Daz Studio 5 preview release is delayed and that's good news.

Comments

• mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,029

tsroemi said:

Hey DAZ, maybe someone can pass this on to higher up: It's nice that you're celebrating the new release with some generous coupons, but would be even nicer still if Europeans and other people in different time zones could participate, too! A person needs to sleep some time, you know ...

You can either choose not to sleep, or forgo the pleasure of spending more ... DAZ is fully aware of time differences; they just value us less, or don't want our money. Is there a third possibility?

• mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,029
    edited September 2021

so, .30 appears to not have any problem with the color picker/changer (which .28 did b/c attempting to use it brought DS down), but trying to import an .obj now makes DS crash ... hard and violently. Somebody might want to check whether or not simple functions like these work before releasing the beta ... it's a simple thing to do, people need to use them, and it takes 10 secs to check if these things are properly working ... or is the obj thing a me-only, specific thing?

seems to have been an-obj specific problem, maybe something weird about the file. the second test with a different obj had noproblems ...

Post edited by mcorr on
  • TBorNotTBorNot Posts: 362

Been very stable on my M1 Mac mini.  Since the mini doesn't do large internal hard drives, I got a new 2TB external, made sure it was formatted case insensitive, then created a soft link (ln -s) from the default directory out to the external.  An extra step, but now all of the DAZ software uses the default path and I don't have to think.  Finally, I can start winding down my old Intel Mac mini!

Waiting for a over a thousand products to download.  Queue Jeopardy theme song!

Now I know what's different.  The fan on my Mac mini M1 doesn't ever turn on, so I can't tell when my render is complete.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,527

TBorNot said:

Been very stable on my M1 Mac mini.  Since the mini doesn't do large internal hard drives, I got a new 2TB external, made sure it was formatted case insensitive, then created a soft link (ln -s) from the default directory out to the external.  An extra step, but now all of the DAZ software uses the default path and I don't have to think.  Finally, I can start winding down my old Intel Mac mini!

Waiting for a over a thousand products to download.  Queue Jeopardy theme song!

I just mounted a file share of my main content library. No smart content though. 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,245

Gordig said:

The latest beta and its associated plugins have joined the increasing number of products in DIM that just refuse to install.

Finally got the problem items (now including the general release) to install by temporarily setting the download location to my C: drive instead of my NAS. 

I've noticed a few other changes. The progress pop-up window location has moved, and the main window is now grey'd out during a render.  Another very interesting change is that during long loads of characters, the yellow update progress bar now is clearly visible doing the recursive fitting which is causing the problem.

Still no crashes on an M1.  Have finished reinstalling all the content from Daz, working on content from, cough cough, other sources.

Been running images this weekend, to see what the memory usage is on the Mac mini M1.  Looks like aroung 8GB for a reasonable sized image, two figures with lighting effects.  My Mac has 16GB, so I can watch YouTube, read forums, etc and it doesn't seems to matter.

I did notice that if you do a File->New the memory isn't cleared, so I exit instead and restart. The restart only takes a few seconds, so that's fine.  

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,346
    edited September 2021

This change is just great

Content DB Editor _ Fairy Fabric Shaders.png
    523 x 465 - 14K
    Post edited by [email protected] on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,527

TBorNot said:

Been running images this weekend, to see what the memory usage is on the Mac mini M1.  Looks like aroung 8GB for a reasonable sized image, two figures with lighting effects.  My Mac has 16GB, so I can watch YouTube, read forums, etc and it doesn't seems to matter.

I did notice that if you do a File->New the memory isn't cleared, so I exit instead and restart. The restart only takes a few seconds, so that's fine.  

I rendered a scene with DS using 21GB on my 8GB M1Mini, the memory handling and swaping on SSD on the M1Mini is quite impressive.

• Since I'm still on Catalina I did not try out the new Big Sur/M1 studio. How about render times? Guess its still all CPU? Any speed improvements - especially on M1? And what about dForce? Running without problems on BigSur/M1? Or maybe even faster?

• Rod Wise Driggo said:

Since I'm still on Catalina I did not try out the new Big Sur/M1 studio. How about render times? Guess its still all CPU? Any speed improvements - especially on M1? And what about dForce? Running without problems on BigSur/M1? Or maybe even faster?

I performed an Iray render test using the same scene and settings on my 3 Macs.  You can see the results from last week here:  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/514931/adventures-with-apple-silicon-and-big-sur#latest

Essentially, for this simple test scene, my 16" i9 MacBook Pro (macOS Catalina) was around 30% faster than my M1 MacBook Air (macOS Big Sur).

Lee

• leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

Rod Wise Driggo said:

Since I'm still on Catalina I did not try out the new Big Sur/M1 studio. How about render times? Guess its still all CPU? Any speed improvements - especially on M1? And what about dForce? Running without problems on BigSur/M1? Or maybe even faster?

I performed an Iray render test using the same scene and settings on my 3 Macs.  You can see the results from last week here:  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/514931/adventures-with-apple-silicon-and-big-sur#latest

Essentially, for this simple test scene, my 16" i9 MacBook Pro (macOS Catalina) was around 30% faster than my M1 MacBook Air (macOS Big Sur).

Lee

Thanks for this. Do you mind checking how dForce is doing on your machines as well?

• Rod Wise Driggo said:

leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

Rod Wise Driggo said:

Lee

Thanks for this. Do you mind checking how dForce is doing on your machines as well?

You are quite welcome.  I don't use dForce, but If you don't mind, I'll let our dForce experts tell us about their experiences. :)

Lee 

edited September 2021

Speed at this point isn't what you will eventually see once the Intel binary is moved to Universal, since it will (may) remove the overhead of the Rosetta translation.  Even so, I am overjoyed that Daz works and is solid!

Post edited by TBorNot on
  • Speed is not everything. Also finally using Retina regarding the interface would not be that bad. But that's maybe something for studio 5.x then.

• JPJP Posts: 60

What would be the point of running Daz on a Mac when they don't support Nvidia anymore? How will rendering speed / quality compare to a PC that runs a RTX 3090? I am blown away by the performance on the Nvidia RTX 3090!

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,245

JPDAZ said:

What would be the point of running Daz on a Mac when they don't support Nvidia anymore? How will rendering speed / quality compare to a PC that runs a RTX 3090? I am blown away by the performance on the Nvidia RTX 3090!

A) Not everybody uses Iray
    B) Not everybody who renders in Iray even on a PC have an Nvidia GPU
    C) Some people value using a Mac more highly than using an Nvidia GPU, and thus consider it a worthwhile tradeoff

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,099

Gordig said:

JPDAZ said:

C) Some people value using a Mac more highly than using an Nvidia GPU, and thus consider it a worthwhile tradeoff

+ 1 For me, personally, I do want to continue using DAZ Studio on a Macintosh, but if DS were not to be updated, rather than buying a PC, I would switch back to Poser. I had a lot of fun using D3 and M4s on Poser. Sure, I know, they're not up to G 8 standards, but I could still have fun with them. So, it's a Mac for me!

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

I stuck with my iMac for years but I was jealous of the PC users with NVidia cards who could run IRay. My 2013 iMac also had an NVidia GPU but it refused to run IRay so I put together a mini render farm using the iMac and a Linux box I had back then. Reality with Luxrender was able to use both CPUs to network render an image and the quality of Luxrender was quite close to IRay. Unfortunately a lot of time was wasted on converting materials with Reality. On the plus side, I could leave a render running in the background while I worked on the next scene.

Eventually, my jealousy got the better of me so I sold my beloved iMac and now put up with Windows in order to run Iray on a 3090. If only it would speed up dForce but that is now my biggest time-waster.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,602

...before d-Force there was one PA who would put a large number of morphs into clothing, particularly skirts, to get them to move and pose a bit more realistically. Yes it was a bit more work though in some ways it looked more natural, and you didn't have to worry about explosions. 

• JPJP Posts: 60

Gordig said:

JPDAZ said:

Fair enough. I have a 2013 Mac and while I like it and it still works great it really is not as practical as a PC. Aiplay just stopped working on it after an OS upgrade and I am not the only one having that issue. So somehow Apple disabled that feauture on the older Macs. I'll have to dig around to see if I can get it working again. Yes I know it's got nothing to do with Daz.

Macs are expensive and you could build a better performing PC for the same price. Windows 10 or 11 works great and should not be an issue. In fact I find it easier to get to stuff and arrange windows etc. on Windows 10 than a Mac.

PCs have just so much more to offer as far as software and hardware goes compared to current Apple computers. Mac users missing out on a lot IMO. But to each his own I guess...

• DAZ_Rawb said:

The title of this thread might be a little bit confusing, so let me start with the first half:

The Daz Studio 5 preview release is being delayed. The Studio dev team has worked really hard and gotten it to the point where we were getting ready to go through all the build and release procedures / ceremonies / interpretive dances necessary to get it distributed out to you but we are going to wait on that. This pre-release essentially would have been a version of Daz Studio 4.15 missing a bunch of features and running on a newer set of core libraries. The new big thing that it could do would be to run on the latest version of MacOS. So if we had a version of Daz Studio 4.15 that had all the features and compatibility and worked on the latest version of MacOS it wouldn't make sense to release this very early preview correct?

Well, the Studio team has also been working with some Apple engineers to see if there was a way to get Daz Studio 4.15 working on the latest MacOS and after a number of false-starts we finally had success. The latest DIM has those changes in it, so it should be able to run on the latest MacOS (and continue to work great on Windows). As for Daz Studio? Check out the new public beta (4.15.0.25) that just launched. This beta has some stability fixes in it as well, so it's not just a win for the MacOS folks. The beta cycle will likely be pretty fast so please give it a run through when you see it out in the wild.

I hope that version 5 includes a big jump in terms of user interface as well. At least give us the option to make the text bigger.

• rafed_alwani said:

DAZ_Rawb said:

The title of this thread might be a little bit confusing, so let me start with the first half:

The Daz Studio 5 preview release is being delayed. The Studio dev team has worked really hard and gotten it to the point where we were getting ready to go through all the build and release procedures / ceremonies / interpretive dances necessary to get it distributed out to you but we are going to wait on that. This pre-release essentially would have been a version of Daz Studio 4.15 missing a bunch of features and running on a newer set of core libraries. The new big thing that it could do would be to run on the latest version of MacOS. So if we had a version of Daz Studio 4.15 that had all the features and compatibility and worked on the latest version of MacOS it wouldn't make sense to release this very early preview correct?

Well, the Studio team has also been working with some Apple engineers to see if there was a way to get Daz Studio 4.15 working on the latest MacOS and after a number of false-starts we finally had success. The latest DIM has those changes in it, so it should be able to run on the latest MacOS (and continue to work great on Windows). As for Daz Studio? Check out the new public beta (4.15.0.25) that just launched. This beta has some stability fixes in it as well, so it's not just a win for the MacOS folks. The beta cycle will likely be pretty fast so please give it a run through when you see it out in the wild.

I hope that version 5 includes a big jump in terms of user interface as well. At least give us the option to make the text bigger.

Text scaling was a limitation of the Qt framework. We know DS 5 is going to use an updated version of the framework, which is a necessary (but not, I think, sufficient in itself) for text and UI scaling.

• The RED CrownThe RED Crown Posts: 247
    edited January 2022

we want see at least screenshot interface . can you show that ? .

Post edited by The RED Crown on
  • ImagoImago Posts: 4,911

I hope all the animation tools and Undo Stack are getting a fix after 6 years of anguish...

• I hope what gets fixed too is how if you load a scene and something is turned off, a character, prop, etcetera, and then when you turn it on, the keyframes do not appear in the timeline. You have to delete the object and then undo the delete so the keyframes show up. It's just an extra step, but it gets annoying after awhile. 

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,911

benniewoodell said:

I hope what gets fixed too is how if you load a scene and something is turned off, a character, prop, etcetera, and then when you turn it on, the keyframes do not appear in the timeline. You have to delete the object and then undo the delete so the keyframes show up. It's just an extra step, but it gets annoying after awhile. 

Just right click the timeline and choose "refresh".

• Imago said:

benniewoodell said:

I hope what gets fixed too is how if you load a scene and something is turned off, a character, prop, etcetera, and then when you turn it on, the keyframes do not appear in the timeline. You have to delete the object and then undo the delete so the keyframes show up. It's just an extra step, but it gets annoying after awhile. 

I will do that, didn't even know about the refresh option. It's still an extra step, but it's one step less than deleting the object and undoing the delete, so that will make life just that little bit easier. Thank you! 

• benniewoodell said:

Imago said:

benniewoodell said:

I will do that, didn't even know about the refresh option. It's still an extra step, but it's one step less than deleting the object and undoing the delete, so that will make life just that little bit easier. Thank you! 

Sadly I just tried the refresh idea and it did not work. I still had to delete the character and undo the delete for him to show up in the timeline.