Warrior (aka Roy Batty from "Blade Runner") for G8.1M. Head morph only.

AOBBAOBB Posts: 957
edited September 2021 in Freebies

EDIT: The Soldier for G8.1M is a failed attempt at creating the likeness of Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer) from "Blade Runner". Scroll down the thread to find the much improved version of the likeness of Roy Batty, the Warrior. Noncommercial use only. No textures included.

Original post:

I'm very tired - I have worked the whole night to prepare for you this head morph file, so I'll keep it short but sweet.

I hope you'll enjoy my work. Please remember that this head morph is for noncommercial use only. No textures included. If something isn't working, please let me know and I'll fix it.

I have used in the renderings the following products:

Genesis 8.1 Male

Mi Tactical Outfit for G8 and G8.1 Males

Vlad Hair for G8M and Vlad figure

Bold Brows Fibermesh for G8M (Groomed02 option).

You will find the head morphs of the characters of Deckard (PI for G8.1M) and Rachael (Lady Noir for G8.1F) here:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/515556/pi-for-g8-1m-inspired-by-blade-runner-s-deckard-character-head-morph-only#latest

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/496856/lady-noir-for-g8-1f-blade-runner-s-rachael-head-morph-rockabilly-noir-hairdo#latest

I don't have plans for the near future to make any more head morphs but who knows...

Please be so kind and post your work including the Soldier head morph in this thread for me and everyone else to enjoy. Thanks.

Have fun!

AOBB

Soldier-Front.png
507 x 647 - 1M
Soldier-ThreeQuarters.png
447 x 566 - 992K
Soldier-Profile.png
504 x 581 - 1M
zip
zip
Soldier for G8.1M.zip
Post edited by AOBB on

Comments

• Thank you again :-)

• Priss would be nice, but take your time...

• AOBBAOBB Posts: 957

Thanks for the "Thank You", Catherine! :)

@bnstone_17c4c6d3f8 Yes, if I were to make another head sculpt it would be of Pris. 

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,013
    edited September 2021

My only issue with G8.1 is I have to down the subD's or D/S crashes [laptop limitations] so ... this is what it could render. Trying out a new skin MR.

thank you.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
    edited September 2021

Wow, he doesn't look very much like Rutger in that rendering, Catherine. Hmm, I might have to take another look at the model. This is my reference sheet I used for likeness (see attachment):

Rutger reference.jpg
    3600 x 5700 - 6M
    Post edited by AOBB on
  • Before posting it, I actually went back and made sure that I applied the preset, and yes I had. I know the eyes are off color-wise and I gave him a little stubble.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

OK, when I look at this model you did, which is good, don't get me wrong, and at the pictures you post of Rutger Hauer, well until you posted the pictures of Rutger Hauer I wouldn't have know it was him.

This model you made is a smooth look that you often see in the DAZ people products is in your model but the pictures of Rutger shows the area of his undereye / cheekbone area that actually looks quite different; more rawboned I guess is the term used for that. It's a very common look of Rutger's eyes that you see in the people of the Netherlands, northern Germany, and so on, a sort of tired look to them (not really, but that's the way their eye area geometry is) but your model is not reflecting that. Maybe it's the lighting that you used to make you model's renders?  

@nonesuch00 Yes, I know what you are talking about. I tried to get that look (the massive bones around the eyes and bags under them) but there just isn't enough resolution in the geometry to get this right (I don't have the HD license so I can't sculpt a lot of detail into the model). I'll try to address that some more but don't hold your hopes high... :(

I didn't use any lighting in the renders except for the one that comes with the scene. It definitely washes out detail because it is aligned with the viewport and casts light onto the model "head on".

The bottomline is - back to the drawing board. At 3 am the model looked good to me but I guess I was wrong. More work ahead. Stay tuned for Soldier v1.1! I'm not promising he'll be perfect but at least somewhat better.

AOBB

edited September 2021

mic685_ddf880de57 said:

@nonesuch00 Yes, I know what you are talking about. I tried to get that look (the massive bones around the eyes and bags under them) but there just isn't enough resolution in the geometry to get this right (I don't have the HD license so I can't sculpt a lot of detail into the model). I'll try to address that some more but don't hold your hopes high... :(

I didn't use any lighting in the renders except for the one that comes with the scene. It definitely washes out detail because it is aligned with the viewport and casts light onto the model "head on".

The bottomline is - back to the drawing board. At 3 am the model looked good to me but I guess I was wrong. More work ahead. Stay tuned for Soldier v1.1! I'm not promising he'll be perfect but at least somewhat better.

AOBB

OK, I'm glad I explained good enough for you to know. I think the bones involved are called orbitals and maxillae. I've had reconstructive surgery once on one side of them so I sort of remember what the surgeon called those.

I look forward to see what you can do with such limited geometry.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

@nonesuch00 - Thank you for your help. I really appreciate your constructive criticism and input. I also like your username - very Zen. I'm really sorry you had such a serious injury and had to go through surgery... 

AOBB

• If you can't get the look you want with what's available in Daz, wny not bring him into a modeler, such as Blender, BforArtist, Sculptris and Hexagon, which are all free and then there's ZBrush, which is not free.  So long as you are not adding or taking away from the geometry and only pushing and pulling to get the morph you want, just bring it back to make a morph asset. You might be able to get that look for the eyes that way.

edited September 2021

mic685_ddf880de57 said:

@nonesuch00 - Thank you for your help. I really appreciate your constructive criticism and input. I also like your username - very Zen. I'm really sorry you had such a serious injury and had to go through surgery... 

AOBB

I think you can do the changes needed to the orbitals and maxillae with displacement or normal maps if you look at some characters in DAZ 3D Store many of them have such maps.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

Hi,

Thank you for your input, guys.

I am using Zbrush (I got myself a subscription for it). Yes, a normal map would increase the level of realism and accuracy of resemblance. I decided not to do any textures, because my heart isn't in it and they don't turn out very well anyway. I prefer sculpting. I'm no Michelangelo either but I try to do my best.

That is why I am posting the images of the Soldier model as it is now - I am asking you for some constructive criticism again to make the model better. I addressed the "tired eyes" issue as much as I could but I still think this freebie-in-the-making could use some fixing. That is where your fresh-eyed opinion comes in. What needs to change to make him look more like Rutger Hauer? 

Apart from the issue of my talent (or lack thereof) I believe there are two fundamental problems that prevent me from getting a good likeness - low mesh resolution and the smoothing of the mesh. This is why at the beginning I worked only with the legacy characters V4 and M4 - they had definitely higher base resolution and I could put in more detail into the mesh. For the reasons I've mentioned I think that without an HD license one can only make young and pretty smooth faces. Anything with more "character" won't work. I think the Soldier is actually more like Rutger in "Turkish Delight" (1973) than "Blade Runner" (1982) because of that.

What do you think? I have attached again my Rutger reference sheet for comparison.

Thank you in advance for your help! smiley

AOBB

SoldierBetaFcrp.png
    498 x 605 - 1M
    SoldierBetaTQcrp.png
    513 x 626 - 1M
    SoldierBetaScrp.png
    549 x 629 - 1M
    Rutger reference.jpg
    3600 x 5700 - 6M
  • mic685_ddf880de57 said:

Hi,

I am using Zbrush (I got myself a subscription for it). Yes, a normal map would increase the level of realism and accuracy of resemblance. I decided not to do any textures, because my heart isn't in it and they don't turn out very well anyway. I prefer sculpting. I'm no Michelangelo either but I try to do my best.

That is why I am posting the images of the Soldier model as it is now - I am asking you for some constructive criticism again to make the model better. I addressed the "tired eyes" issue as much as I could but I still think this freebie-in-the-making could use some fixing. That is where your fresh-eyed opinion comes in. What needs to change to make him look more like Rutger Hauer? 

Apart from the issue of my talent (or lack thereof) I believe there are two fundamental problems that prevent me from getting a good likeness - low mesh resolution and the smoothing of the mesh. This is why at the beginning I worked only with the legacy characters V4 and M4 - they had definitely higher base resolution and I could put in more detail into the mesh. For the reasons I've mentioned I think that without an HD license one can only make young and pretty smooth faces. Anything with more "character" won't work. I think the Soldier is actually more like Rutger in "Turkish Delight" (1973) than "Blade Runner" (1982) because of that.

What do you think? I have attached again my Rutger reference sheet for comparison.

AOBB

I'm definitely seeing more of Rutger in these latter ones, whichever decade you represent him in. Nice!

mic685_ddf880de57 said:

Hi,

These are much better. I think the biggest thing holding it back from looking like Rutger you've already addressed you don't want to address (texture) or can't address (base mesh resolution): textures & base mess resolution.

...but I think increasing the puffiness of the lower eyelids (but not below the actual lower eyelids), and the part of the brow ridge that is over the upper eyelid needs to be a bit more puffy/droopy (not sure exactly which - a little of both I guess) and changing the texture to be somewhat less tan and more ruddy will be about close as you can get.

AOBB

edited September 2021

@Catherine - thank you for drawing my attention to the shortcomings of the Soldier model. That was a rude awakening but necessary.

@Eustace Scrubb - thank you for the kind words about my work. It was such a relief to hear that I have managed to improve upon the original Soldier model.

@Faeryl Womyn - thank you for your advice!

@nonesuch00 - your input proved priceless and I appreciate it accordingly. I tried to implement your new advice as much as I could.

Here is the (hopefully) end result of my work on the Warrior - the new take on the Roy Batty character (the head morph is in the attached zip file):

G8.1M

The T-shirt from Mi tactical outfit for G8 and G8.1 Males

Togatta Hair (actually two of them to give the hair more fullness)

Bold Brows Fibermesh for G8M (Groomed02)

As usual this is only the head morph without any textures included. Noncommercial use only.

If something isn't working, please let me know. 

Changes to the basic textures you will see in the renderings: I tried to give the Warrior the ruddy skin but he still looks like he has a tan. Oh well, I tried... I also lightened and desaturated the irises of the blue-eye texture for the basic G8.1M model. I think this really enhanced the Warrior's look, so I would advise you to do the same. I would also suggest that you work on the Warrior's eyelashes so they aren't so feminine as they are straight "out of the box".

If you feel like commenting, please do. I love hearing from you!

Enjoy!

AOBB

WarriorFCrp.png
    480 x 692 - 1M
    WarriorTQCrp.png
    433 x 677 - 1M
    WarriorPCrp.png
    558 x 693 - 1M
    zip
    zip
    Warrior for G8.1M.zip
    8M
    Post edited by AOBB on
  • Thank you for the update, I'll give it a whirl later on.

I don't know quite what to say, it was not my intention to make evident any short-comings. I liked the morph and my thank you for it was genuine.

That's okay, Catherine. It doesn't matter. I understand you were being honest. It's just that I had a knee-jerk reaction to the image you posted and I'm glad you DID post it, because it made me aware of how much fixing the model needs. So - thank you! smiley

AOBB

• Noticed this hair in the store, it may be something for The Warrior ...

https://www.daz3d.com/wilson-hair-for-genesis-8-males

Looks good indeed. I like the head model too!

• Yeah, sadly they seldom have the character and the hair in the same package. It's not quite as wild as I'd like, esp. around the sides, but it's the closest I've found so far. So it's in the wishlist ... I pile things into that folder in anticipation for October's sales :-)

At least they could have written what models they've used in the promo photos... Thanks for posting the link to the hair. That was very thoughtful of you.

Happy shopping in October! ;)

AOBB

• montrealfilmguymontrealfilmguy Posts: 127
    edited October 2021

I'm a screenwriter and a lifelong cinephile.

I have watched a gazibillion films in my life.

My two favorites are Lawrence of Arabia for the era of grand theaters and spectacles.

And Blade runner for its existentialism theme and visual cinematography and effects.

Two masterpieces.

Upon seeing your Roy, i fainted before i could get some Epsom salts to wake me up.

You have done an amazing job.

I will be creating some wonderful art. Thank you so much. Good luck on your Gaff.

Post edited by montrealfilmguy on

mic685_ddf880de57 said:

@Catherine - thank you for drawing my attention to the shortcomings of the Soldier model. That was a rude awakening but necessary.

@Eustace Scrubb - thank you for the kind words about my work. It was such a relief to hear that I have managed to improve upon the original Soldier model.

@Faeryl Womyn - thank you for your advice!

@nonesuch00 - your input proved priceless and I appreciate it accordingly. I tried to implement your new advice as much as I could.

Here is the (hopefully) end result of my work on the Warrior - the new take on the Roy Batty character (the head morph is in the attached zip file):

G8.1M

The T-shirt from Mi tactical outfit for G8 and G8.1 Males

Togatta Hair (actually two of them to give the hair more fullness)

Bold Brows Fibermesh for G8M (Groomed02)

As usual this is only the head morph without any textures included. Noncommercial use only.

If something isn't working, please let me know. 

Changes to the basic textures you will see in the renderings: I tried to give the Warrior the ruddy skin but he still looks like he has a tan. Oh well, I tried... I also lightened and desaturated the irises of the blue-eye texture for the basic G8.1M model. I think this really enhanced the Warrior's look, so I would advise you to do the same. I would also suggest that you work on the Warrior's eyelashes so they aren't so feminine as they are straight "out of the box".

If you feel like commenting, please do. I love hearing from you!

Enjoy!

AOBB

Sorry, I don't check the freebie thread regularly but your improvements are amazing! I recognize this version of Rutger Hauer instantly and I think it means you've done some impressive work to accomplish that.

I realize some artists are sensitive but since you were doing a Rutger Hauer likeness and asking for how your modeled version could be improved I said so. If you were doing something like Picasso and Cubism style well there wouldn't be much to say for me except wether I like it, or not. 

I only now read the two last comments from montrealfilmguy and nonesuch00. You guys put a big grin on my face!

I don't mind anyone commenting on how my models are turning out as long as the comments are constructive and respectful. If it wasn't for your input, nonesuch00, Warrior wouldn't look nowhere nearly as good - you have a good eye and I really appreciate your help. :)

Gaff is very difficult for me to capture. I will give him probably another week or two and then switch to another model - Zhora or Leon - if I don't start getting him at least somewhat right. So far he has an ethnic look but little resemblance to Gaff. Very frustrating. If I feel like I am onto something but could do better I will post images of my WIP asking for your comments. I didn't do that with Punkette (Pris), because I have felt that I "got" her pretty right straight away.

Anyway, it is a pleasure to know that you like my work! Thank you!

AOBB

• Just passing through with a HU, today "everybody" is PC ... and in the PC for a day basket is this set which may be of interest:

https://www.daz3d.com/the-silent-city

Thanks, Catherine. Great find. I bought it in a flash! The warrior will look fantastic in that setting.

Gaff wasn't working out, so I moved on to Zhora (I think I will call the model "Deadly Dame"). I'm basically done modelling her. Just some little tweaks here and there and I can package the head morph and upload it. Here's the model so far:

Still have to work on her profile a bit.

Cheers and thanks again, Catherine,

AOBB

Deadly Dame beta crpd.png
    437 x 608 - 1M
  • mic685_ddf880de57 said:

Thanks, Catherine. Great find. I bought it in a flash! The warrior will look fantastic in that setting.

Gaff wasn't working out, so I moved on to Zhora (I think I will call the model "Deadly Dame"). I'm basically done modelling her. Just some little tweaks here and there and I can package the head morph and upload it. Here's the model so far:

AOBB

You're quite welcome.

The Deadly Dame looks quite pretty :-)

Well, Zhora was quite a looker herself! :)

mic685_ddf880de57 said:

AOBB

The eyebrows should be thinner and straighter without the bend on the end judging from the Bladerunner 1982 photos. I've never seen the movie, I traded it away right after I bought it when DVDs first came out before I even watched it. laugh