AoA advanced lights broken in 4.7?

RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 901

None of my lights from Age of Armour work in 4.7. I try to load one and it just comes in as a 'light' without any of the special features and in fact, doesn't appear to actually be working as a light. Is this a known issue? Or there a fix?

Comments

• RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 901
    edited December 1969

I had DIM uninstall it and reinstall it and it works now. I'm not sure what happened honestly. They work in old scenes as well as new ones. *wipes forehead* back to rendering!

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,645
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure why they'd have vanished, but with shaders there are files that need to go in the application folder - presumably they were somehow lost. If you'd changed the location of DS, for example if you'd had a stand-alone install before and used DIM now, that would account for it -and would also affect any other shaders or plug-ins you have.

• eiliestleiliestl Posts: 100
    edited December 1969

Mine aren't working ether . All of the files are in the right places . But it's still not working . Somebody please help..

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,645
    edited December 1969

Are you sure all of the files, including those in sub-folders of the application folder, are correct?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,675
    edited December 1969

...did the uninstall - reinstall routine with the DIM and still none of the flagging works. Really making it difficult to work on scenes as these have become my "go to" lights. Not only do they render faster than UE, but they seem to work better with the SSS shaders.

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    edited December 1969

I've read a lot of good things about these lights and was on the point of buying them until I read this thread. Are they working for everybody now?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,327
    edited December 1969

No, they have not been fixed. The lights still work to provide illumination, but the special feature called "flagging" which allows the user to control what objects get illuminated, does not work in DS 4.7.0.12. As far as I know, neither DAZ nor AOA have responded to queries for help with this problem yet.

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    edited December 1969

Thanks for that, barbult. I'll hang on to my pennies until the problem is resolved and hope that it's soon. Standard planet earth 'soon' and not Daz 'soon'. :)

• GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure why you keep insisting that the flagging doesn't work.

In another thread on the subject, Richard clearly demonstrated that the flagging does work.

Here is another example:

This is a default Genesis with the default grey surfaces. The "Face" surface has ambient set to 1% and "Torso" surface set to 99% diffuse. All other surfaces are default.

The scene is lit with 3 AoA lights. The Ambient light is coloured red and flagged to light only surfaces set with diffuse 99%. The spot light is set to blue and flagged to light only surfaces set to 1% ambient. The distant light has no flags set but strength set to 30%.

Maybe I'm missing something here - but it looks to me like the flags work just fine.

AoAFlagTest.jpg
    1200 x 1800 - 148K
    edited December 1969

In DS 4.7.0.12, Advanced Ambient, Distant and Spot lights are handling the Lighting Control flagging incorrectly for surfaces with AoA Subsurface Shader. The lights are illuminating the AoA Subsurface Shader surface when "Don't Illuminate" is selected and not illuminating when "Illuminate Flagged Only" is selected (in other words, opposite of the selected flagging choice). The lights are working correctly for DAZ Default Shader surfaces.

To reproduce this problem:
    1) Add two primitive cubes to a new scene.
    2) Cube 1: Set the DAZ Studio Default shader diffuse channel to color red, strength 75%.
    3) Cube 2: Apply AoA Subsurface Base Shader.Set diffuse channel to color red, strength 75%.
    4) Add an Advanced Ambient Light to the scene (or Advanced Distant Light, or Advanced Spot Light, all fail the same way).
    5) Select the Advanced Ambient Light in the Scene Tab.
    6) In the Parameters Tab, change the Lighting Control to Flag Surface Shaders With=Diffuse Strength Of, Diffuse, Ambient or IOR value=75, If Surface is Flagged=Don't Illuminate.
    7) Render the Scene.
    8) Observe that the Cube 1 is not illuminated (correct) and Cube 2 is illuminated (incorrect).
    9) In the Parameters Tab, change the Lighting Control to Flag Surface Shaders With=Diffuse Strength Of, Diffuse, Ambient or IOR value=75, If Surface is Flagged=Illuminate Flagged Only.
    10) Render the Scene.
    11) Observe that the Cube 1 is illuminated (correct) and Cube 2 is not illuminated (incorrect).

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,675
    edited December 1969

...I have seen the same results when using SSS.

• GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

Ahh, I haven't bumped into that before. Is the problem limited to this shader only?

• RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 901
    edited December 1969

Thankfully I don't use the lights in that manner for SSS. I generally only set them to do alternate shading on hair and other semi-transparent surfaces. Since my uninstall and reinstall they've worked fine. My only outstanding issue in DS4.7 now is that if I enable LAMH I get the dreaded "WriteAuth" error on starting Daz and no amount of uninstalling or reinstalling fixes it.

edited December 1969

Gone said:
    Ahh, I haven't bumped into that before. Is the problem limited to this shader only?
    I don't know. Once I started having these problems, I considered it unreliable and frustrating and stopped trying to use the flagging feature. I wrote a bug report, but there have been no updates to the 4.7 yet.
    edited December 1969

This isn't working in 4.8....

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,333
    edited December 1969

You need to reinstall them for them to work in the beta.

edited May 2015

You need to reinstall them for them to work in the beta.

Yeah ....done that. They still aren't working. Even with the files in the correct folders ...

Still looks like this in DAZ

troubleshooting_light_installer.jpg
    399 x 365 - 42K
    File.png
    1600 x 900 - 230K
    Post edited by eiliestl on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,333
    edited December 1969

They're working fine for me - did you use DIM to reinstall them - I had it uninstall them then reinstalled them?

edited May 2015

They're working fine for me - did you use DIM to reinstall them - I had it uninstall them then reinstalled them?

Yes. And then I placed the files in the Admin folder. But nothing has changed.
    What is the correct way to uninstall them?

Post edited by eiliestl on