Show us more of your 3Delight renders

Comments

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

Sven Dullah said:

Tks Walt, your tip is much appreciated! I already used the geoshell-trick to create a body suit- type wearable. And successfully converted some gen4 stuff to conforming (Cephalinoid) clothing, so I'm good for now:) Hm, in the process of creating that alien band I've been dreaming of for a long time, with the intention of making a 3 min video with music I made with a friend. For now, I'm doing it in 720p/30fps, about 2700 frames done;) Will probably post some stills here, in a bit..

With five figures and a "club-type" environment I can render the lot in an hour using OGL, but for the final version I'll use 3DL REYES with MB, a volumetric fog cam and AoA/UE2 lighting, at 1 - 2 min/frame...if I don't come up with a better (re)solution. Having loads of fun, in any event!

Always five steps ahead of me!

It sounds like an incredibly fun project, I'm looking forward to it!

-- Walt Sterdan

edited April 2023

I don't normally do serious or "finished" pieces. I'm usually in it for the fun.

Before I retired I rarely had enough spare time to spend as much time as I wanted in 3D, so I would normally use the time to do quick tests on purchased items knocking out "first drafts" more than anything I'd think was worth posting. I normally do toon renderings and I spent years running almost everything through PWToon.

Here's a couple of tests I did way back when Stonemason's Castle Ruins came out (2011/2012). I liked the quick tests, but never took the time to "finish" them (e.g. add footprints in the snow, frosty breaths from the giants, etc.).

This is the kind of stuff I enjoyed doing, just for the fun of it, and for the quick little rush you get from thinking up an idea and seeing what it looks like on the screen a few minutes later; it's why I love DAZ Studio, there's nothing better for doing that (for me, at least, if I could sketch better that might be faster and cheaper).

-- Walt Sterdan

Post edited by wsterdan on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

wsterdan said:

I don't normally do serious or "finished" pieces. I'm usually in it for the fun.

Before I retired I rarely had enough spare time to spend as much time as I wanted in 3D, so I would normally use the time to do quick tests on purchased items knocking out "first drafts" more than anything I'd think was worth posting. I normally do toon renderings and I spent years running almost everything through PWToon.

Here's a couple of tests I did way back when Stonemason's Castle Ruins came out (2011/2012). I liked the quick tests, but never took the time to "finish" them (e.g. add footprints in the snow, frosty breaths from the giants, etc.).

This is the kind of stuff I enjoyed doing, just for the fun of it, and for the quick little rush you get from thinking up an idea and seeing what it looks like on the screen a few minutes later; it's why I love DAZ Studio, there's nothing better for doing that (for me, at least, if I could sketch better that might be faster and cheaper).

-- Walt Sterdan

Wow nice! Tks for sharing! At that time I probably still made short stupid animations in OGL to enjoy my friends;) Rendering in 3DL was out of question. It could have been a Mac G3 at the time... 

I was still using my 2008 MacBook Pro at that time, a Core 2 Duo. Good times.

-- Walt Sterdan

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,253
    edited May 2023

I'm doing Apa covers again. The package that I did back in 2018 will all be used by July of this year, so it was time to do a few more and send them off to the editor.

One of the new ones is a phto-manip of a render that I dd for one of the Liola Lane contests, so a version of it's been posted already, and another is just an enlargement of an illo that I'm pretty sure I posted in the old thread. But two of them are new material. For posting, I left the text off.

First, a fairly straighforward exercise in converting from Iray. I've been using Vyktortia's Convert It! package from Rendo. It seems to do reasonably well. Although I've also uses various other 3DL shaders on things once the inital conversion was done.

I've been a bit annoyed by Studio quitting on "Save". It does seem to save the file. But I wasn't ready to quit it yet, so it wastes time reopening and reopening the file (which tyakes over an hour) This is not confined to any particular version of Studio. I've had the file open in three of them, and they are alll likely to do it.

To-Post.jpg
    800 x 1035 - 263K
    Post edited by JOdel on

This one uses some tryely ancient stuff from the old RDNA Deep Freeze collection, One of Flipmode's Sky spheres, lights, and some things which just came out in the last month. That's the Hivewire horse and the armor is not actuallyn fitted to him, just loaded and scaled to about fit. He is a bit scaed to fit as well. I was very pleased to discover that the G8M character converter from Vyktoria's Convert It! Character conversion pack seems to work just fine when applied to G9. DisparateDreamer's hair shaders which came with Hana for Kanade8 sort-of worked, but I had to go in and adjust the render in post. If it were a close-up I'd have been tweaking for quite a while before I had it to an acceptable level.

To-Post.jpg
    800 x 1035 - 374K

JOdel said:

I'm doing Apa covers again. The package that I did back in 2018 will all be used by July of this year, so it was time to do a few more and send them off to the editor.

One of the new ones is a phto-manip of a render that I dd for one of the Liola Lane contests, so a version of it's been posted already, and another is just an enlargement of an illo that I'm pretty sure I posted in the old thread. But two of them are new material. For posting, I left the text off.

First, a fairly straighforward exercise in converting from Iray. I've been using Vyktortia's Convert It! package from Rendo. It seems to do reasonably well. Although I've also uses various other 3DL shaders on things once the inital conversion was done.

I've been a bit annoyed by Studio quitting on "Save". It does seem to save the file. But I wasn't ready to quit it yet, so it wastes time reopening and reopening the file (which tyakes over an hour) This is not confined to any particular version of Studio. I've had the file open in three of them, and they are alll likely to do it.

For "quitting on 'Save'" I am going to assume you used keyboard commands (control-s or command-s); I guess they haven't fixed it yet, but try using the menu instead (I do the same for Render instead of the keyboard command). I've only crashed DAZ Studio 37 times in the last decade, and about three-quarters of the crash were due to the bug with the keyboard commands. It might not be the case for you, but it's worth testing.

As to the render, brilliant, as always, it's so packed with interesting details and everythings so clear, it's a fun image to sit back and look at all the parts, excellent!

-- Walt Sterdan 

edited May 2023

JOdel said:

This one uses some tryely ancient stuff from the old RDNA Deep Freeze collection, One of Flipmode's Sky spheres, lights, and some things which just came out in the last month. That's the Hivewire horse and the armor is not actuallyn fitted to him, just loaded and scaled to about fit. He is a bit scaed to fit as well. I was very pleased to discover that the G8M character converter from Vyktoria's Convert It! Character conversion pack seems to work just fine when applied to G9. DisparateDreamer's hair shaders which came with Hana for Kanade8 sort-of worked, but I had to go in and adjust the render in post. If it were a close-up I'd have been tweaking for quite a while before I had it to an acceptable level.

And another great image. I especially love the detail in the grass and leaves, beautiful. The horse and armors look good too. Thanks for sharing! 

-- Walt Sterdan

Post edited by wsterdan on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

JOdel said:

Nice!  

• EthinEthin Posts: 1,008

JOdel said:

coolyes 

Thank you for the tip about using the menu save rather than the keyboard save. I'll try to keep it in mind. The thing is that the jeyboard save never used to makr the program quit, and one of them was the same version of the program from some years ago. (I keep earlier versions of the program installed, although I don't try to run them at the same time.)

I know, neither did the commands for Render. It strikes me as very odd bugs to introduce after having no issues for so many versions. At any rate, all you have to do is open a file that gave you a problem and do a handful of saves to confirm. I hope it helps, as I know how frustrating it was when it was happening to me, especially with some of the load times with larger files.

-- Walt Sterdan

• IlenaIlena Posts: 280

Here is one early things project shot :)

catching_up_by_hyperion_studio_deflaf5-fullview.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 66K

Ilena said:

Here is one early things project shot :)

Nice! I like how the slight tilt makes the shot a bit more dynamic, and the expression on the woman's face is excellent, she looks more "human", less "model". Thanks for sharing it.

-- Walt Sterdan 

• IlenaIlena Posts: 280

Thank you wsterdan. If there is one thing I try with art since the early start is to make the character's look less model like and more human. Although I tend to think they are always on the model side more than the humans for some reason. :)

edited May 2023

Just messing around.

Dungeon Slime 01.jpg
    1820 x 1024 - 778K
    Post edited by Ethin on

Ethin said:

Just messing around.

Neat! I haven't run into any of those since I last played Wizardry back in the early 80s on my old Apple ][+. Just the right amount of transparency, nicely done!

-- Walt Sterdan

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,324
    edited May 2023

I always like dusting off the 3DL renderer once in a while. It delivered nice results with bumps and displacement.

1stB-firestation.jpg
    800 x 450 - 238K
    Post edited by FirstBastion on

FirstBastion said:

I always like dusting off the 3DL renderer once in a while. It delivered nice results with bumps and displacement.

Nice! I love how bright and crisp everything looks, with enough wear and tear in places that makes it more "real". The reflections and transparency on the car windows helps too.

-- Walt Sterdan

FirstBastion said:

yes!

wsterdan said:

Neat! I haven't run into any of those since I last played Wizardry back in the early 80s on my old Apple ][+. Just the right amount of transparency, nicely done!

-- Walt Sterdan

Thanks!

Bob Ross "Now lets paint a happy little slime in our gnarly old dungeon"

• MisselthwaiteMisselthwaite Posts: 959
    edited May 2023

Wow, Sven, those dancing Cephalo-whotzits are going to keep my brain up at nights!  Matches really well with the Cthulhu-inspired cocktail book my oldest child is busily mixing herself through... ahem.

I finally finished puttering around and produced a thing.  I took a guilty-pleasure day off of yard work (which I will likely regret in short order!) and tidied it up.  The hair took forever to render, I'm sure there's a perfectly rational reason why... and I know better, and I used it anyway, so whose fault is it? No realism here, sorry, I'm strictly on a fantastical literature kick this summer - I think the White Rabbit is next :-D  If I finish the set, maybe I'll get them all printed to canvas so I can fill a wall with cheerful lunacy!

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

An absolutely fun image, I love all the little details sprinked thoughout. Super fun!
    If I had one suggestion, it might just be me but it looks like the eyeballs themselves are every so slightly inset, but very little, as if they're 0.1 or 0.2% too small or set backwards in the head a bit.

It might just be me, though, as it's certainly not something that leaps out.

Thanks for sharing such a fun pict, please follow through with more of the characters.

-- Walt Sterdan

• MisselthwaiteMisselthwaite Posts: 959

wsterdan said:

An absolutely fun image, I love all the little details sprinked thoughout. Super fun!
    If I had one suggestion, it might just be me but it looks like the eyeballs themselves are every so slightly inset, but very little, as if they're 0.1 or 0.2% too small or set backwards in the head a bit.

It might just be me, though, as it's certainly not something that leaps out.

Thanks for sharing such a fun pict, please follow through with more of the characters.

-- Walt Sterdan

That's funny, because the eyeballs are actually slightly oversized!  On reflection, it could be that when I scaled them, they shifted slightly, but I kind of liked the slightly doll-like effect (it made such wonderful shadows on the eyeballs), so I didn't worry about them :-)  You are obviously a detail person, too, so thank you!!!

• DARUDARU Posts: 33

I wanted to use motion blur, so the environment was rendered in 3Delight.

The hoverbike and person were rendered in iray and composited in Photoshop.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,324

DARU said:

I wanted to use motion blur, so the environment was rendered in 3Delight.

The hoverbike and person were rendered in iray and composited in Photoshop.

I like this image alot.  Dynamic and visually apealing.  Just the right amount of blur to sell the motion.

FirstBastion said:

I like this image alot.  Dynamic and visually apealing.  Just the right amount of blur to sell the motion.

Thank you. the motion blur adjustment took some trial and error. 

DARU said:

FirstBastion said:

Thank you. the motion blur adjustment took some trial and error. 

It was certainly worth it, beautiful effect, great render!

-- Walt Sterdan

wsterdan said:

It was certainly worth it, beautiful effect, great render!

-- Walt Sterdan

Thank you, it was worth the time. 

I used the AWE Shading Kit. This unlocked 3Delight for me.

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/user/5295127903862784#gallery=newest&page=1&image=1295076