More Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR III)

Comments

• csaacsaa Posts: 812
    edited February 2022

vrba79 - I like this one. The figure is well defined, the lines stand out cleanly, and the colors are pleasant. At first glance, I thought it was Benjamin Cumberbatch in a sort-of Dr. Strange look.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

vrba79 said:

Genesis 8 version of my Vincent Price-like Professor Victor Vornoff.

Post edited by csaa on
  • vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

Thanks. It's taken me a while, but I've gotten the hang of G8 after using G1 for so long.

Took a Daz file I made last year and applied CSP brushes. The distressed armor -- a rough pass.

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers!

Renee Snowborn | Daz assets and setup | Blender Eevee celshading | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

A pre-dialoged panel from my latest comic page.

•  

"She Zulu 3090" Artist -Drew Spence

Drew Spence Art She Zulu 3090

"Soldier Girl Light" Artist - Drew Spence

Drew Spence Art Soldier Girl Light

• Griffin Avid said:

Awesome Style !! Love it 

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

Thank you, sir.

Griffin Avid,

Very nice! Thanks for sharing. Hope to see more.

Cheers!

Griffin Avid said:

Welp. You just won the thread. Those are AMAZING!

edited March 2022

vrba79, 

Yah! Hope to see more from everyone.

Cheers!

vrba79 said:

Welp. You just won the thread. Those are AMAZING!

Post edited by csaa on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,471

Griffin Avid said:

+ Both are stunning.  Big thumbs up!

Thanks! 

"Build A Mouse"

Drew Spence Build A Mouse

This section needs a like button. The hair is well done. Rarely does the hair match the style. Wll done.

Thanks! It isn't a patch on your work, but I think I did alright.

• juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 556
    edited March 2022

Studio

Urban

Blender eevee Experiment

Studio.jpg
    1920 x 1920 - 3M
    Post edited by juvesatriani on
  • TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 734

Great artwork here, Thanks all for sharing.

I need to get in that studio. Love that style.

• mdk1960mdk1960 Posts: 37

A Roaring Twenties portrait.

fr5jjki9-asb22-sm.jpg
    1508 x 930 - 1M
  • So after a lot of trail and error I think I have figured out how to get a decent comic look using just iray renders and gimp. I've even figure out a few different styles of doing so (everything from retro to more modern looks).

I am takin these renders from the storefronts at DAZ and the other store to prove I am doing nothing funny with shaders. I hope this is okay. Someone has likely figured this out long ago on the this forum so sorry if boring. 

Process is Iray render and gimp g'mic filters ( Colored Pencil, Iain Noise Reduction 2019, Graphic Novel (for B&W Multiply layer), Comic Book (if desired), sometimes Contrast Swiss Mask, and tone mapping). The process isn't straight forward as u can use Noise Reduction in multiple areas as needed to make the filters work correctly and look right. I also blend the original render into the image using various methods (Normal, Multiply, soft light, hell even dissolve) to finish things off.

I could do a detailed tutorial if people want it.

Now I am off to figure out how to get a Boris Vallejo look. Getting real close with dynamic Auto Painter and Gimp.

BotFarmExample.png
    1600 x 1000 - 3M
    ComicSpaceRoom.png
    1600 x 900 - 3M
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,934

blackstallion1969_1355cfb052 said:

So after a lot of trail and error I think I have figured out how to get a decent comic look using just iray renders and gimp. I've even figure out a few different styles of doing so (everything from retro to more modern looks).

I am takin these renders from the storefronts at DAZ and the other store to prove I am doing nothing funny with shaders. I hope this is okay. Someone has likely figured this out long ago on the this forum so sorry if boring. 

Process is Iray render and gimp g'mic filters ( Colored Pencil, Iain Noise Reduction 2019, Graphic Novel (for B&W Multiply layer), Comic Book (if desired), sometimes Contrast Swiss Mask, and tone mapping). The process isn't straight forward as u can use Noise Reduction in multiple areas as needed to make the filters work correctly and look right. I also blend the original render into the image using various methods (Normal, Multiply, soft light, hell even dissolve) to finish things off.

I could do a detailed tutorial if people want it.

Now I am off to figure out how to get a Boris Vallejo look. Getting real close with dynamic Auto Painter and Gimp.

Very nice.

Could you please post some tutorial, if possible.

Thanks.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,934

juvesatriani said:

Studio

Urban

Blender eevee Experiment

Excellent, you are very talented.

• juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 556
    edited March 2022

@Artini thanks for nice words . Here another Fan art attempt using Blender EEVEE Multipass and like always PHOTOSHOP ;)

Arcane Vi

LOL Arcane VI.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 1M
    Post edited by juvesatriani on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

juvesatriani said:

@Artini thanks for nice words . Here another Fan art attempt using Blender EEVEE Multipass and like always PHOTOSHOP ;)

Arcane Vi

That is VERY COOL! Nicely done!!

• 3Diva said:

juvesatriani said:

Arcane Vi

That is VERY COOL! Nicely done!!

Thank you for nice words  @3diva !  

mdk1960,

I also like to add half tones here and there. I've used them in my recent work, along with stipples and all sorts of brushes CSP offers.

Cheers!

Sgts. Andrea and Inez | Daz assets and setup | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

mdk1960 said:

A Roaring Twenties portrait.

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020

I've been working with the impressive Uber detail shader from Soto's Breast Utilities 2 and wanted to give it a shout out since it's been amazing for setting up skin settings for NPR postwork. It sounds like he's working on an expanded version of the shader and making that into its own product, so that's probably going to be an instabuy for me.

My workflow involves selective masking of filter layers with textured brushes and some overpainting, and getting consistent results is a process because if the base render is too realistic, what filters do to it is pretty arbitrary. So a lot of the initial work of making it look like digital art has to be done in the base render so that I'm course correcting as little as possible in postwork. Lighting is the biggest part of this (huge surprise), but it can be challenging to get uniform effects on a cast with varied skin tones that need to respond predictably to different lighting situations. I need to heavily modify some settings to get specific effects, like inhuman skin colors, and some settings only work well with Uber or PBR. There's not really one universal setting that does what I need it to.

The summary of "what I need it to" is: clear separation of light, shadow, and color while minimizing details that confuse filter AI. The latter usually means removing bump and specularity maps, since detailed skin reflections over detailed diffuse maps frequently turn into soup. The balance of realism and looser paint strokes I want is somewhere in Julie Bell territory; she often leaves sharp or blocky elements more abstract and flat and renders soft forms like bodies in detail.  

The Uber Detail shader is pretty much what it says on the tin: it has the same settings as the Iray Uber shader but with the PBR shader's tiling normal detail (plus some extra options). Unlike the PBR shader it has cutout opacity, so you can use a geoshell to layer the effect over a character using any skin settings. The detail options have a huge impact on how skin reacts to light, so you can layer the shader over two characters with wildly different custom skin settings, and as long as their geoshells are set up the same way they'll have fairly uniform soft skin reflections.

I usually do a lot of prep when rendering out the base image, but I threw some of the filters I use on a viewport screengrab just to see how well it would work with basically no effort on my part. This character is using CC Acacios base skin with the PBR shader, and on the geoshell I have the Uber Detail shader with Holt 8's diffuse and translucency maps at .26 opacity. 

The two features I use from Clip Studio Paint are smart smoothing (weak, medium, or strong depending on the image clarity and detail) and sometimes convert brightness to opacity (which is intended to pull transparent linework from scans of traditional sketches/inks, and you can use it to convert black and white renders). I use Topaz Studio 2's abstraction and impression filters to create a layer that simulates low-detail blocking out of base colors, and once I've got a version that looks more or less like digital art I paint detail in from the original render and color grade using Exposure 7. Snap Art 4 came with Exposure and it's a neat situational alternative/addition to Topaz. 

You can use any detail maps! Breast Utilities 2 comes with a bunch of them but I've also used Handspan's. I have the tiling here set to 90 because I just think it's neat. 

Anyway thank you for keeping this thread going! I'm usually too much of a wuss to post but I love looking at everybody's work and I would not have learned so much of what I could use Daz for without it. 

yay brushes.png
    1800 x 896 - 1M
    filter example 00.png
    1300 x 1884 - 2M
    filter example 01.png
    1300 x 1887 - 2M
    filter example 02.png
    1300 x 1885 - 2M
  • @Plasma_ring Awesome images and walkthrough !

Thanks for sharing with us

Thanks to the new GPU, Iray renders are now taking significantly less time, and I can start more easily experimenting with making them look less photorealistic.