories container.

new location for the content folder did not rearrange anything inside them. Set up the fodler name and pointed the install to it, and let the DIM install them there. I copied my userdata file to the support folder. made sure both poser and daz were pointing to the content folder, closed DAZ, and opened it up then did the re-import.

Should i have copied the files from the old PC to the new PC maybe?

I don't know. I think that's basically what I did to run into the problems I'm having. Your metadata will get screwed up.

edited December 1969

Are you using the old Valentina CMS, or the new PostgreSQL CMS?

• edited December 1969

PostgreSQL.

edited December 1969

PostgreSQL.

Okay, I assume you haven't done any new categorizing since you exported user data? Try resetting the database and re-importing metadata again.

edited December 1969

Both PCs appear to be PostgreSQL.

For the resetting the database and re-importing metadata again. Do i need to do that on the new PC or the old PC? If i do it on the old PC will i lose the categories?

edited December 1969

myjunk said:

Both PCs appear to be PostgreSQL.

For the resetting the database and re-importing metadata again. Do i need to do that on the new PC or the old PC? If i do it on the old PC will i lose the categories?

On the new PC -- if the old one is still correct, leave it in case you need to Export User Data again.

edited December 1969

That did it Mike, Thanks a lot.

I'm bookmarking this thread for when i get the kid's new PC up and running. This needs to be a sticky someplace, i'm sure i'm not the only one who's beat their head on the wall only to just start over.

• edited December 1969

Okay, I assume you haven't done any new categorizing since you exported user data? Try resetting the database and re-importing metadata again.

I actually spent all morning sorting my categories manually. Uh oh. I thought about resetting the database, but I thought it might purge all my content.

I'd still like all my smart content to work properly, though. So, if we're talking about making a backup of user data, would that mean just making a copy of the runtime\support folder, just in case it doesn't work? What is the easiest way to make a backup of my containers before I reset the database?

edited December 1969

Make sure you back up the UserData...dsx files you already have, then you can export user data to save the categorizing you've just done. After resetting the database, re-import metadata using one set of userdata files, then switch them with the other set and re-import again.

• edited December 1969

Make sure you back up the UserData...dsx files you already have, then you can export user data to save the categorizing you've just done. After resetting the database, re-import metadata using one set of userdata files, then switch them with the other set and re-import again.

Okay, issue remedied. I would like to thank you for the help that you have provided. You were very informative and your advice was spot-on.

Thanks!

• SundriesSundries Posts: 12
    edited December 1969

Try resetting the database and re-importing metadata again.

I just had to copy a bunch of my data from my laptop to my desktop, and this worked for me for fixing my content library. Thanks, Mike!

(For anyone who doesn't know, both of these options are available in Content DB Maintenance dialog, which is in the little drop down menu in your content pane.)