the forum flair bait

RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

"You’ll stand out from the crowd with exclusive forum flair for all Season Pass holders"

does this bait work for you ?

you will buy season pass to stand out ? really ?

what awkward marketing is this ?

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136

No, in fact some people who bought the first season pass asked to have the forum flair removed from their avatar.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

barbult said:

No, in fact some people who bought the first season pass asked to have the forum flair removed from their avatar.

... and it seems that is an even more popular move this time around as I haven't seen many badges wink 

• BlueFingersBlueFingers Posts: 824
    edited August 2021

I found it even mildly insulting that the forum flair was suppose to win me over, but I figured it was a cultural thing.

Looking at the timing of these posts; is it safe to say we are all from western europe, maybe north western europe, and it is a cultural thing?

Edit: I don't know other enough about other cultures to include them but I think it even might go for other cultures as well, I didn't mean to exclude anyone on purpose.

Post edited by BlueFingers on
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,677

BlueFingers said:

I found it even mildly insulting that the forum flair was suppose to win me over, but I figured it was a cultural thing.

Looking at the timing of these posts; is it safe to say we are all from western europe, maybe north western europe, and it is a cultural thing?

It's not just cultural; it's also generational. I requested a flairectomy last SP, and they finally gave it to me a week later when I came on the forums and questioned the existence of flair removal. 

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,113

I know people who would enjoy this type of cosmetic upgrade. However, they're not the types who'd be into this hobby.

The "forum flair," looks tacky to me. Would've been better if they allowed animated avatars. ;3

• "You can make some of the people happy some of the time but you can't make all the people happy all of the time"  

~ a very wise person

• doubledeviantdoubledeviant Posts: 1,024
    Some Kickstarter projects offer forum badges - in those cases, I think it's meant to be a mark of pride: "I helped make this game possible."

But some might also enjoy it as a vanity item showing off a large pledge or purchase. Or perhaps consider it a mark of devotion expressing their fandom.

It doesn't motivate me in regards to purchasing, but I don't find it egregious either. I see it being offered and just shrug and say "Okay, whatever."

And it's *far* better than actual content being exclusive to the season pass. The gaming industry often makes trivial but desirable content as "preorder exclusives" - buy now or miss out! That's the kind of FOMO marketing that irks me.
  • doubledeviant said:

And it's *far* better than actual content being exclusive to the season pass. The gaming industry often makes trivial but desirable content as "preorder exclusives" - buy now or miss out! That's the kind of FOMO marketing that irks me.

You are giving them ideas,....

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited August 2021

Well, it came at the same time they introduced NFTs, so if you look at it from that perspective it makes more sense... I'm kinda surprised they managed to leave out saying "Be the first kid on the block to have one, you know all the cool kids will"... 
    Or maybe throwing in a line about it helping fight "A reptile dysfunction"... that seems to be a popular concern worth exploring, due to the number of cheezy commercials out there... I'm guessing that's what they teach at the Ronco2000 School of Marketing these days? 

Things/gimmicks for the marking team to explore including in their ads...

- the use of "recycled photons" in content.

- "fat free" claims.

- DAZ products give you younger looking skin and a healthy glow.

- "100%" vegan nature of polygons

- 4 out 5 dentists who use 3D software recommend DAZ

- order before midnight tonight and get free shipping

- say "clinically proven" a lot 

- consider framing content as a "nutritional supplement"

- consider a catchy DAZ jingle that plays in the background while customers shop

- subliminal messages

subliminal messages...subliminal messages...subliminal messages...subliminal messages...subliminal messages...

subliminal messages...subliminal messages...subliminal messages...subliminal messages...subliminal messages...

Post edited by McGyver on
  • doubledeviantdoubledeviant Posts: 1,024

doubledeviant said:

You are giving them ideas,....

Ikr. But I suspect that they're already considering it. Probably haven't decided if the possibility of generating a few more impulse purchases would outweigh the pushback/outrage.
  • benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,901
    edited August 2021

I asked them months ago to take the flair off my avatar for the last season pass, was told it would happen, and yet here it still is (unless I click post and it somehow left since yesterday which I highly doubt). Looks like they took my silver belt away for placing in one of the contests instead. 

Post edited by benniewoodell on
  • I don't care if I have the flair or not. It's neither a plus nor a minus to me.

If I ever become "famous" for "social media" (or whatever), then I've failed at life.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

BlueFingers said:

Edit: I don't know other enough about other cultures to include them but I think it even might go for other cultures as well, I didn't mean to exclude anyone on purpose.

Nope, not just Europeans. A lot of Canadians/Americans don't seem to like it either. LOL. 

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

McGyver said:

Well, it came at the same time they introduced NFTs, so if you look at it from that perspective it makes more sense... I'm kinda surprised they managed to leave out saying "Be the first kid on the block to have one, you know all the cool kids will"... 
    Or maybe throwing in a line about it helping fight "A reptile dysfunction"... that seems to be a popular concern worth exploring, due to the number of cheezy commercials out there... I'm guessing that's what they teach at the Ronco2000 School of Marketing these days? 

- "fat free" claims.

- consider a catchy DAZ jingle that plays in the background while customers shop

- subliminal messages

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136

I've only seen 4 SP2 flairs in the forum (and I spend a lot of time here). 2 of the 4 were PAs.

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

you people here give me hope for mankind again: thank you

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited August 2021

McGyver said:

...gahh no!  Particularly not around the Yule holiday.

In one of the cyber future games I'm involved with there is an ammunition backpack container which holds 2,500 rounds which you can use as a continuous feed for any full auto weapon machine gun. The downside , when you start firing it spams a several block area with adverts, both audibly and via Wi-Fi, for the company that makes it.

- subliminal messages

subliminal messages.subliminal messages...subliminal messages...subliminal messages...subliminal messages...

..I think those are already employed 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited August 2021

...again.

double post 2.jpg
    512 x 512 - 16K
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,729

I personally despise mine, but not enough to start 'another' customer service request. I wish it was possible to remove from my forum access level.

Me, I think it is an age thing. It may appeal to those who were raised in an age where stickers and such stuff were collected and shown off on book bags, notebooks, ... You are left with a mess.

I never saw the purpose for buying them and thankfully my son was not into it. Now baseball cards, he had to earn his own money for those. Just like I did for my comics. 

@memcneil70...

At first glance(and second glance, and up until about the thirty seventh glance), I thought your "forum flair" thingie (is that really what they call them?... not that I doubt it, it's just a little stu... odd sounding)... I thought it was the DAZ octopus wearing an oversized 50s style DA haircut...(like the character from the Space Dandy anime)... but now after examining it in a "what the hell is that?" sort of way for a while, I'm of the opinion it's a pirate hat...?

Did I figure that out right?

Do we get prizes for figuring out what other people's flair things are?

I honestly didn't pay attention to anyone's until now... now I'm intrigued.

Not in a good way, but still...

I think you nailed it with the sticker thing... there's a whole psychology behind the micro transactions thing in the game world, where you can buy crap to personalize your characters... so I'm sure it made sense to test that out a bit here.

Not a the kind of sense that makes sense in a warm fuzzy feeling sort of way, but a sort of sense none the less.

• PitmaticPitmatic Posts: 776

I admit it I will come clean I play Fortnite now and again and it utterly amazes me that people will buy cosmetic items for their characters on a game that is free especialy when the game aloows you to earn game currency to buy those things people just dont want to wait and earn it.

• Scotty ZScotty Z Posts: 44

Ruphuss said:

"You’ll stand out from the crowd with exclusive forum flair for all Season Pass holders"

Not the least bit tempted by this sort of thing, but you miss 100% of the attempts you don't make so I can't blame them for trying. 

• WolfwoodWolfwood Posts: 675

Pitmatic said:

I admit it I will come clean I play Fortnite now and again and it utterly amazes me that people will buy cosmetic items for their characters on a game that is free especialy when the game aloows you to earn game currency to buy those things people just dont want to wait and earn it.

It is odd, but cosmetics like that i get it. Those that spend actual money even when you may eventually get it with in game currency are the ones that allow those kind of game to stay free (or cheap). But following that line there are thing that amazes me even more: I sometimes play SWTOR and some people spend actual money on shady sites (where you will not want to use your credit card) to save just save a couple of hours or less of game activity to get currency.

Now, badges..... no......BIG NO, that is not even cosmetic, it feels like CENSORED. I get the people that purchase the Season Pass because it makes sense and provides savings considering their purchase records; but those that want a badge or even a forum se......separation..... that is low, really really low and i feel sorry for them.

(*) I decided to censor myself on that term because there is someone arround with an agenda that will use that as an excuse to.... CENSORED.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,250
    edited August 2021

The season's pass itself isn't necessarily a bad deal. Particularly since the access to things like the webinars and what all is a part of it. Particularly if you aren't necessarily going to buy the bundle anyway. One just needs to weigh the price of five core character morphs against  the price of the pass. If the HD add-ons are included with the pass, it may come out about even. 

I don't appreciate the insistence of money up front to purchase products unseen, but the actual offer isn't completely off-putting.

The forum flair idea is basically forceing you to wear the t-shirt with the store logo on it in public.

Some people *want* to do that, given the number of people I see running around with store logos on their clothing.

Post edited by JOdel on
    edited August 2021

..I miss the little green boxes for the number of forum posts you have. 

Bugger seems the blank image issue has been infecting the forums, not just the galleries. Had to download the image and attach it to the post.  Takes all the fun out sometimes.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,061

McGyver said:

- "fat free" claims.

- subliminal messages

Also certified gluten free and low sodium.

Soft to the touch and won't irritate sensitive skin.

Buy the one bits today and we'll throw in the zero bits for free!

Eight out of ten users found the content easy to use and fully functional (two out of ten couldn't find the content at all).

• SilvereSilvere Posts: 46

It's probably part of some gamification steps or whatever they are trying out. Next to NFT , bricking plugins in Daz 5 and Pro Bundle removal with sometimes double dips, I'm honestly near a breaking point because the new leadership seems to want to drive this into the ground faster than I can punch myself.

It's the Schrodinger'd box pitch...

"Hey kid....

Limited time offer... 

Give me $50 for what's in this box...

No, you can't peek at what's inside...

But it's great and it's definitely probably not a dead or perhaps live cat... but you won't know until you give me the $50...

I'm positive you will be surprised and possibly excited by what you find inside...

Also you get this sticker too... 

Yeah, I know it says "Inflammable Liquid",  but yours will be different from everyone else's... that guy over there got "Fragile"... and she's got "Out O Order"...

See... yours will be unique... cool... no?

$50... 

You'lll Miss out..."

Ignore the meowing and the weird smell coming from the box... 

• I suppose if us "Forum Flairs" acted like Blue Checks and treated everyone else as second-class citizens, then maybe it might be amusing for all of 2 seconds... but there's a reason I don't participate on the Bird app any longer.

/Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?

• ItsCeoItsCeo Posts: 471
    edited August 2021

Scotty Z said:

Ruphuss said:

Not the least bit tempted by this sort of thing, but you miss 100% of the attempts you don't make so I can't blame them for trying. 

TY @ /forums/profile/345848/Scotty%20Z !  I am glad they tried the Flair... and I am glad for this thread. How else will the people at DAZ learn what the customers want... (to buy).  Face it, Daz is a business and they want you to buy stuff and are trying to figure out new ways for that to happen. Come on, there ARE marketing events Daz holds that many of you look forward to annually or seasonally. Season Pass could morph into one such event... or it could fail miserably - but you don't know til you try... and they won't know what YOU want until you tell them what does and does not work. Winner-Winner-Chicken-Dinner

Post edited by ItsCeo on