New Comp...Still Need An Answer Aug21/2021

Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,334

I am going to be installing Daz 4.14 on a newer computer over the next week or so, along with various paid and free items I've collect. Please don't suggest 4.15, I'm not touching it and I will be manually installing.

#1 Daz should install the same on Win10 that it does on Win7, is there anything different I should know?

#2 C Drive is an SSD and not a very large one, less then 400G so I have to be careful how much is installed on it. D Drive is 2T so that is where my external runtimes/mylibraries will be. I've been using 4.12 the past couple years, so don't know if 4.14 is the same for telling Daz where the drives are. Is the newer version different when it comes to this?

#3 I know most of what I install can be put on the other drive. There are some things I'm not sure of...shaders, scripts, lights, any of the main head & body morphs I have for the different versions of genesis. In short, I have no problem installing Daz and Hexagon on C Drive, is there anything I can't install on the other drive?

I may have more questions later so will bookmark this thread for that purpose. Thank you in advance for any and all help.

Post edited by Faeryl Womyn on

Comments

• 1 Not that I can recall

2 Same, as far as I recall, except perhaps that you have the option to set the database location now

3 anything that installs "like a plug-in" will go in the application folder - that's actual plug-ins and some, older for the most part, scripts and shaders. Morphs can go anywhere, they are just content

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,334
    edited July 2021

Great and thanks.

#4 Below are the specs for this newer computer. What I need to know is driver information and where to get what I need. I am not particularly set on using iray preview and probably can't use it with the graphics card. I was more interested in being able to use dforce since the old computer couldn't handle that. Oh and I'm working on getting a better graphics card, it will take some time though.

Edit...forgot to mention I actually have 32 gigs of ram

Computer Parts.PNG
    720 x 152 - 28K
    GTX 650 nVidia Graphics Card.PNG
    663 x 333 - 30K
    More Graphics Card Info.PNG
    895 x 266 - 29K
  • I'm prety sure the GTX650 is not supported by iray even in DS 4.14, not absolutely sure about dForce and I don't know if the Intel OpenCL driver will work with that CPU.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,604

That 32 gig of DDR isn't going to do much with DS and those specs, sorry to tell you.

Richard

I checked which one's they stopped supporting and the 650 is not on the list, I made sure of that. Also, even if they did stop support, does not mean it can't still be used. Since I have the openGL 4.2 then dforce should not be a problem.

What's wrong with my cpu, it's an i5 and definitely much better then what I have been using which was standard 15 yr old quad core and a radeon amd 3400 series graphics card and only 4 gigs of computer memory and openCL worked on it. The only thing I could not get was the openGL I just stated, preventing me from using dforce.

FSMCDesigns I beg to differ. You can see what my old computer is, and I could do renders no problem, even iray if I wanted to wait all day for a render. The only thing I couldn't do was dforce because I didn't have a card what would use openGL. Since the newer computer is miles above the old one, I don't see how I would have a problem running Daz.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,123
    edited July 2021
    Faeryl Woman, I don't think you will get much in the way of iRay out of the graphics card, I am sorry to say, even if it is supported. I have a 6 GB GTX1060 card, and that occasionally drops to CPU for rendering because it's not big enough. As a rule of thumb, you need 2Gb/character for G3/G8 in iRay. I originally had a 1 GB Quadro 2000 in the machine, and it never once rendered in GPU starting at 4.10. It should work through CPU, but as you know, that's much slower (for one portrait, getting the GTX 1060 dropped the render time on my machine from 52 mins to 3 mins). Hopefully you can do dForce on the card, it has CUDA cores which are supposed to be able to do dForce - the only way to be certain would be to find the max driver version the card can support and see if it's higher than the minimum for DS 4.14. I hope you are right.
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • Faeryl Womyn said:

Richard

I checked which one's they stopped supporting and the 650 is not on the list, I made sure of that. Also, even if they did stop support, does not mean it can't still be used. Since I have the openGL 4.2 then dforce should not be a problem.

dForce uses OpenCL, not OpenGL, and I would expect the GPU to work for that - it was only iray that I thought was dropped.

What's wrong with my cpu, it's an i5 and definitely much better then what I have been using which was standard 15 yr old quad core and a radeon amd 3400 series graphics card and only 4 gigs of computer memory and openCL worked on it. The only thing I could not get was the openGL I just stated, preventing me from using dforce.

I said i didn't know if the CPU was supported by the Intel openCL driver, not that it wasn't - it's sixth generation and I think they are now up to ten, so it may well be OK.

FSMCDesigns I beg to differ. You can see what my old computer is, and I could do renders no problem, even iray if I wanted to wait all day for a render. The only thing I couldn't do was dforce because I didn't have a card what would use openGL. Since the newer computer is miles above the old one, I don't see how I would have a problem running Daz.

Ok great, thank Richard

richardandtracy said:

Faeryl Woman, I don't think you will get much in the way of iRay out of the graphics card, I am sorry to say, even if it is supported. I have a 6 GB GTX1060 card, and that occasionally drops to CPU for rendering because it's not big enough. As a rule of thumb, you need 2Gb/character for G3/G8 in iRay. I originally had a 1 GB Quadro 2000 in the machine, and it never once rendered in GPU starting at 4.10. It should work through CPU, but as you know, that's much slower (for one portrait, getting the GTX 1060 dropped the render time on my machine from 52 mins to 3 mins). Hopefully you can do dForce on the card, it has CUDA cores which are supposed to be able to do dForce - the only way to be certain would be to find the max driver version the card can support and see if it's higher than the minimum for DS 4.14. I hope you are right.

IRay's not an issue right now because I'm not really interested in using it and I do plan on getting a better graphics card, though will take a while. I only want iRay if I do come across something that needs it, which I haven't yet. Dforce was my main concern.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,123

Done a quick look at the nVidia site, and it suggests the latest driver standard for your card is 471.41 - in other words the latest release. So dForce should work the same on your card as on mine. HTH.

Richard

Thank you Richard #2, will have my son in law update that for me. Last time I tried to update a graphics card driver, I messed it up...lol

Hey Richard or richard or anyone else....

Question #5.....When I install the head and body morphs and all the characters I have into a separate My Library on another drive then the main program, will Daz access those morphs when loading say G8, thereby causing longer load times.

I'm asking cause, if that's the case, I was thinking of disconnecting that particular library in Content Directory and only add it again when I want to use the variouis morphs.

Question #6.....Does the Dforce Essentials have to be installed on Cdrive with the program or can it be installed on my D drive, where I have my externals set up.

• 5 DS will scan all of the attached content directories for assets like moprhs and UV sets.

6 content does not care where it is installed, as long as the root folder is set as a Daz Studio content directory.

Thanks for both answers Richard.

#7 This one is going to be a litte more tricky, cause when it comes to installing programs on a different drive then what was intended, I'm kinda clueless.

I have both 4.14 and 4.12 versions of Daz, if memory servers me correctly, I can't have both 64 bit versions installed on Cdrive? If I can install both on C, exactly how do I do that so they both work properly. If not, then how do I have 4.14 on Cdrive and 4.12 on Ddrive and have both programs access installed content.

I have never installed software on a different drive before, don't even know how to use software installed on a different then normal drive. So basically I need instruction dumbed down quite a bit, pictures help, video is even better. I didn't find any video's in my search, though maybe someone here knows of a video about this?

• Daz doesn't support having two versions from the same release channel (general or public build) installed at once, and it's not something I've tried to do. Having a Public Build (beta) in one version and a General release in another should be fine, and could be done through DIM simply by chnaging the software path (if you actually want them on separate drives - they use their own fodlers so they can both be on the same drive without issues).

Ok so I can have the 4.14 64 bit version and the 4.12 32 bit version on Cdrive, it's what I had on the old computer with win7. However I am using win10 on this newer one and want to make sure I can still do that. I don't have to have 4.12 64 bit,

• Yes, that is fine as long as nothing in the saved settings causes conflcits because of the different versions - and if it worked for you before under Windows 7 I can't see why it wouldn't under Windows 10.

ok Great, thanks Richard

Quick question #8

I have the 4.12 32 bit version and will be installing it tomorrow. What I need to know is if dforce works in the 32 bit version, I know it does the 64 bit version, however I am away not everything works in 32 bit, such as iray.

• Richard Haseltine said:

Daz doesn't support having two versions from the same release channel (general or public build) installed at once, and it's not something I've tried to do. Having a Public Build (beta) in one version and a General release in another should be fine, and could be done through DIM simply by chnaging the software path (if you actually want them on separate drives - they use their own fodlers so they can both be on the same drive without issues).

Can I disagree a bit with this.

I have 4.10, 4.11, 4.12, 4.14 and 4.15  on my machine at the same time, all 64 bit. And I can use them all too. How? Well, I initially install them correctly in the default directory, then re-name that directory just before installing the next one. They all use the same registry entries etc. The dForce thing seems to re-compile prior to use with a different version, otherwise it works as if nothing happens. The difference is I can see the different version on the splash screen.

Regards,

Richard.

• richardandtracy said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Daz doesn't support having two versions from the same release channel (general or public build) installed at once, and it's not something I've tried to do. Having a Public Build (beta) in one version and a General release in another should be fine, and could be done through DIM simply by chnaging the software path (if you actually want them on separate drives - they use their own fodlers so they can both be on the same drive without issues).

Can I disagree a bit with this.

I have 4.10, 4.11, 4.12, 4.14 and 4.15  on my machine at the same time, all 64 bit. And I can use them all too. How? Well, I initially install them correctly in the default directory, then re-name that directory just before installing the next one. They all use the same registry entries etc. The dForce thing seems to re-compile prior to use with a different version, otherwise it works as if nothing happens. The difference is I can see the different version on the splash screen.

Regards,

Richard.

I did say not supported and I haven't tried, rather than impossible.

Question #9

Having an issue with Hexagon. There is a 2.5 and a beta showing up in my product library and I forget which one is 64 bit. Also, there's no download link unless I use one of the installers. Why did they remove that option, I don't like download helpers.

• The beta is the 64 bit.

I see a manual installer for the non-beta application but, and this does seem odd, not for the content.

edited August 2021

The Beta is the 64 bit version, the other is only a 32 bit version. I can see it better now that I'm not so tired.  Still it's an issue to not be able to just download and install. I think I can use DIM, just have to remember where to get the download...lol

Ok used the install manager and have it installed now.

Question #10

I am wondering about this Postgre SQL CMS that shows up in the window of the image I attached. I'm not going to get to choose what to install according to that window, when I open DIM. I already know I can close the window or not have it show up again. My reason for asking about this is because I seem to recall needing that Postgre thing. I remember Richard helped me quite some time ago in getting it and where to install it. Now I need help with it again, if I still need it.

Question #11

Where are the DMC files for the Genesis Models?

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,263

Faeryl Womyn said:

Question #11

Where are the DMC files for the Genesis Models?

https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_42071 for Genesis 8. They're with the Starter Essentials for whichever generation in your product library.

• Faeryl Womyn said:

Question #10

I am wondering about this Postgre SQL CMS that shows up in the window of the image I attached. I'm not going to get to choose what to install according to that window, when I open DIM. I already know I can close the window or not have it show up again. My reason for asking about this is because I seem to recall needing that Postgre thing. I remember Richard helped me quite some time ago in getting it and where to install it. Now I need help with it again, if I still need it.

PostgreSQL is the database that handles the Content Management System. Using DIM it will install to the same root folder as other software, by default ending up in C:/Program Files/Daz 3D/PostgreSQL CMS/ but you can change that.

Gordig ... I got the G2 dmc files, the print is very light and small so missed it. G1 didn't have the dmc files for download though and are not in the essentials I downloaded.

Secondly...that link is to the G8 Essentials which has been updated for G8.1, so is the dmc in that package for the original model or the newer 8.1 version?

Richard, my problem is that I'm not getting just the Postgre for download, there is a list of things to download and I can't uncheck them. I forgot to upload the picture last time, so here it what I'm seeing.

what's this.PNG
    425 x 480 - 28K