Daz characters to "3D Figurines"

6r6r Posts: 463
edited February 2015 in Daz Studio Discussion

You can see my "3D Figurines" renders. (No postwork !)

Here is the Freak, unpainted, a little bit painted and full painted :

FreakFigurinePaintedFull2.png
512 x 512 - 103K
FreakFigurinePaintedHead.png
512 x 512 - 107K
FreakFigurine.png
512 x 512 - 107K
Post edited by 6r on

Comments

• 6r6r Posts: 463
    edited January 2015

Hero :

FreakFigurineHero2.png
    512 x 512 - 156K
    FreakFigurineHero.png
    512 x 512 - 122K
    Post edited by 6r on
    edited December 1969

The Brute :

BruteFigurinesPainted.png
    128 x 256 - 30K
    BruteFigurines.png
    128 x 256 - 31K
    edited January 2015

Very interesting small renders for 2D games :

FreakFigurineHeroRun.png
    96 x 128 - 14K
    FreakFigurineHeroHandle.png
    96 x 128 - 16K
    FreakFigurineBent.png
    128 x 128 - 19K
    FreakFigurineJump.png
    128 x 128 - 16K
    Post edited by 6r on
  • FetitoFetito Posts: 481
    edited December 1969

Could you add a step by step tutorial? :P

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

Very cool!! How do you do this, pretty please?

edited December 1969

Thanks a lot...
    I don't have enough time to make tutorials because I'm working on several projects. And especially this one now to find the best effect. As you can see below I'm trying to use it on "painted" or "plastic" figurines, following the needs.
    The Girl4 with a musculous body... with a painted effect or a plastic effect :

Girl4FigurinePlastic.png
    512 x 512 - 164K
    Girl4FigurinePainted.png
    512 x 512 - 165K
    edited December 1969

Here is the Freak as a Figurine with a nice plastic effect :

FreakFigurinePlastic.png
    512 x 512 - 130K
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,336
    edited December 1969

These are very convincing, nice work! Can you tell us what shader you are using?

• CriosCrios Posts: 2,723
    edited December 1969

Can be really usefull know the shader or your workflow, if you use post production on renders.

edited December 1969

Thanks a lot...

No ! I don't use any shader. I simply use an included Daz UberEnvironment (+ 1 distant light) and insert a character.
    Then I (generally) delete all the textures to work with Colors only (and right values in the Surface panel !).

I don't need postwork ! It's why it's interesting to use because it's fast and easy. And it's important to avoid postproduction if I want to make sprites for games : I just have to render a picture or an animation (.png series) with Daz Studio ! No time to waste...

BruteFigurinePlastic.png
    256 x 512 - 103K
    edited January 2015

Updated : In fact, with the same file I can have 4 different renders by modifying a few things :
    * unpainted Figurine
    * painted Figurine
    * plastic Figurine
    * smooth Pixar effect

AlbertPixar.png
    256 x 256 - 80K
    AlbertFigurinePlastic.png
    256 x 256 - 83K
    AlbertFigurinePainted.png
    256 x 256 - 83K
    AlbertFigurineUnpainted.png
    256 x 256 - 85K
    Post edited by 6r on
  • Atticus BonesAtticus Bones Posts: 364
    edited January 2015

These are super awesome! Can you please share some screenshots of the settings you used for the painted effect? The AO is really effective.

Post edited by Atticus Bones on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,336
    edited December 1969

6r said:
    Thanks a lot...

No ! I don't use any shader. I simply use an included Daz UberEnvironment (+ 1 distant light) and insert a character.
    Then I (generally) delete all the textures to work with Colors only (and right values in the Surface panel !).

I don't need postwork ! It's why it's interesting to use because it's fast and easy. And it's important to avoid postproduction if I want to make sprites for games : I just have to render a picture or an animation (.png series) with Daz Studio ! No time to waste...

Very clever, and the results speak for themselves. Reminds me of what SnowSultan did here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/40700/ though clearly there are some differences too.
    edited January 2015

Really great, especially because is made only with Uber enviroment and 1 light. You must say us the settings. Please.
    (i ever tryed to make sprite for games, but never satisfied how are coming out).

Post edited by Crios on
  • IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,579
    edited December 1969

Really clever and a cool final look.
    Great job!

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,000
    edited January 2015

Try the following settings:
    In Ueberenvironment, set Saturation and Contrast to 200%.
    Set the distant light to low output, around 30%, and use shadows with shadow softness cranked up to around 30%.
    In Render Settings, use "Intermediate OpenGDL".
    Render.

I think that you have to tweak the settings of the UE a bit more to get the soft shadows.

Mod Edit:- Please repost the images cropped higher to hide the groin area, thanks.

Crpped2.jpg
    1400 x 933 - 91K
    Crpped.jpg
    1400 x 933 - 72K
    Post edited by BeeMKay on
    edited December 1969

I'm very happy to know people like my work...

Fantastic if you have found a nice render !?! Unfortunately I can't see your pictures (removed ?)...

It's exactly what I wanted to say : With the basics (Uberenvironment + 1 light) YOU can make tests to find YOUR settings and YOUR renders.
    These settings are absolutely not like mine but as you could see I have found several renders by playing with the settings only. Maybe YOU will find a better render than me !?! That would be great !!!

FreakFigurinePlastic22.png
    512 x 512 - 127K
    edited December 1969

I'm working a lot on this file to improve it or to find other interesting renders.
    Here I have tried with the Textures : (I prefer with Colors only ! But wait and see with other tests...)

Girl4FigurinePlasticTex.png
    256 x 512 - 82K
    edited December 1969

Okay, thanks to Mr/Mrs Mod, I had to rerender this. :-)
    I've tried the setting with Ambient Occulsion selected in the UE, which gave even better results. It's still some experimenting, though.

edited January 2015

Nice experimenting... Like you I had to test again and again to reach my aim.
    This way I could understand better how it works... then how and where I had to modify parameters.
    It's magic to see the result little by little because it can be very different from the scene before rendering !!!

Here is a scene : (to show it's the same file without postproduction !)

FreakCrocFigurineUnpainted.png
    512 x 512 - 183K
    FreakCrocFigurinePainted.png
    512 x 512 - 173K
    FreakCrocFigurinePlastic.png
    512 x 512 - 156K
    Post edited by 6r on
    edited January 2015

I get good results with indirect lighting settings.

I think the Indirect Light with Bounce comes closest to your original, but I don't have the time now to fiddle more with the settings.

CrppedIndirect_lightbounce.jpg
    1400 x 933 - 94K
    CrppedIndirect-light.jpg
    1400 x 933 - 117K
    edited January 2015

No luck... Tweaked every single setting, and still can't figure out how to replicate the level of ambient occlusion on those "unpainted" examples.

Post edited by Atticus Bones on
    edited December 1969

lee_lhs you've removed the texture before rendering the characters?

edited December 1969

Yes, this way we can have a smooth color effect.

On this Santa render you can see the use of Displacement (No Textures, Colors only !) ! Displacements are good for a better light/shadow effect.

SantaFigurinePlasticDisp.png
    512 x 512 - 250K
    SantaFigurinePlastic.png
    512 x 512 - 138K
    edited January 2015

Yes, I removed the texture (I applied the grey base texture that comes with Genesis starter essentials).
    Then I changed the color, but I am pretty certain I'm still off with some settings.

To change some of the UE settings, I had to select the light under "Posing".

Here's the same render using 3DLight instead of GDL when rendering.

CrppedIndirect-lightbounce3dlight.jpg
    1400 x 933 - 113K
    uesettings.JPG
    450 x 638 - 51K
    edited December 1969

WOW ! Very impressive Minotaur...
    As a teacher it's interesting for me to know I gave you some informations (not the solution !) and you try to "win this challenge" !!! ;-)

(I'm working with Daz Studio 3 because I need the great HandGrip plugin ! So I can't test with these characters !)

edited December 1969

Iìve asked because i've noticed some gradient on the minotaur skin, probably are created from the grey texture.

6r say use your parameters, please :D

edited December 1969

Pretty please.

edited January 2015

6r said:
    WOW ! Very impressive Minotaur...
    As a teacher it's interesting for me to know I gave you some informations (not the solution !) and you try to "win this challenge" !!! ;-)

(I'm working with Daz Studio 3 because I need the great HandGrip plugin ! So I can't test with these characters !)

Haha! Yes, I always was one who couldn't resist a challenge. And learning by doing always gets better results in regards to understanding the subject. Plus, it's time consuming; something not everyone has the luxury to do (or the patience).

Though, can you hint me into the direction of how you get that impressive grey "dirtlike" shadowing done? The obvious solution would be using the distant light for the purpose, but once I use the shadow there (unless I render using 3DL), I get cute little squares there. :roll:

Iìve asked because i've noticed some gradient on the minotaur skin, probably are created from the grey texture.

No, I changed the diffuse color of the grey pre-set. The gradients are created by the use of the specular and glossyness settings, once the Infinite Light enters the picture.

edited December 1969

This are my test:

First - without texture skin.

figurine_1.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 100K